UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Croc Clips at Lidl (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157130)

Dave Moll 13th Jun 2019 2:04 pm

Re: Croc Clips at Lidl

Having found my local Lidl (in Maryport, not Workington), it seemed there were neither crocs nor 'gators lurking there.

usradcoll1 13th Jun 2019 5:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF (Post 1151457)
I went to Lidl at Ripley this morning. They did not have any croc clips but had many boxes of alligator clips.

Here, we have both Croc clips and Alligator clips. The croc clips have a different nose shape, flat tip, where the alligator clips have a pointier tip.
Dave, USradcoll1. :wave:

'LIVEWIRE?' 13th Jun 2019 6:47 pm

Dave, you've enlightened me. I always thought that Crocodile and Alligator Clips were the same thing.

ajgriff 13th Jun 2019 8:52 pm

Open to debate I think. Have a look at this link on Mueller's website:

https://info.muellerelectric.com/the...guide-to-clips

It is claimed that the company's founder co-invented the 'universal test clip' ie, the alligator or crocodile clip.

Alan

usradcoll1 14th Jun 2019 3:07 am

I always tried to buy the Mueller Electric products, as they were always the best. :thumbsup:
Dave, US radcoll1 :wave:

Alvin 14th Jun 2019 9:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viewmaster (Post 1151354)
Bear in mind that if you make a special journey to Lidl to buy them, you are doing,
say two miles there and back, stop starting, with cold engine etc
Add that fuel to the cost.

To offset that today's Metro newspaper has a coupon giving £5 off a spend of £20 or more at Lidl...it's valid until close of business on the 19th.

Reelman 14th Jun 2019 10:38 pm

No clips in Lidl, Manor, Sheffield branch either.
Peter

dglcomp 16th Jun 2019 10:40 am

Crewkerne had them last week but Portland, that only had a steel frame, some scaffolding and construction machinery!

barrymagrec 16th Jun 2019 10:42 am

Plenty in Morden yesterday.

vinrads 16th Jun 2019 3:01 pm

Re: Crock Clips at Lidl

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6Tanuki (Post 1151087)
I feel a Lidl-visit coming on.

Me to! now where is my nearest Lidl ? Mick.

Dave Moll 16th Jun 2019 3:46 pm

Have a look at the store locator on their web site.

Julesomega 16th Jun 2019 3:53 pm

Didn't see any in the Hempshaw Lane store this week*, anyone been in Councillor Lane?

*but on the way I did stop off at a charity shop which has a big box of spanners :)

Herald1360 16th Jun 2019 7:07 pm

Monmouth had them today- I came out with a set plus a cable tie and clip set, a useful mix of heatshrink, butt joint crimps, P clips and cable ties. Some spray paint, chipboard screws, a magnetiser/demagnetiser and a couple of lavender plants also came along too.

It was 14 miles out of my way, but in the Leaf that's only about 50p for electricity.

DonaldStott 17th Jun 2019 4:05 pm

Unlikely that I'll ever need all of the 80 Alligator Clips I purchased from Lidl - so PM me if you are interested in acquiring a few FOC.

Just my way of giving something back to the Forum.

Boulevardier 17th Jun 2019 4:32 pm

"Unlikely that I'll ever need all of the 80 Alligator Clips I purchased from Lidl - so PM me if you are interested in acquiring a few FOC."

Same here, I'll never use 80 of them either, so happy to pass some on FOC.

Mike

John10b 17th Jun 2019 7:24 pm

Thank you Alan for the link, very informative, i seem to learn something every day!
Cheers
John

Reelman 18th Jun 2019 4:53 pm

Central Rotherham branch does not have them either. The manager said that they, like the other branches I’ve visited have never had them. Presumably none of the branches served by the Doncaster depot has had them. Never mind.

I’ve seen the generous offers to share them but I have to say that I don’t have a particular use for any at the moment so thanks, but no thanks. Like most of us I suppose most purchases are “that will be useful - one day” ;)

Peter

Dave Moll 18th Jun 2019 7:07 pm

The main thing for which I use crocodile/alligator clips is for connecting to the spring terminals of 6V 916 batteries.

John10b 23rd Jun 2019 12:49 pm

Nothing in the Aberystwyth store.
Cheers
John

Reelman 23rd Jun 2019 4:55 pm

Just to save you an unnecessary visit.....
None in Darnall Sheffield. Also tried Rotherham Doncaster Road only to find that it is a new branch that does not open until 27/6!

Peter