UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Uher Royal de Luxe Unidentified Insulated Strip (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163878)

DMcMahon 14th Feb 2020 7:24 pm

Uher Royal de Luxe Unidentified Insulated Strip

3 Attachment(s)
On 2 of my 4 Uher Royal de Luxe machines when I first removed the rear cover, a small (around 15 x 60 mm) insulated Paxolin type material strip fell out.

I think they had both been loose and rattling around before the covers were removed. Obviously had been glued onto something but despite looking many times I cannot see where they belong.

On the 2 machines where they did not fall out, there is also no obvious sign of them.

So just wondering if any Uher users have seen them before and know where they belong.

Refugee 15th Feb 2020 1:17 am

Re: Uher Royal de Luxe Unidentified Insulated Strip

Just follow the mains and motor wiring looking for a place where there is mains wiring close to chassis metal.
It will be from the place where the connections are closest to the chassis.

DMcMahon 15th Feb 2020 10:31 am

Thank you Refugee, that is good input, I will check that out but not straight away.

David

DMcMahon 19th Feb 2020 12:05 am

2 Attachment(s)
Have closely checked 2 units, but still no obvious sign where the strip belongs. 4 more to check, hopefully one of them might still have the Paxolin strip in place.

Refugee 19th Feb 2020 12:42 am

I would be looking between the power switch and the printed circuit and the same for the motor switching and capacitor.
there is a rotary switch and a pot near the power switch. You will need to take the wooden sleeve that carries the speakers off.

DMcMahon 19th Feb 2020 10:29 am

2 Attachment(s)
I am at the power connection/mains switch area now, I am going to replace the continental 2 core mains cable with 3 core so that the unit is properly earthed.

Having done this many times before, I know that it is a lot easier to say than actually do it. It will be virtually impossible to remove old cable from the cable strain relief bush and even if cable did come out then even more impossible to get new larger diameter cable back through the old bush.

So will have to cut off the cable and bush (bush goes rock hard) and fit a new strain relief bush, but even then really difficult to get the new bush and new cable to fit and clamp down (even after enlarging the mounting hole in the panel) I do not have the insertion/clamp tool for these bushes.

Of course could just use a rubber cable grommet, but even then not easy to get ones that fit the panel hole and hold the cable tight, that is the good thing about the bushes is that they hold the cable really tight and stop cable pull through. Sometime I must get one of those boxes of miscellaneous sized rubber cable grommets, if could get the correct sized grommet, it would make this cable swap job a lot easier.

The 2 Paxolin strips that fell out of 2 of the Uhers had dried glue remnants on one face, so for those units I am expecting to see glue residue from where they came off.

From your description there are several possible areas where the strip could fit.

DMcMahon 21st Feb 2020 3:35 pm

1 Attachment(s)
After a bit of a struggle replaced the 2 core cable with 3 core, could not find any new cable strain relief bushes of correct size, I had a larger one that would have done but it fouled the on/off switch so would not fit. So had to re-use the old bushing, which was not easy at all.

Had to move the Vertarker (amplifier) switch a little to make it easier to solder the mains cable wires back onto the on/off switch, to do this had to disconnect the switch actuator from the metal linkage that also operates the 8 position tape speed /power off selector switch. After refitting the Verstarker switch had a hell of a job (even though had taken careful note of the switch position) to get all 8 positions to mechanical work, took a large number of fine adjustments before all working properly.

I have another 5 Uhers where the 2 core mains cable needs to be replaced, I think based upon this experience I will try and not disturb the Verstarker switch in the other units.

Replaced the 13 amp fuse in the 3 pin mains plug with a 1 amp.

Found one of the small (20mm) internal fuses at the power supply board must have blown at some stage and someone had repaired it, by soldering a piece of fuse wire across the fuse caps. No real way of knowing accurately what rating the fuse wire was, so fitted new fuse of correct rating (160mA).

Refugee 22nd Feb 2020 12:44 am

Have you looked at the inside of the screen that goes over the motor capacitor and voltage selector?

DMcMahon 22nd Feb 2020 10:12 am

Yes I have done on the unit where I replaced the mains cable and also my Uher I was comparing it to. I have not yet done on the 2 units where the Paxolin strip fell out of.