UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Handy Low Voltage Needle Probe- SMD Fine Pitch etc (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=150084)

Herald1360 27th Sep 2018 4:39 pm

Handy Low Voltage Needle Probe- SMD Fine Pitch etc

1 Attachment(s)
Also pierce insulation for loom tracing etc......

See attached pic:

This one made from D-A's freebie :D

McMurdo 27th Sep 2018 6:13 pm

Re: Handy Low Voltage Needle Probe- SMD Fine Pitch etc

what's a DA freebie?

Nickthedentist 27th Sep 2018 7:53 pm

...given away by Andy / Diabolical Artificer!

mark_in_manc 28th Sep 2018 3:34 pm

I like that. I have an automotive pain-in-the-:censored: coming up where that would come in very handy. I might even have one of those scalpel handles in the shed.

M3VUV51 9th Nov 2018 3:03 am

Well I've lost count of the number of times I've slipped and stabbed myself with sharp meter probes trying to pierce car looms, I think with one of these I'd soon be missing fingers or A and E's best customer!

MrBungle 9th Nov 2018 8:49 am

Indeed. When I was much younger I dropped one of those scalpels on my leg. It just sat there upright wobbling. Went quite deep. I pulled it out quickly, applied pressure and pretended it never happened which worked nicely thank goodness.

I think that probe would end up a blood bath.

Edit: think I’m accident prone. Literally sitting here eating my breakfast and just noticed I managed to cut my finger. I have no idea how that even happened.

G6Tanuki 9th Nov 2018 4:45 pm

Many years ago I underwent 'lumpectomy' under local anaesthetic on my hand. The surgeon used a vaguely-similar 'electric scalpel' at one point, the cutting edge being RF-excited to cauterize the blood-vessels as it cut.

It was sort-of worrying to see the smoke rising - but it worked - no more lump!

Bazz4CQJ 9th Nov 2018 5:16 pm

It's the description of "Handy" that worries me, as in "sticks in your handy".

I do a bit of automotive electricianing and will stay with my nice commercial 'pin-prick' clamping probes :).

B

Herald1360 9th Nov 2018 9:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3vuv51 (Post 1090457)
Well I've lost count of the number of times I've slipped and stabbed myself with sharp meter probes trying to pierce car looms, I think with one of these I'd soon be missing fingers or A and E's best customer!

Hmmm, so did I the other day trying to find the LH and RH flasher wires up under the dash of a Ford D-series.

With the very probe pictured too :-)

Does anyone make a nice little probe with a hooked end and a screw operated needle or some such? It wouldn't do for the SMD stuff, but for cable tracing it would be great. A sort of small version of the coax cable outer stripper thing comes to mind.

Bazz4CQJ 9th Nov 2018 10:37 pm

The ones I have (and like very much) are quite like these ones https://canada.newark.com/hirschmann...be/dp/06WX5804

The Hirschmann ones extend two little hooks which open and close as you pull or release the finger guard. Mine look so similar but open a little anvil opposite a fine pointed contact which will penetrate insulation. Mine ( I've owned them some years) are branded "Texas" and I cannot now find anything about them on the internet.

B