UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bush Tv 24c (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6936)

ekcobeach 11th Jan 2006 3:44 pm

Bush TV 24C

Hi All, Vintage Television is not my field but i have just acquired a Bush model TV 24C.Can anyone tell me if these sets are sought after or how desirable they may or may not be.I realise its not really possible to give an accurate estimate but im also curious as to whether it has any monetary or swap value.The set appears to be complete,all knobs backboard etc and the CRT is intact with no signs of staining. Regards to all, Colin <ekcobeach> :)

Steve_P 11th Jan 2006 7:21 pm

Re: Bush Tv 24c

Back in the 50s, not that I was there!, wooden sets were more expensive than bakelite. Now its the other way round!!

But its an old TV and has the same chassis as a TV22, and the wooden one is now getting pretty rare. If it's in good nick, get it running - it shouldn't be so hard. The LOPTs on those are quite reliable and alignment is easy.

Have a go, mate.

Cheers,

Steve P.

evingar 11th Jan 2006 8:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekcobeach
Hi All, Vintage Television is not my field but i have just acquired a Bush model TV 24C.Can anyone tell me if these sets are sought after or how desirable they may or may not be.I realise its not really possible to give an accurate estimate but im also curious as to whether it has any monetary or swap value.The set appears to be complete,all knobs backboard etc and the CRT is intact with no signs of staining. Regards to all, Colin <ekcobeach> :)

Hi Colin

Sad really but no real value compared to its "Cute” Bakelite TV22 sibling, those demand a couple of hundred Pound + on Fleabay in reasonable condition. As has been mentioned, no difference technically though, so if you are merely interested in the technology, the TV24 is the one to go for. I should imagine someone on the forum will swap or give you some cash for it - I would have done so myself if I didn’t have one already (pictured in my Avatar).

It gives a remarkably bright picture for something of that age. The TV24 is a relatively standard chassis for the period, old enough to be interesting, and simple (no “sea” of geometry pots or “monster” standards changeover switch seen on later 60s sets) but not so old as to have horrors like mains derived EHT. I just found the usual problems with duff "waxy" caps etc.:)

Danny 11th Jan 2006 10:56 pm

Hi
Didn't the TV24C have a different chassis to the TV24 with a tuner on the side?
I have both sets so will have to have a gander!

I reckon it would be better swapped for something you want rather than sold as they are worth approx. £30 to £60 depending on condition.

Dare I say it, the tube, if OK must be worth £30 if someone needed one to finish a project, if one could bring oneself to do such a thing.

Danny