UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Has anyone rewound a Sectric motor? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136673)

mole42uk 19th May 2017 10:42 am

Has anyone rewound a Sectric motor?

I have an early Sectric chiming mantelpiece clock which stopped. Upon investigation, one of the connecting leads fell out from the coil of the motor. Unfortunately it was the inner connection!

The wire is 0.002" enamelled copper (47swg?) and the enamel insulation appears to be sound. Given that my other two Sectric clocks have a different style of motor, what's the likelihood that I can unwind the one I have, reconnect the inner wire and rewind it?

Leon Crampin 19th May 2017 10:54 am

Re: Has anyone rewound a Sectric motor?

Rewind with a full bobbin of 30 SWG wire and run the clock from low voltage AC. Use a variac to determine the voltage at which the motor will start, then add 30% to get the running voltage. An old wall wart transformer will power it.

Leon.

Nickthedentist 19th May 2017 11:34 am

I'm in the middle of doing a Magneta in the way Leon describes. I will report back when it's done and let you know how I got on.

Re-winding with the original gauge of wire (for direct mains operation) is almost bound to end in tears as it's incredibly thin and fragile.

N.

Boater Sam 19th May 2017 1:51 pm

You would never rewind it with the original reclaimed wire, its too thin to stand unwinding and rewinding.
I find anything much less than 38swg difficult to wind.

Brigham 19th May 2017 4:45 pm

If the break is in the first couple of turns, it could be possible to unwind them, and make a new connection to the broken end.

Mike Phelan 19th May 2017 5:08 pm

There are at least two members here who will rewind your clock stator with 47 SWG wire.

mole42uk 19th May 2017 8:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brigham (Post 945183)
If the break is in the first couple of turns, it could be possible to unwind them, and make a new connection to the broken end.

As I said in the original post, the break is in the inner connection.

mole42uk 19th May 2017 8:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Phelan (Post 945192)
There are at least two members here who will rewind your clock stator with 47 SWG wire.

C'mon, name names! I'm up for that.

murphymad 19th May 2017 11:23 pm

Hello Richard,

I can rewind your clock coil.
I am regularly asked for exactly this type of rewind and I am only up the road from you in Devizes Wiltshire.

I would use new modern wire of the original gauge so that you can run it as original.

PM me with you phone number if you are interested.

Mike.