UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anniversary of the first radio broadcast in Cuba (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158945)

Miguel Lopez 16th Aug 2019 1:51 pm

Anniversary of the first radio broadcast in Cuba

On August 22, 1922; Luis Casas Romero installed the station 2LC using a 5W plant. This was the first broadcast in the Cuban radio history.

May the Gods of Electronics bless the beginners

'LIVEWIRE?' 16th Aug 2019 2:39 pm

Re: Anniversary of the first radio broadcast in Cuba

That was two months earlier than the first BBC station, 2LO, Miguel!

usradcoll1 18th Aug 2019 5:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' (Post 1168839)
That was two months earlier than the first BBC station, 2LO, Miguel!

It was probably because of the close proximity to the US and the availability of the equipment from RCA and a few other firms.
Dave, USradcoll1. :wave:

Davewantsone 19th Aug 2019 7:21 pm

The Otago Radio Association (New Zealand) first went to air on 4 October 1922. This was 5 weeks earlier than the BBC. The Radio is now known as Radio Dunedin.

AC/HL 19th Aug 2019 7:33 pm

Interesting that both began with 2L.
2LO wasn't the first one here, 2MT (Writtle, Chelmsford) has that honour. 2LO started in May 1922, but didn't become the BBC until November. The technology was ready to be used then, and quickly spread.

Graham G3ZVT 19th Aug 2019 8:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC/HL (Post 1169705)
2LO wasn't the first one here, 2MT (Writtle, Chelmsford) has that honour. 2LO started in May 1922, but didn't become the BBC until November. The technology was ready to be used then, and quickly spread.

!6th May 1922, followed on the 17th by 2ZY from the Metropolitan Vickers Factory Trafford Park, fittingly a stones throw from where MediaCity is now.

'LIVEWIRE?' 19th Aug 2019 10:32 pm

I knew that 2MT, Chelmsford went on air before 2LO, but didn't know that 2LO started in May 1922, so thanks for correcting me, Bill. Dave, I didn't know that a station in Otago went on air before the BBC, either. Regarding Call Signs, I presume all those early ones were adopted before there was an internationally agreed allocation. As most members no doubt know, all the later BBC stations had 3-digit calls, but used other figures, e.g. 5XX.
As to 'what was the first broadcasting station?', a whole can of worms could be opened up there

kalee20 20th Aug 2019 8:09 am

I guess Fessenden's 1906 effort from Brant Rock would classify as the first broadcasting station. Up to then, as far as I know, all transmissions (Morse) would have been intended for a particular recipient, rather than anyone who happened to be listening (obviously excepting any SOS / CQD transmissions).

* Update - I have just read on Wikipedia that the US Navy transmitted weather reports and time signals in 1904, for general reception. So this would be an earlier 'broadcasting' station.

'LIVEWIRE?' 20th Aug 2019 8:51 am

I wonder how many people were able to listen to those very early broadcasts. Very few, I suspect, would have had the means to do so back at the beginning of the 20th. century.

kalee20 20th Aug 2019 10:15 am

The people who needed to, would have had the receiving equipment.

Miguel Lopez 2nd Sep 2019 3:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIVEWIRE
I wonder how many people were able to listen to those very early broadcasts.

I think that in Cuba radio began (as in any other part of the world) with receivers and transmitters for hobbyist communicating each other, and then Luis Casas Romero began a public broadcast. Those with proper receivers would had listened to this broadcast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC/HL

In the case of the Cuban station, the "LC" were for "Luis Casas"

See more here: http://historiadelaradioencuba.blogs...ria-de-la.html. There are good pictures.
(Sorry, in Spanish)