UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Vintage Electronics in Selsey (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=167398)

bigfathairyvika 1st Jun 2020 1:04 pm

Vintage Electronics in Selsey

Hi all,

Any views on the vintage electronics company in Selsey , West Sussex.
I ask because I inquired about payment and was told cash or 'paypal friends and family'.
Which has fired the alarm bells in my head.
I am thinking about spending a substantial amount of money and the two payment options are not protected at all.

Mark

Dave Moll 1st Jun 2020 2:39 pm

Re: Vintage Electronics in Selsey

Any company requesting payment via PayPal friends and family is in breach of PayPal policy.

Reelman 1st Jun 2020 3:26 pm

I don’t know the firm at all but their prices do seem rather high. Up to £30 for a OC44? £10 for a Hunts capacitor?
Peter

Electronpusher0 1st Jun 2020 3:56 pm

I do not know the company but the address is a residential property.

Peter

Radio Wrangler 1st Jun 2020 7:01 pm

People can get a little uppity if their business or prices get criticised, so I shall refrain from comment and either buy or not buy there based on my private opinion.

I suspect we are not his target market, but I may have to revise my home insurance to cover my spare valve boxes, either that or sell a lot of the 6SN7s.

David

bigfathairyvika 1st Jun 2020 7:50 pm

I am not spending just a couple of quid, but around £1400 for an item that is worth £1400.
It is just that there is no registration at companies house or anything on google!
Usually there is a google review or a website comment or at least something.

I have just spoken to a friend who believes he may have delt with them about ten years ago, and "he seemed like a nice guy".

I think I will email or phone him and ask what the price would be if I paid by ordinary paypal.
It is a long way ( for me ) to go and buy something and then an awful lot of hassle if something goes wrong.

I'm not looking for someone to "slag him off" , that just wouldn't be right, on or off the forum.
I'm looking really for something to reassure me in parting with a large sum of money.

Mark

60 oldjohn 1st Jun 2020 7:58 pm

Have you seen a picture of said item? if so do a google search to see if that picture is used anywhere else on the web. Not fool proof but may help make your decision. Ask for a picture from a different angle.

John.

bigfathairyvika 1st Jun 2020 8:37 pm

Ok, I've checked the pictures, all kosher.
Also , just found info linking him to "Colormor Valves"!
Many many many years ago I used to buy stuff from them. Didn't know they were still running.
But, they do have a different address, maybe he has retired and does stuff from home.
With this new info , I'm getting more happy with dealing with him.
Hopefully, I should beable to sort something out regarding the payment.

Mark.

Electronpusher0 1st Jun 2020 8:42 pm

Also trades as "Sussex Surplus"

Peter

Petedox 2nd Jun 2020 11:18 pm

I've bought from here, no problems at all.

On a lower value purchase I guess he is used to accomodating the Paypal fee. But it would be around £50 on a value of £1400, so can see why he would suggest a way of reducing his costs. I don't necessarily condone it, but in these difficult trading times I can understand why.

Diabolical Artificer 3rd Jun 2020 2:30 pm

"On a lower value purchase I guess he is used to accomodating the Paypal fee. But it would be around £50 on a value of £1400, so can see why he would suggest a way of reducing his costs. I don't necessarily condone it, but in these difficult trading times I can understand why" That may be the case but the buyer isn't protected by a F&F transaction as you would be by paying with a card or regular PP business transaction.

For that amount of money I'd want all the protection I could get, if something goes wrong your bugg***d. It it's a business PP fees and other stuff like VAT should be taken into consideration by the seller, not much of a business if not.

Andy.

Joe_Lorenz 3rd Jun 2020 10:10 pm

A while ago I faced a similar situation - tempted to buy rare auto parts from a company at a residential address next to metro area Chicago (US). I was absolutely not sure if this would go the right way as it was about rare items and a lot of money, few written conversation, poor spelling and grammar, poor photos. What to do?
I finally decided to collect the merchandise in person and pay cash: Well, I met a nice person, received good parts and paid good cash. Both parties happy!

Regards, Joe

John Caswell 3rd Jun 2020 10:59 pm

If this person is associated with Colomor and his name is G********i, I suspect he is the son of the man that ran Colomor on Goldhawk Road London W12 long long ago. If that is the case he and his wife were at the Audiojumble in February. I believe he has retired and is selling stuff off.

John

Electronpusher0 4th Jun 2020 7:19 am

If you go on the website there are contact numbers, landline and mobile.
Why not try talking to them, you may feel more confident after.

Peter

Craig Sawyers 4th Jun 2020 9:57 am

Colomor is very much alive and kicking. I've bought from their webshop quite a number of times, which I think is now their sole trading vehicle.

Companies House says https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...07353/officers .

There is also Langrex, also in West Sussex https://www.langrex.co.uk/contact/ . I've bought a bunch of obscure and often period valve bases from them.

Craig

bigfathairyvika 4th Jun 2020 11:12 am

No worries here.

I've been contacted by ampmatt who is his son who also runs a valve sales company.

Son, father and grandfather each running separate valve sales companies. Quite a family business and been running for many years.

And I have a trusted friend who has dealt face to face with Michael.

Of course I will ask for a receipt before completing the purchase as I would rather lose my petrol money than buy something without a receipt.

Best regards to all, Mark.

CambridgeWorks 4th Jun 2020 1:33 pm

I wonder if whoever it is might be receiving some sort of furlough payment and doesn't want to lose that status by having any business payment made?
Rob

Guest 4th Jun 2020 1:53 pm

You can do other work under furlough. I would insist on paying by "real" paypal and if all goes well refund half their fee. Trust on both sides.

Diabolical Artificer 5th Jun 2020 5:54 pm

Quote:

You can do other work under furlough. I would insist on paying by "real" paypal and if all goes well refund half their fee. Trust on both sides.
That's a good idea.

Andy.

bigfathairyvika 6th Jun 2020 5:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Just so you know, met Michael today, absolutely lovely bloke. I think after loading up, I spent another hour and a half chatting. If anyone needs a portable mast this IS the man to see. The mast I bought is far far better than expected.

I may have to travel down there again to buy more stuff.

Regards to all, from a very happy Mark.