UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Analogue DX-TV in 2018 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146664)

SteveCG 18th May 2018 1:32 pm

Analogue DX-TV in 2018

I've been listening out, on and off over the last few months for any sign of residual activity in Band I ('Low band' for our American readers), principally on channel R1 - but to no avail. It could be that the remaining analogue transmitters have finally closed down.

Has anybody had success?

linescan87 18th May 2018 1:58 pm

Re: Analogue DX-TV in 2018

Hi Steve,

I'm sure I read somewhere last year that Russian and Ukrainian band 1 transmitters would be on until early 2019. Hopefully they haven't brought forward the closedown.

Cheers, John Joe.

SteveCG 19th May 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for that John.

I'll keep listening since we are now in the SpE season.

radioredcat 20th May 2018 12:53 pm

Russian analogue TV on band 1 is alive and well as I have seen many carriers and had Russia 1 on may 10/05/18 49.757.

https://youtu.be/9eGGpB1iOQ0

Also another video from 26/12/17.

https://youtu.be/oZo1COXSrjI

Andy

1955APREN 20th May 2018 9:39 pm

Hi DXers

I was about to ask the same question as Steve. Nothing seen on band 1 so far this year, but possibly I have not spent enough time in the shed. A lot of gardening work requires doing but keep popping into shed for a quick look.

Andy. Thanks for confirming that Band1 is still live, I will keep looking.

Derrick

SteveCG 21st May 2018 2:39 pm

Yes, Derrick, it seems that Andy's reception findings shows we both need to 'spend more time in the shed' !

stuie319 21st May 2018 3:13 pm

This is very interesting news, I though it had all gone.
Perhaps my D100 unit may be saved from the bin for a while longer!

Regards,

Stu

HamishBoxer 21st May 2018 3:23 pm

Yes my D100 has not been used for a few years, time to get that Band 1 aerial up.

MultiDERrentals 21st May 2018 7:07 pm

Yes Andy is spot on, although it's still early in the sporadic E season there have been several openings to Russia on band 1 and one of them was good enough to give pictures on channels R1, 2 and 3 with the later being up at 77MHz. So it's definitely worth a last go at analogue TV Es DXing if you have a D100 and aerial lying around doing nothing....it could be last chance saloon this year!

SteveCG 23rd May 2018 12:49 pm

No TV yet, but this morning, for the first time, I was hearing Radio Amateurs in the 6m band whose signal strengths were rising and falling in that characteristic SpE manner.

radioredcat 23rd May 2018 1:04 pm

Hi Steve I had Spanish hams in this morning but didn't last long I have at the moment band 1 carriers 49.750 1 TV from St Petersburg and another on 49.739 no ID on that one yet.

Andy

SteveCG 23rd May 2018 1:12 pm

Andy, I'm away from my receiving set-up at the moment, but I'll be on the look-out this afternoon! Certainly those are the frequencies I am checking.

SteveCG 25th May 2018 2:26 pm

Wednesday afternoon brought R1 vision (-ve offset) and R1 sound (which seemed to be distorted and not due to SpE variations). I even saw a vestige of a female announcer when the signal was strong enough to overcome the local interference - the sound fitted in with the announcer.

radioredcat 26th May 2018 10:44 am

Nice one Steve I had to go out that afternoon so missed the late afternoons opening anyway no further action since Weds.

Andy

SteveCG 30th May 2018 10:44 am

Nothing since my last report - except for impressive lightning crackles on Sat and Sun - seemed to be continuous for hour after hour, VHF at 50 Mc/s and MW about 800 kc/s.

Hybrid tellies 31st May 2018 9:10 am

I have seen a few Sporadic E openings this year on FM with openings mostly to the south towards Iberia and northwest Africa just using the receivers telescopic rod aerial, some of the signals received in stereo and with RDS. So far I have not seen any TV signals on R1 or R2 but I hope to before the end of the sporadic E season.
Interesting mention about lightning static. As a rule of thumb during daylight hours if you hear lightning static on the Long wave band the storms can be up to 500 miles or more distant, on medium wave on the low end the range decreases to 300 miles at the low end to 150 miles at the top end. The range decreases as you go up through the short wave bands. If you start to hear lightning static on the 11m short wave band and into the low VHF bands such as band 1 the storm or storms are in your locality and within 40-50 miles of your location,
Using an App on my smartphone and a portable AM radio I was able to track a line of storms heading up from France. I first noticed strong bursts of static on the top end of medium wave as the line of storm got closer the bursts of static could be heard through the short wave bands and when it reached the 26Mhz or 11m band I could see and hear the approaching storm. After that it was time to run inside and take shelter ;D.

Back in the days of real TV during thundery weather I can remember watching interference free 405 pictures on ITV on VHF band 3 and 625 BBC2 on UHF band 4 but BBC1 which was on 405 band 1 was being badly affected by strong bursts of lightning static. More recently whilst TV dx' ing thundery weather and sporadic E openings would often coincide so you could be watching a strong TV signal on band 1 from Spain with the effects of interference from nearby lightning. To me this was all part of what summer was about.

radioredcat 31st May 2018 12:39 pm

1 Attachment(s)
There has been little activity on band 1 but as Simon said there has been prop to South so far so hopefully conditions will pickup.

On Saturday the bands 1 SDR had constant lines on the waterfall these were lightning strikes from Birmingham 70 miles from here see screenshot below.

Attachment 163897

Andy

SteveCG 1st Jun 2018 11:07 am

Simon,

I agree with your distance estimates. Hopefully 'quieter' weather may make listening less risky for the front end of the receiver...

radioredcat 1st Jun 2018 7:59 pm

Good signals on band 1 now.

Andy

1955APREN 1st Jun 2018 10:59 pm

Today 9;25 utc Not had much time today to do any Dx'ing , but thought would give a try at 22;00 st . I was just about two give in when a quick heave storm started so I had to stay in shed a little longer , worth it at 9;25utc a very quick burst of R1 appeared with colour but very red. Sound was also present (DR) but it
had loud noise in back ground . Signal lasted just for a few sec's .
Derrick:thumbsup: