UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Leather instrument(?) case (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138213)

Herald1360 16th Jul 2017 4:57 pm

Leather instrument(?) case

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know what this was intended for? It's about 5*5*2 inches and the number is 10S/10614.

Guest 16th Jul 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Leather instrument(?) case

IF you can't find out it looks ripe for a portable something, the ideal vintage technical handbag.

Refugee 16th Jul 2017 6:10 pm

Bakelite Megger?

ralph2472 16th Jul 2017 6:11 pm

Possibly 8 x 30 or 8 x 40 binoculars.

Regards

Ralph.

PJL 16th Jul 2017 6:46 pm

If you ever find out let me know as I have an identical one here! At first I thought it might have been mine but it seems I saved it from the charity shop run (again!).

HamishBoxer 16th Jul 2017 6:54 pm

Certainly a test equipment case.

locoian 16th Jul 2017 7:23 pm

I have an early Avo Minor (the one where you plug the test leads into the different sockets for the different ranges) and it has an identical case to that.

It came with it and fits perfectly. I always assumed it came new with it.

Don't know how to post a picture but if anyone wants one I can take one and send it to them

Regards

Ian

frankmcvey 16th Jul 2017 7:51 pm

Avo minor = 4 3/4" x 3 7/8" x 1 7/8, so probably a good fit with leads & prods...

Cheers,

Frank

The Philpott 16th Jul 2017 10:16 pm

Yes it is for the military issue avominor. That is the Air Ministry code for the AC/DC minor which was also issued on the open market. The DC only Type E, by contrast, is designated 10s/10613.

It's very nice looking, i covet it! They are generally worn out.

Herald1360 16th Jul 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks for ID!

Now.... Do I get an Avominor to fit it or sell it on to someone who already has one in a tatty case? Apart from a few scuffs the only obvious wear is a slight (2mm) crack in the side of the strap just above the stitching on one side.

It cost me £3 at the McMichael Rally because I couldn't resist it and was used to carry a collection of audio plugs and 400V film capacitors home in :).

The Philpott 16th Jul 2017 11:22 pm

Well my sister lives near Witney......

No i can't, i promised my other half i wouldn't get any more 'stuff'!

To be technically accurate i guess you need a Type H or ^10S/46 avominor, but they are the same spec as the civilian ones anyhow. There is plenty of room for the test leads down the side of the meter, that is a good buy at £3. They are useful and the strap can of course be replaced.

Dave P

frankmcvey 16th Jul 2017 11:24 pm

You can never have too many meters! ;)

Radio Wrangler 17th Jul 2017 9:01 am

You need another one to test all the others... but then what's going to test that one? so....

David

Herald1360 17th Jul 2017 5:30 pm

I don't really want an old Avominor- they're not exactly things of beauty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Philpott (Post 960363)
Well my sister lives near Witney......

No i can't, i promised my other half i wouldn't get any more 'stuff'!

Dave P

If you passed on the tatty one to someone else, you wouldn't actually be getting more 'stuff' ;)

Would you like it for what I paid for it plus a nice picture for the forum of your Avominor in its new case?

The Philpott 17th Jul 2017 5:46 pm

2 Attachment(s)
...I don't know if this is classified as telepathy or clairaudient viewing but...here is the tatty one you mention that my ^10s/46 came in!

The Philpott 17th Jul 2017 5:51 pm

2 Attachment(s)
I can't refuse that, i shall PM you chap!

The meter can then be rescued from it's showerproof Dove Men Care tin lined with bits of jiffy bag.

Herald1360 17th Jul 2017 6:08 pm

You do that!

Better check your sister is happy to give me £3 in exchange for an old leather mini manbag....

PJL 18th Jul 2017 9:03 am

Mine came from a charity shop many years ago. I even tried to palm it off on my daughters as a cool handbag so I am really pleased I now know where it belongs. I did have an avominor but think I got rid of it in which case I will put it in the offered section.

David G4EBT 18th Jul 2017 11:16 am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcvey (Post 960364)
You can never have too many meters! ;)

So it seems! (Not mine, I hasten to add!).

In the late 70s before British Gas had a meter specifically designed to meet the requirements service engineers, they issued AVO Multi-minors which had no protection on the Ohms ranges, and sooner rather than later, the predictable happened with monotonous regularity - 240V squirted into the meter on the Ohms range. Just not up to the task, and the average life was about 3 months or so. They came in a new leather case, so the burnt out meters, along with the leather cases, went into the skip. At the time I was Service Manager at Sheffield with 250 or so engineers. No-one ever imagined that anyone would ever covet such things, and the same goes for those heavy black Bakelite phones that went in the skip by the hundreds when more modern and lighter plastic-cased ones displaced them.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I did at least keep one leather case for the Multi-minor that I bought in 1960 which originally came in a flimsy PVC case. (Still have it).

The Philpott 18th Jul 2017 9:00 pm

.... I found out recently about the capacity of leather to hold water- (at least when untreated/unpreserved, that is)

I have one of those plastic assorter boxes, and one compartment has old straps in it; an hour after being brought out into the sunlight there was an astonishing amount of water on the inside of the lid. I don't know if there is a moral to this, but i now tend to keep leather cases indoors if they contain electrical equipment!