UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   'Weekend' Job (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31507)

mark pirate 23rd Aug 2008 10:19 pm

'Weekend' Job

5 Attachment(s)
I took pity on this filthy early 70's itt kb weekend & liberated it from it's owner
for £2;) I remember one of my relatives having the same set & have never seen another since. As found it was covered in nicotine, paint spots & over 30 years of muck:-) a very easy set to strip down though, 3 screws in the back,
4 screws holding the scale to the case, pull off the three knobs, slide off the bottom (battery cover) & your there. Firstly i applied power, & away it went,
needing nothing more than a liberal dose of switch cleaner & a screw fitted to the base of the aerial to stop it flapping around.
After scrubbing up the various bits with detergent & reassembly it now works
well on all four wavebands;D Helped by a decent sized speaker. an unusual feature of this set,is the 'amp' pushbutton, presumably to be used
via the din socket on the side of the set?
Annoyingly it does not have a 'dc input' socket & pp9's are expensive:o
P.S. the before pictures make it look a lot better than it was!
Cheers
Mark

Steve_P 23rd Aug 2008 10:24 pm

Re: 'Weekend' Job

These sets are pretty rare. Some 70's transistor portables had problems with the Output Stage blowing every few years.

Great set!

Cheers,

Steve P.

paulsherwin 23rd Aug 2008 10:35 pm

You've done a nice job there. It's amazing what a good clean will do sometimes
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark pirate (Post 196974)
Annoyingly it does not have a 'dc input' socket & pp9's are expensive:o

I think it would be legitimate to fit a 9V DC socket discreetly round the back somewhere. If you make a good job of this it should be almost invisible when not in use.

Paul

yestertech 23rd Aug 2008 10:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark pirate (Post 196974)
IAnnoyingly it does not have a 'dc input' socket & pp9's are expensive:o

If you shop around they're not ! - try one of the electrical trade counters - I think I paid about £1.75 last time !
Even the 996 batteries ( they of the springy contacts) only cost me 1.99 each - which is great news as my Roberts 707 needs two !

Great Job ! A portable should remain, well, PORTABLE !

Andy

mark pirate 24th Aug 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks for the nice comments chaps, as Steve p says these sets must be quite rare now, as this one is the first i have seen for over 20 years!
Quote:

Great Job ! A portable should remain, well, PORTABLE !
Andy, you will be pleased to hear that this set will remain unmodified:D
As i now have made a rechargeable PP9 https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ewpost&t=31508
And the set is working well on this8-)
Cheers
Mark

slidertogrid 24th Aug 2008 9:03 pm

Great job Mark :clap: the set looks new!
My cousin had one of these sets , he found it soaking wet thrown in some ferns in a wood when out walking his dog! At the time we couldn't believe his luck as the set could have only been a few years old at the time! after drying it out with a hair drier he put a battery in it and it worked,It was the Kitchen /diner radio for years so it couldn't have minded a humid atmosphere!
I last remember it being at the back of his garage wired up to a motorcycle battery :'( this would have been mid 80s at a guess,but knowing him its probably still there!
I think yours is even better condition than his ever was maybe the muck helped protect it!
:thumbsup:
Rich.

howard 24th Aug 2008 9:56 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark pirate (Post 197068)
.... as this one is the first i have seen for over 20 years! ...........Cheers Mark

Well done Mark, they are very good sets these, indeed as are many of the 1970s ITTs. This was the first ITT I bought and I now have around 20 of them ! Ron Bryan fixed mine which wasn't working well and one of its cord pulleys was broken....

So here's the second one you've seen in 20 years ....

Howard :)

mark pirate 24th Aug 2008 11:02 pm

Hi Howard,
Quote:

So here's the second one you've seen in 20 years ....
these are nice sets, yours looks mint;D quite nice to own one of these rarer sets, i was lucky with mine as it needed minimal attention,
just a thorough clean up8-) have had it on in the workshop all day, & sounds great;)
:beer:
Mark

Nickthedentist 25th Aug 2008 7:13 pm

Where was yours made? The PCB has a Hong-Kong or Taiwan look about it.

Nick.

mark pirate 26th Aug 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Nick, yes you are right, this is a hong kong made set ;)
:beer:
Mark