UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Odd email notifications (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151168)

lesmw0sec 7th Nov 2018 10:22 am

Odd email notifications

I sometimes experience an odd effect with email notifications. I'll frequently get notifications regarding an addition to an old posting while sometimes no notification arrives regarding a more recent one. Is there some reason for this selectivity?

Les.

Paul Stenning 7th Nov 2018 10:48 am

Re: Odd email notifications

You will only get an email notification if you subscribe to a thread, and this is off by default. Most likely you are subscribed to the older threads but not to the newer ones.

When subscribed you get one email per thread on the first update, and no further emails for that thread until you revisit the forum.

lesmw0sec 7th Nov 2018 10:54 am

Ah - got it. Thanks!

Refugee 7th Nov 2018 11:01 am

I once found a website that emailed me every time I logged on.
The check box was hiding in the PM console.
Paul has set it up the same way as I would have set it up.

Paul Stenning 7th Nov 2018 11:30 am

The more emails a website sends, the more likely that IP is to get flagged as a spammer. I have tried to set it to send the emails needed or requested only, within the options available.

The whole point of subscribing to threads is to alert you that there has been activity and to invite you back to view it, not so you can monitor the whole thread by email notifications.

There are some systems when it is useful and reassuring to have an email for every login or change, mainly things where I would never expect anyone else to log into my account and need to know if they do (such as web hosting admin panels).

Refugee 7th Nov 2018 12:36 pm

I think it was a mistake that had been made during a forum software update on the site concerned.

Boulevardier 7th Nov 2018 8:42 pm

There is another forum that I sometimes visit (DIY Audio) that presents you with a "front page" showing all actvity on all threads on the forum in chronological order. I find this very useful in keeping up with forum discussions. That forum has huge levels of activity with contributors all over the world, and postings that come in at the rate of many every minute. Is this just too complicated to implement for a smaller forum like UKVR?

I find UKVR an excellent, friendly and generous-spirited forum, and thank all those who keep it going, but it would be quite useful to have something similar.

Mike

Paul Stenning 8th Nov 2018 10:09 am

It comes down to what functionality is included in the forum software used, and the version of vBulletin here doesn't have anything like that.

Choosing "New Posts" or "Quick Links" -> "Today's Posts" may show some of what you want though.