UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Telephony and Telecomms (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Old Bell Set 1 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180776)

almamater 2nd Jun 2021 4:59 pm

Old Bell Set 1

4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I am new here and i don't know how to make the connections to this vintage bell that I have.

Recently I found this at my grandfather's house, some years ago (90's) this bell was connected to a regular phone line to ring at the same time as the phone (louder) and for he can hear outside of the house..

[img]************************94ycXkwG/IMG-5403.jpg[/img]

[img]************************zbj5KRjv/IMG-5404.jpg[/img]

Now I want to try use it the same way, it is possible connect this at the new phone line? I have one optic fibre Net\TV\Phone service.

Can I wire this bell together with the phone wires? Is there any schematic that I can follow?

[img]************************R694WTw2/IMG-5405.jpg[/img]

[img]************************V0kwRLGR/IMG-5406.jpg[/img]

Thank you.

Dave Moll 2nd Jun 2021 7:19 pm

Re: Old Bell Set 1

The bellset no. 1, which should contain an induction coil and condenser (capacitor) as well as the bell, is intended for use with a telephone (such as no. 150 pillar telephone) which doesn't have its own induction coil.

What is shown in the images, however, no longer has an induction coil and, as far as I can see, has the capacitor at the bottom connected between the two bell coils. If this is the case, you could try connecting the two outer terminals below the bell motor across the telephone line (in parallel with any telephone equipment on the line). You may find that this bell (rated at 1,000Ω) draws too much current in addition to any other ringers on the line, in which case it would be necessary to connect a 3.3KΩ resistor between one terminal and its line connection. It doesn't matter to which end this resistor is connected.

Graham G3ZVT 3rd Jun 2021 2:00 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Mine was always a Bell No 1A, it was on the kitchen wall covered in white emulation when we got the house in '77

Polishing off the anodising was probably a mistake, as was the polyurethane varnish.

almamater 4th Jun 2021 11:48 am

Re: Old Bell Set 1.

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Moll (Post 1379838)
The bellset no. 1, which should contain an induction coil and condenser (capacitor) as well as the bell, is intended for use with a telephone (such as no. 150 pillar telephone) which doesn't have its own induction coil.

What is shown in the images, however, no longer has an induction coil and, as far as I can see, has the capacitor at the bottom connected between the two bell coils. If this is the case, you could try connecting the two outer terminals below the bell motor across the telephone line (in parallel with any telephone equipment on the line). You may find that this bell (rated at 1,000Ω) draws too much current in addition to any other ringers on the line, in which case it would be necessary to connect a 3.3KΩ resistor between one terminal and its line connection. It doesn't matter to which end this resistor is connected.

Thanks for your response.

So, should I connect the bell with capacitor in parallel ? I have this connections:

[img]************************YGX2tYrM/IMG-5412.jpg[/img]

The capacitor is connected to L2 and R, Motor Bell to T and L1 and then the R and T are connected together.

Should I connect the telephone line to T and L1 and leave the capacitor disconnected?

Thank you

These images show better the connections that i have on my Bell :)

giraffenigel 6th Jun 2021 9:42 am

You will need the capacitor if you want to connect it to a VOIP line, so I'd try L1 and L2

Dave Moll 6th Jun 2021 9:59 am

Thanks for clarification of the wiring. Apologies that I have ony just seen your post. Although the wiring is certainly more conventional than that of the assumption I made earlier, my earlier wiring advice remains valid, as confirmed by Nigel.

If, however, you wish to utilise a master socket capacitor, connect the A leg of the line (usually white) to L1 and the ring wire (usually blue) to R (or T, as they're strapped together).

almamater 10th Jun 2021 12:33 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the responses!

The bell is working !! I tested with one 3.3K resistor but makes a very low sound, without resistor works normally :)

http://youtu.be/iuc62piqmIY