UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   British Type 3 Mk.II (B2) spy radio. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159977)

bigsime 22nd Sep 2019 9:56 pm

British Type 3 Mk.II (B2) spy radio.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, while clearing out some of my late father in laws farm buildings we found this old radio set. I've done a bit of research online and found out that it was the type used by the SOE in WW2. We were wondering about its rarity and its historic value. We would like to get it working. So any info or advice would appreciated thanks Simon.

M0FYA Andy 23rd Sep 2019 7:25 am

Re: Britsh Type 3 Mk.II (B2) spy radio.

Just be aware that these radios can change hands for two or three thousand pounds, so be wary of anyone offering to take it off your hands!

Andy

HamishBoxer 23rd Sep 2019 8:27 am

Worth easy that,as it looks in excellent condition and all there.

G3VKM_Roger 23rd Sep 2019 9:08 am

I've put him in touch with VMARS and suggested, as he is close to Newark, that he takes it along to the VMARS stand at the Newark Show this week. I agree on the need for caution in selling such a set and it was good to hear that the new owner wants to put it back on the air. I wonder if this is one of the B2s sold by the RSGB on behalf of the Ministry of Supply in the mid-40s?

The G3CUW callsign was issued just post-WW2 and the owner was living in Newark in 1948, after that no sign of that call on Google.

Roger

Dave757 23rd Sep 2019 9:23 am

Hi,

G3CUW also living in Newark in 1970 Callbook, but not in 1985.

Kind regards
Dave

G3VKM_Roger 23rd Sep 2019 10:30 am

1 Attachment(s)
Came across this print in a YouTube video and thought it might be of interest.

Cheers

Roger

Vintage Engr 23rd Sep 2019 2:08 pm

That's a great find! It looks as though it has been fitted into what was intended to look like a carpenter's tool box.
Imagine trying to carry that around in occupied France!

I have one in similar condition, that I'm eventually going to restore, although mine is not in a case.

Good luck with the restoration.

David.

paulsherwin 23rd Sep 2019 2:42 pm

I would advise you against trying to restore this unless you are an expert. As has been said, these are rare and highly sought after, particularly if in good condition. Any modification or less than perfect restoration will seriously reduce the value. Nobody is going to want to use one of these as a serious amateur radio transmitter today - it's an item for collectors, and indeed museums.

James Duncan 23rd Sep 2019 5:36 pm

Re: British Type 3 Mk.II (B2) spy radio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsime (Post 1178350)
Hi all, while clearing out some of my late father in laws farm buildings we found this old radio set. I've done a bit of research online and found out that it was the type used by the SOE in WW2. We were wondering about its rarity and its historic value. We would like to get it working. So any info or advice would appreciated thanks Simon.

Do not mess with it, leave it as it is, very rare and unmolested.
Advertise on Ebay for one month and you will get a real surprise ant the collectors value on such an item
cheers
MM0HDW

ex seismic 23rd Sep 2019 7:41 pm

There are plenty of radio amateurs skilled in Morse code who enjoy using such sets and indeed restoring them. You will be aware that it is CW (morse) only and no speaker so of no real use to a casual listener. If the condition internally is anything like the outside appears to be, it might not take much to get it back on the air. It needs inspecting by a knowledgeable person and I would go along with the suggestion to take it to the VMARS stand at the hamfest at Newark this friday and saturday.

In my opinion this should be put back on the air because of it's historical interest and rarity.

Gordon
G7KNS

Graham G3ZVT 23rd Sep 2019 7:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Engr (Post 1178463)
That's a great find! It looks as though it has been fitted into what was intended to look like a carpenter's tool box.
Imagine trying to carry that around in occupied France!

https://www.cryptomuseum.com/spy/b2/index.htm

"Louis Meulstee's excellent book Wireless for the Warrior, volume 4 [1] even shows an example of a wooden carpenter's toolbox in which a B2 is fitted."

bigsime 23rd Sep 2019 8:56 pm

1 Attachment(s)
The radio is fitted into his old army trunk. It would have been nice if it had been fitted into a carpenters tool chest. But you can't have everything.

G3VKM_Roger 24th Sep 2019 6:52 am

Sgt. Church appears to have been a Royal Signals man and probably got his amateur radio licence through the post-war scheme that allowed qualified ex-service personnel to avoid having to sit the written examination and 12 wpm Morse test that civilians had to take.

The idea was to encourage people like Sgt. Church to form a nucleus of trained personnel in the event of another war. Organisations like the Royal Navy Volunteer Wireless Reserve were formed using ex-RN signallers, no doubt the Army and RAF had similar organisations.