UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New book (blatant plug) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76716)

Aerodyne 23rd Nov 2011 3:40 pm

New book (blatant plug)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all
This is to inform everyone that I'm publishing a new book:
VINTAGE VALVE RADIOS subtitled 'A practical guide for collectors and restorers'. The emphasis is on the practical. The large format 10" x 8" book explains from first principles how valve radios work and how to restore them, with detailed fault-finding techniques (using an example circuit with text-referenced components arrowed and numbered), component replacement/rebuilding plus cabinet repairs and restorations of all types. No assumption of prior knowledge is made so the book should suit the beginner (little maths involved) but there is also much of interest to the more seasoned restorer. 174 pages, hundreds of monochrome photos and diagrams, colour cover. Published by me personally at £14.95 plus £3.75 p&p in UK. Introductory offer: FREE p&p in UK. Payment by Paypal or cheque. PM for address and Paypal details. Allow two weeks for delivery, please.
Mods, please remove if this breaches rules.
-Tony

Retired 23rd Nov 2011 4:03 pm

Re: New book (blatant plug)

Hi,

I was telling my chum Mike Phelan about Tony's new book yesterday and mine is the first order. The very best of luck with the book Tony and I hope it sells in large quantity.

Kind regards, Col.

Sean Williams 23rd Nov 2011 4:16 pm

Good luck with this book Tony - Hopefully our chums near the south coast will give you some decent exposure this time.

Sean

petertheorgan 23rd Nov 2011 4:19 pm

Sounds like a nice Christmas pressie.

Robert Darwent 23rd Nov 2011 4:42 pm

Sounds super Tony. If it's anything like your previous offerings it will be a must have, PM sent!

Kind regards ;)

60 oldjohn 23rd Nov 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Tony, I will have one please, before they are all snapped up. PM Sent. John.

Station X 23rd Nov 2011 5:41 pm

Tony.

Have you ever thought about writing a book on how to repair and restore old record players of the "Dansette Type"? Judging by the number of queries we get from newbies on the subject it would be a best seller.

Aerodyne 23rd Nov 2011 6:34 pm

That's an interesting idea, Graham. It wouldn't be a massive tome, though. I'll give the matter some thought after I see how this latest effort goes - there is a great deal of work involved in publishing, perhaps more than many realise, so it will need careful consideration.
-Tony

Colourstar 23rd Nov 2011 6:45 pm

Excellent news Tony. I very much enjoyed your previous publications on the subject. They are perfect for people like me with a large 'to-do' pile and plenty of good intentions but requiring a little more grounding in the subject.

Certainly one for the Christmas list.

Steve J :)

Mike Phelan 23rd Nov 2011 8:05 pm

As you get older, it takes more thought about what you want Santa to bring.

That's one thing sorted, then :thumbsup:

The record player book that Graham mentioned would be a best seller, Tony, I think (seriously) given the prices these things now fetch with their state-of-the-art rexine, UL84 and UA14!

theoldtrout 23rd Nov 2011 10:44 pm

Further to Graham's suggestion regarding a Dansette type record-player book. How about expanding it to include all popular old record players, as the mechanical repair and adjustment can be difficult for the beginner.

Station X 23rd Nov 2011 11:10 pm

I used the term "Dansette Type" because it has become a generic term for all types of record player, much vacuum cleaners are often refered to as Hoovers, ballpoint pens as Biros and digging machines as JCBs regardless of their actual manufacturer. So I would expect a book to cover all types of deck and player.

Wage Slave 24th Nov 2011 5:41 am

I want one too! On my Christmas list and PM sent.

westcliff 24th Nov 2011 1:11 pm

There's a PM from me too.

Gus.

RF Burn 24th Nov 2011 2:30 pm

One for me too! PM sent.

Adrian

Aerodyne 24th Nov 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks to all for the support and interest. As far as a record player book goes, I'll definitely think about it. I would have to buy a few as the many I've serviced and restored in the past were never documented by me - well, perhaps an odd one or two - so I'd need 'patients' to operate on. That might prove costly, if the comments by those who know in this thread are anywhere near correct (I'm sure they are). We'll see. Right now I'm concentrating on this new book and there's only so many hours in a day, so I'm told.
Regards to all and rest assured the books will be on their way the day they are picked up from the printers - shouldn't be long.
-Tony

Aerodyne 1st Dec 2011 4:50 pm

Update: all orders filled today. Books posted by first class mail, so should arrive within the next few days. I have now a few spare copies so if anyone would like one who hasn't as yet ordered a copy, if I receive an order soon I'll be able to post before Christmas.
Many thanks for all the support.
Best wishes to all
Tony

Paul LS 1st Dec 2011 7:49 pm

Hi Tony, PM sent.

Regards,
Paul

M0TGX Terry 1st Dec 2011 8:02 pm

Hi Tony,
I'd like one please.PM sent.
Regards
Terry

wireful3 2nd Dec 2011 3:20 pm

Received mine today. Very comprehensive background. I would think many Newbies in particular would feel more comfortable if they started by reading something like this.

Thanks a lot Tony.