UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hacker Cavalier GP15 Circuit Diagram (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158866)

AD360 Rob 13th Aug 2019 10:35 pm

Hacker Cavalier GP15 Circuit Diagram

Evening all, Just started on this player, it has a garrard AT6 mk2 deck. My question is, doe it use the same circuit as the Gondolier GP42? I can only find that one on Paul's DVD. (mine is the ECL86 variant) It's working to a degree but the output is VERY distorted and if the wick is turned up it will oscillate. I'm going through the amplifier as it has some of those horrible black plastic bodied electrolytics that are bound to need replacing.

Cheers
Rob

Herald1360 13th Aug 2019 10:39 pm

Re: Hacker Cavalier GP15 Circuit Diagram

You'll likely find the GP15 info in one of the Yahoo Hacker groups' files. You'll need to register, but it's free.

electrogram 13th Aug 2019 11:11 pm

I think there are minor differences, on the 15 the pentode anodes are fed directly from rect. cathode - via output transformer, and the cap associated with the bass control in the feedback loop has a different value, otherwise pretty much the same. Distortion may be due to grid coupling caps to the pentode sections being leaky. On the 42 these are always the reliable Mullard mustards but on most of the 15s I've seen they are Supamoulds and must be replaced

Nuvistor 13th Aug 2019 11:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald1360 (Post 1168063)
You'll likely find the GP15 info in one of the Yahoo Hacker groups' files. You'll need to register, but it's free.

I have just checked, the manual is in the Yahoo Hacker Audio Group courtesy of Mark, a UKVRRR forum member.

AD360 Rob 14th Aug 2019 9:18 am

I'll join up then, thanks chaps. I'll let you all know how it goes with this player (or should that be Reproducer?)

crackle 15th Aug 2019 7:37 am

Or you can download it from the Radio Museum. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hacker_cavalier_gp15.html

Mike

AD360 Rob 16th Aug 2019 2:55 pm

Afternoon everyone, got a circuit diagram, there's very little difference between the gp15 and gp42. Anyway I replaced most of the electrolytics (way off value and leaky) also the 2 grid coupling caps, checked all the resistors and they were all within tolerance so left them alone. Amp now is working properly, no hum, no distortion and voltages appear correct. It's running a lot cooler too so happy about that. Now to move on to the deck.. It's been abused (transit screws tightened so much they've pulled through the metal and spring cups detached) also the arm rest is broken. Does anyone have one? It's a garrard AT6 mk2? I'll also post this in the parts wanted section of the forum.

Rob

AD360 Rob 16th Aug 2019 4:42 pm

My mistake, it's not the spring mounts that have been pulled out, just the thread inserts for the transit screws (which is bad enough)

AD360 Rob 18th Aug 2019 11:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD360 Rob (Post 1168844)
Now to move on to the deck.. It's been abused (transit screws tightened so much they've pulled through the metal and spring cups detached) also the arm rest is broken. Does anyone have one? It's a garrard AT6 mk2? I'll also post this in the parts wanted section of the forum.

Rob

After some exhaustive research (thanks google) I have found the arm rest is the same as the DECCADEC variant of the AT6 Mk2 and SP25. in case you're wondering, these decks were made by Garrard and had a modified arm so you could plug a Decca Deram cartridge straight into the arm. . . no headshell required ! Anyway I managed to find an arm rest on eBay so happy now

AD360 Rob 23rd Aug 2019 6:26 pm

Afternoon all, getting to the end of this record reproducer now, it's all working nicely apart from the pilot light behind the controls. The bulb has failed. The original type is an 8.5v 0.3a mes. Try as I might I can't find anything like that spec online. Plenty of lower voltage at the right current but the only higher voltage ones are 12v but 0.2a.is there a known alternative for the original?

Thanks

music-centre 23rd Aug 2019 9:22 pm

Seems a strange voltage to use - is it definitely not a 6.5v 0.3a ?
Steve.

Nuvistor 23rd Aug 2019 9:43 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Manual states 6.5v 0.3A

Herald1360 23rd Aug 2019 10:26 pm

Might just be a poor stamped marking on the old bulb. 6 and 8 are pretty similar in some fonts apart from closure of the top bit.

Or someone just wanted the bulb to last for ever (and was unlucky anyway).