UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The Argus is back (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81446)

Panrock 18th Mar 2012 10:27 pm

The Argus is back

1 Attachment(s)
Following on from Sean Williams' request for a picture in the 'Thank you' section, here it is working this evening.

Sean's donated VCR517C tube is absolutely fine but with an eht of just over 2Kv, the picture is nevertheless rather subdued and is best viewed in a darkened room.

Steve

EF80TVVALVE 18th Mar 2012 10:41 pm

Re: The Argus is back

I can't wait to build my argus! I have all of the chassis, I'm just sourcing parts right now! It gives stunning results for a home-build set!

Sean Williams 18th Mar 2012 10:48 pm

That looks great Steve, nice to see a CRT go to good use!

Panrock 18th Mar 2012 10:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EF80TVVALVE (Post 514394)
I can't wait to build my argus!

Whether the results are actually worth the wait is a matter of opinion but 22 years ago when this was being built, I too couldn't wait! The build was interrupted for several months while I went off backpacking round Asia.

But while I was away, despite all the new experiences (and surviving a major earthquake) guess where my thoughts kept returning?

Yes that's right - the Argus! ;D

Steve

murphyv310 18th Mar 2012 11:13 pm

Nice one Steve,
Superb result as always, very professional. I will need to get on with my VCR97 home made set once I get some time.

FERNSEH 18th Mar 2012 11:23 pm

Hi Steve, That's a beautfully engineered receiver. I've found an ACR13 CRT. Green phosphor I believe. It might be used for my first electrostatic TV project. sometime in the future.

DFWB.

Panrock 19th Mar 2012 12:00 am

Hi David,

Yes, looking at my 1948 Wireless World data sheet, the ACR13 looks a very similar tube, though its Y plate sensitivity is somewhat greater than the VCR517.

Steve

FERNSEH 19th Mar 2012 12:26 am

Hi Steve,
I'll have get some Mazda AC/P or Mullard TT4 high voltage triodes to serve as the timebase waveform amplifiers. Two valves in push-pull style in both timebases. I'm thinking on the lines of the 1937 Wireless World television receiver project. In that receiver the timebase oscillators were Mazda T31s thyratrons, a difficult valve to find nowadays. The T41 is still available and is electrically similar.
Electrostatic timebases are better for the various frequencies used on different TV standards. One could build a receiver for the 180/25, 240/25 and 405/50 systems.

DFWB.

Aub 19th Mar 2012 11:39 pm

Thought you meant a Ferranti Argus computer for a minute!