UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   1946 TV Combo On Talking Pictures TV (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160641)

camtechman 18th Oct 2019 9:37 am

1946 TV Combo On Talking Pictures TV

1 Attachment(s)
On Channel 81 (Freeview) this morning there was a film (1946) called "Here Comes The Sun" Starring Bud Flanagan & Chesney Allen.

In one scene, there was a TV (or TV combo). Do you know what it was ?

Picture below

beery 18th Oct 2019 9:42 am

Re: 1946 TV Combo On Talking Pictures TV

Hi Camtechman,

see the end of this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...102254&page=11

Cheers
Andy

HamishBoxer 18th Oct 2019 9:56 am

Without looking I would say Marconi?

camtechman 18th Oct 2019 10:07 am

Many thanks Andy.

Tractorfan 18th Oct 2019 10:29 am

Hi,
The images of the TV in the screen grabs shown on the link seems to show the set flat against the wall and, possibly, too shallow a cabinet.
I would almost say that it was recessed without any space for the rear of the tube 'hump' or ventilation. Was it mocked up to show a picture via back-projection, without actually working? Possibly to produce an image bright enough to film and without flicker?
I've seen a similar trick used in Patrick McGoohan's 'The Prisoner' where a TV was mocked up to show a colour image on a set that was clearly a monochrome one.
Cheers, Pete.

Panrock 18th Oct 2019 10:44 am

1 Attachment(s)
It does look oddly shallow at the back, though I assumed this was a distortion due to wide angle perspective. The actual set is a surprisingly large unit. Also, the 7-inch version may well be proportionately narrower looking at the rear than the 5-inch version. The view here makes it look deceptively compact.

Steve

Nuvistor 18th Oct 2019 10:55 am

It’s a film set so the wall, which was probably a bit of plywood, could just have a hole in it and the set pushed back.

Panrock 18th Oct 2019 11:39 am

1 Attachment(s)
Actually it doesn't look much different in depth to the 'original'. It is however pushed hard up against the wall at the very least.

Steve

beery 18th Oct 2019 1:11 pm

Hi all,
Both the 5" and 7" sets have the same depth of actual wooden cabinet, but whilst the 5" sets has a flat cardboard back, the 7" set has a 2 1/2" inch bulge for the tube neck.
It does look more like the 7" set though, so it is a bit of a mystery...

Cheers
Andy

Richard_FM 18th Oct 2019 11:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tractorfan (Post 1184633)
Hi,
The images of the TV in the screen grabs shown on the link seems to show the set flat against the wall and, possibly, too shallow a cabinet.
I would almost say that it was recessed without any space for the rear of the tube 'hump' or ventilation. Was it mocked up to show a picture via back-projection, without actually working? Possibly to produce an image bright enough to film and without flicker?
I've seen a similar trick used in Patrick McGoohan's 'The Prisoner' where a TV was mocked up to show a colour image on a set that was clearly a monochrome one.
Cheers, Pete.

I assumed they were using studio monitors in The Prisoner for the TVs, maybe tweaked to prevent any flicker.

For 2001: A Space Odyssey all the monitors were back projected & synced to the cameras, not surprising considering Stanley Kubrick's perfectionism.