UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   LED sewing magnifier at Lidl - £5.99 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=140739)

g4aaw pete 22nd Oct 2017 5:46 pm

LED sewing magnifier at Lidl - £5.99

4 Attachment(s)
I have no business interests in Lidl, but keep any a watch on their non-food offers.

Today, I spotted the above. Reasonably well made for the price.
The magnification factor is given as x2 with the 120mm lens & x4 with the 28mm lens.

Only criticism would be that the LED light is at right angles to first support bar (below the lens).
This means it's difficult to get it to shine directly on the object being viewed.

The batteries are 2 x LR1142.

Regards
Pete

Philips210 22nd Oct 2017 8:29 pm

Re: LED sewing magnifier at Lidl - £5.99

Hi Pete.

I've tried to find the magnifier in their non-food weekly leaflet but can't seem to see it listed. I appreciate that it may be offered only in certain regions of the UK. Is the item shown in your local weekly leaflet?

Regards
Symon.

g4aaw pete 22nd Oct 2017 9:51 pm

Hello Symon

You're right, it's not shown on their site.
However, they had lots of them.
Perhaps it was a special from the week before that didn't sell very well!

Regards
Pete

Philips210 22nd Oct 2017 10:38 pm

OK Pete, I'll have a look in my local branch tomorrow. Thanks.

Regards
Symon

Philips210 23rd Oct 2017 3:43 pm

Hi.

I enquired about the magnifier at my local Lidl shop and the lady that I spoke to told me that item was available two weeks ago, though I can't actually remember seeing it. She checked if there were any left in the warehouse but couldn't help. She also suggested trying other branches that may still be holding stock.
Quite often with Lidl, the same item becomes available again after a fashion.

Regards
Symon

g4aaw pete 27th Oct 2017 8:10 pm

Sorry for the miss-direction on this.
Looks like it was a re-run of an earlier promotion, so not generally available.

Regards
Pete

Alvin 28th Oct 2017 12:06 pm

A quick search on line shows Lidl have it on offer from Monday for just 4.99 but don't all rush at once as that's 4.99 euros in their Cyprus stores!! https://www.lidl.com.cy/en/offers.htm?id=249&week=2

paulsherwin 28th Oct 2017 2:51 pm

This is completely normal for Lidl (and Aldi). They often have non-food items in stock for only a week or two. I think the idea is to encourage people (particularly men) to visit the stores frequently to see what goodies are available. They drag their womenfolk along with them who will then do the family shop there rather than at Tesco etc.

Herald1360 29th Oct 2017 9:46 am

As a marketing ploy, it works, at least the first bit!

:-/

kalee20 29th Oct 2017 8:26 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I bought a similar magnifier, combined with a dinky little work holder, yesterday (Barnstaple branch), same price £5-99, also a temperature controlled soldering iron (£17-99) which I've not tried yet. They've both been in-stock over a week, first time I saw them I didn't bother, but I've had second thoughts and luckily hadn't missed the boat!

Leaving aside the danger warnings associated with the magnifier/clamp (seek IMMEDIATE medical attention if you swallow the batteries; death by suffocation can occur if you put the plastic bag they're in my very your head; etc) they both look the usual, pretty good, Lidl value for money. The iron even comes with a couple of small reels of solder (proper 60Sn/40Pb, not the lead-free stuff, if the label is to be believed!). The power lead to the iron looks PVC, not heatproof silicone, that's the only disappointment I can see. If it does what it says on the box - and I'll bet it does - then I'll be going back for a couple more!

turretslug 30th Oct 2017 4:58 pm

I saw the soldering iron station, too, and hesitated if only because it seemed too good to be true! I tend to think of the trusty but basic Antex mains irons at around £20- £25 as about the minimum expenditure on a decent iron- but I'm happy to be surprised.... Perhaps if the local stocks last a few more days I might weaken.

ParcGwyn 30th Oct 2017 6:35 pm

I have purchased the magnifier with soldering iron holder and the soldering station. I am very pleased with both, the only complaint is with the flexibility of the lead to the soldering iron.

Dave

GW7ONS