UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Telephony and Telecomms (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Line Tester - my ignorance is boundless! (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155919)

Wishiknewmore 22nd Apr 2019 3:52 pm

Line Tester - my ignorance is boundless!

5 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired a French “Valise pour mesure d’equivalent de traverse”, which I think translates to “Suitcase for equivalent crossing measure”
Manufacturer CIT Alcatel. Model NIC 516B

My guess is its late 70's Its seems a well made piece of kit

I have no idea what it’s for except for testing telephone lines, and I know nothing about telephone lines!
Could anybody kindly fill in some of the blanks in my knowledge or at least point me in the right direction

It would be much safer if I didn't go to car boot sales.....

Many thanks in anticipation

Philip

Dave Moll 22nd Apr 2019 4:45 pm

Re: Line Tester - my ignorance is boundless!

1 Attachment(s)
Putting "Valise pour mesure d’équivalent de traversée" into Google Translate gives me a slightly different word order: "Suitcase for crossing equivalent measurement".

By the way, to save me craning my neck to read the French, I rotated the final image through 90° (see below).

Guest 22nd Apr 2019 7:23 pm

I like the "inside first" presentation, nice bit of kit.

QQVO6/40 15th May 2019 1:53 pm

Hello all.
Here in Australia a test phone for use by linesmen was quite often referred to as a "bag set".
Just sort of an abbreviation.
I have no idea where the term originated.
I was wondering if there is some sort of connection with the literal translation to "suitcase".
Interesting connection! Maybe?
Cheers, Robert.

Graham G3ZVT 15th May 2019 8:04 pm

Here, a linesman's telephone is called a butt, I don't know why.
I've not heard of a bag set, but I suppose it's just an item carried in a tool bag.

???Perhaps both terms refer to the parts of anatomy likely to be impacted when the phone is swinging on the lineman's belt???

Herald1360 15th May 2019 8:34 pm

Valise, or suitcase simply means a piece of equipment in a carrying case- think of a spy set for example. Looks like that bit is missing.

What it measures is less obvious, technical French, like technical English can use some very strange terminology in layman's language. Traversee might refer to some, sort of crossing or bridge perhaps? Maybe it's a dummy telephone line or something like that?

One for one of our Gallic friends, perhaps?

Dave Moll 15th May 2019 8:36 pm

I don't know how true this is, but I have heard that "butt" derives from the linesman's ability to butt into a telephone conversation. I've also known the 'phone to be called a buttinski, which would tie in with that derivation.

QQVO6/40 16th May 2019 1:00 am

Hello all.
"Butt" is an abbreviation for it's correct name Buttinski.
A butt is a works type of phone used by both external plant linesmen as well as telephone exchange technicians and customer premises equipment installers.
A butt can only work on CB (common battery) or automatic phone systems.
A bag set is a larger field or linesman only type of works phone such as the Plessey N1845F. This phone can work on magneto, CB and auto phone circuits.
The bag set was popular amongst PMG employees in Australia as it was quite rugged in construction, worked well and the shoulder strap was convenient to hang the phone from a crossarm on a telephone pole.
Cheers, Robert.

Herald1360 16th May 2019 9:30 am

We've drifted a bit. I'm still curious about the original question about what it is rather than interesting things it isn't.

emeritus 16th May 2019 9:59 pm

In this context, valise seems to mean "kit". The Oxford Duden pictorial French-English dictionary doesn't have your expression but has "La valise de tapissier" = "paperhanging kit" and "La valise de controle" = "testing kit ".

Could it be for measuring crosstalk?

AC/HL 17th May 2019 12:28 am

It appears to be able to control line current, as well as monitoring the transmission. Perhaps one of our French members (or Canadian?) will know where to get more information. I can't find a CIT on Google, and can't read the word below.

peter_scott 17th May 2019 2:45 pm

The world below might be Alcatel.

Peter