UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Panasonic stereo with a missing Cartridge (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157615)

oldboy1 27th Jun 2019 7:09 pm

Panasonic stereo with a missing Cartridge

I am having a lot of trouble finding the correct cart and stylus for my turntable stacker. It is a BSR model C129R1 player, originally part of a Panasonic stereo receiver. The original cart and needle are missing, but thanks to other posts here, I have been able to get all the mechanisms working properly. Does anyone know which cart goes with this model? or what years it was built? thanks in advance for any help with this question.

AC/HL 27th Jun 2019 9:04 pm

Re: Panasonic stereo with a missing Cartridge

Hello and welcome. What model is your Panasonic?
Please bear in mind that it may not have been sold here, but it may be possible to trace the original specs.

Edward Huggins 28th Jun 2019 9:44 am

If it uses a BSR C129, it's likely to be from no later than 1973-74. We don't know the model number, but it would probably uses a stereo ceramic cartridge as it's unlikely to use a MM type in a low-end autochanger such as this. Carole's Needles in Krebs, Oklahoma will have a range of medium-output ceramic stereo cartridges that will suit from around $25.00.

'LIVEWIRE?' 28th Jun 2019 10:56 am

Isn't the C129 the model with the narrow headshell? If so, some cartridges will not fit. IIRC the 129 PU arm's leads are terminated in a small line socket rather than separate pickup tags.

ben 28th Jun 2019 11:40 am

There were 3 different headshells for these decks. A photo would be of use. If it is the slim headshell, a BSR SC11 /SC12 or Tetrad T50 most likely. But that's just 'informed speculation'!

peter_sol 28th Jun 2019 4:40 pm

What do you intend to use the deck with? as you say it was from a Panasonic music centre.
That may determine the cartridge you require.

oldboy1 2nd Jul 2019 6:12 pm

Re: Cartridge and stylus for BSR C129R?

5 Attachment(s)
Am looking for the spec for this turntable, BSR C129R the correct cartridge and stylus. Or one that will fit and work.

Why does it matter what cart I install as long as it fits in the head? Does the turntable motor generate enough heat to require ventilation?

Edward Huggins 3rd Jul 2019 8:35 am

It all depends on what type of amplifier you are to use the replacement cartridge in your BSR autochanger with? It's unlikely that you will be using a MM type in a budget deck such as this, so any ceramic stereo cartridge giving c.200mV will be fine. The motor generates very little heat so do not worry about ventilation. The gap between the deck's main sprung pressed metal baseplate and the motorboard will be sufficient.

RojDW48 3rd Jul 2019 11:15 am

A good fit for that rather narrow headshell could be the Sonotone 3509 (also branded Garrard KS40a IIRC). The Stylus Lady usually has some in stock - they are fairly easy to come by.

BRASSBITS 3rd Jul 2019 11:28 am

the BSR sc11 / sc12

AC/HL 3rd Jul 2019 2:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldboy1 (Post 1157144)
Why does it matter what cart I install as long as it fits in the head?

As well as physically fitting, it must be appropriate for the amplifier. As said, it should probably be ceramic, but for confirmation, what is the model of your Panasonic player?

Audio1950 3rd Jul 2019 2:40 pm

I could be wrong, but doesn't this narrow headshell have a built-in clip to hold the cartridge? If so, then only an SC11 or SC12 will be suitable. Anything else would need a hole drilled through the top of the headshell to hold the cartridge clip.

John10b 3rd Jul 2019 7:08 pm

I’m not sure are you aware of The voice of music web site, all things audio, worth you taking a look and it’s in the USA.
Cheers
John

ben 4th Jul 2019 8:10 pm

2 Attachment(s)
There were two fitting methods in these narrow headshells. One used an inbuilt metal clip to hold a BSR SC11 OR SC12 cart. The other had the cart as a part of the headshell itself, like the SC7, which seems to have been the case here. Removing the cart usually means destroying it.

Internet pics attached of both types.

Look behind the fingerlift and see if there is SC7 or SC8 embossed in yellow/ gold lettering.

If this is the case, you can flatten down the upper part of the headshell, make a screw hole from above, and screw in an sc11 or sc12.

oldboy1 11th Jul 2019 5:48 pm

Re: Ceramic and Crystal cartridge specs.

something happened to my previous post that I dont understand. I dont know if it posted or was dropped. so I am repeating it, as I had not completed the message.
I found information on BSR Cartridge and Stylus and turntable model numbers.
to whit,
Cartridge= SC11M
Stylus= S117
Turntables these were original equipment on are:
2000X, 2000AX, 4800BX, 4800X, 6500X, 8500F, C123R, C129R, C141R, C197, CH0571, P231, P268, RT521, RT529.

I hope this is a helpful addition to this thread, which already has such great information.

AC/HL 11th Jul 2019 8:27 pm

That probably is the right cartridge, but for confirmation can you tell us the Panasonic's model number.