UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Did The Bush DAC90 Have A Royalty Licence Plate ? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=182308)

bobhowe 27th Jul 2021 8:12 pm

Did The Bush DAC90 Have A Royalty Licence Plate ?

Hi did the Bush DAC90A have the white plastic Royalty licence plate fitted and where was it located on the cabinet or the Chassis ? kind regards Bob

Nickthedentist 27th Jul 2021 8:15 pm

Re: Did The Bush DAC90 Have A Royalty Licence Plate ?

I’ve never seen one, surprisingly.

Graham G3ZVT 27th Jul 2021 8:33 pm

Sometimes they are on the inside of the back cover; but no, neither my DAC90 nor my DAC90A have one in evidence.

ms660 27th Jul 2021 8:36 pm

Yes, both the DAC90 and the DAC90A, cabinet in the DAC90A and chassis on the DAC90.

Lawrence.

bobhowe 27th Jul 2021 8:40 pm

Hi Nick remember seeing them on radiograms can not remember the make Grundig sets had one i am sure HMV radios as well kind regards Bob

bobhowe 27th Jul 2021 8:47 pm

Hi Graham none on any of my DAC90A i have 4 . Hi Lawrence where in the cabinet are they located ? is it on the top RHS viewing from the rear if so my Ivory one has a small amount of adhesive located not for from the mains dropper kind regards Bob

ms660 27th Jul 2021 8:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobhowe (Post 1393352)
Hi Lawrence where in the cabinet are they located ? is it on the top RHS viewing from the rear if so my Ivory one has a small amount of adhesive located not for from the mains dropper kind regards Bob

Can't remember off hand.

Back in the day in the trade we used to collect them to make smoke bombs.

Lawrence.

bobhowe 27th Jul 2021 9:52 pm

Hi Lawrence you are indeed correct about the DAC90 there is a Royalty plate secured to the chassis just looked on my 1946 DAC90 and it is worded differently to any i have seen. If on the DAC90A it is glued inside of the cabinet next to the mains dropper it would fall of due to the heat of the mains dropper kind regards Bob

Paul_RK 27th Jul 2021 10:28 pm

Just checked a couple of 90As here: a cream one has some black adhesive residue inside its case quite close to the mains dropper, and the late "milk chocolate" one (was factory-painted cream, but much of the paint had peeled off: knobs are cream) still has its licence plate in the same position.

Paul

FERNSEH 27th Jul 2021 11:06 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Bob's DAC90 license plate.

DFWB.

bobhowe 27th Jul 2021 11:10 pm

Hi Paul my cream one has the residue like yours .Looked on the back of my AC91 and it has is Licence on the chassis as well an it made wonder why they could not do that on the DAC90A .Then i looked at a DAC90 the chassis it is shallower than the DAC90 / AC90 & there is not enough room to put it above the serial number & the alignment holes beside the serial number so there is not enough room for it there kind regards Bob

bobhowe 27th Jul 2021 11:19 pm

Hi thanks David for kindly posting my picture notice the wording is different than British Eireann version kind regards Bob

Graham G3ZVT 28th Jul 2021 1:20 am

Bob, you may be interested in this thread I started a few years ago.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=145428

bobhowe 28th Jul 2021 5:18 pm

Hi Graham very interesting did not know there were different versions of Royalty plates . Just seen a DAC90A for sale on the internet & the Royalty Licence plate is stuck on the back but it looks like its out of shape of been next to the mains dropper and it has fell out of the set & it has been glued there . This set looks like is has not been used for a long time as it has a Bayonet type plug on the mains lead that would plug in a lamp socket :o kind regards Bob

stitch1 29th Jul 2021 7:32 am

1 Attachment(s)
My DAC90A still has the licence plate in place and as far as I can tell is original.

John

bobhowe 29th Jul 2021 3:28 pm

HI John that is the exact spot where the adhesive mark is on my ivory DAC90A . look how close it is next to the mains dropper no the wonder they fall off and get lost with the heat thanks for posting picture as i will put a Royalty plate back on kind regards Bob

stitch1 29th Jul 2021 5:45 pm

I'm surprised this one is still there, maybe it hasn't had much use but the discolouration suggests otherwise.

John

bobhowe 29th Jul 2021 6:34 pm

Hi John i have 4 complete DAC90A & none of them have a Royalty Plate 1 set is 1951 2 sets are 1952 & the last set is 1956 they must have had a lot of use as the Royalty plates are missing on all of them . What year is your set? if it has had any repairs in its early working life the plate might have been re glued kind regards Bob

stitch1 29th Jul 2021 7:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bob, I’m not sure of the exact date, as far as I remember it was all original. This is the serial number …

bobhowe 29th Jul 2021 7:40 pm

Hi i have a set serial number 214265 & the BEC smoothing capacitor is original & the date on it is March 56 so i would guess your set is about late 53 or early 54 . if the capacitor has not been changed loosen the securing clamp and lift the capacitor up slightly and you will see the date i would say Bush used a huge amount of capacitors from BEC so they would have put them in the sets not long after the capacitor was made i will start a new thread about BEC Capacitors kind regards Bob