UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Kawasaki ks-20 cable repair (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=179655)

mickydel 3rd May 2021 10:50 am

Kawasaki ks-20 cable repair

Hi,

I am a new joiner and have an older JVC radio where the cable has frayed over the last 30 years. Does anyone have an idea if this can be repaired or a replacement bought for the radio cable? The radio still works fine, but I need to decide on re-chargeable batteries or the preferred option which is to fix the cable and to try to keep it original.
Many thanks.
Michael.

Station X 3rd May 2021 11:00 am

Re: Kawasaki ks-20 cable repair

I'm not sure whether you're referring to a Kawasaki or a JVC radio.

Is it the mains lead that's fraying? Can you post a picture of it please, clearly showing the connectors.

davidw 4th May 2021 10:11 am

I think its the mains lead that is made by Kawasaki and used on a JVC radio. A quick search shows various 2 wire types.

mickydel 14th Jun 2021 1:50 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Hi davidw and Station X, Many thanks for your replies and my apologies for not replying sooner. The cable is a Kawasaki Ks-20 and it is for a JVC 'boombox' from the 1980's. I have attached 2 pictures.
Best regards.
Michael.

Station X 14th Jun 2021 3:03 pm

We need to see the end of the connector so we can see what shape the sockets are.

It's of moulded construction, so a repair is not possible unless a screw together type connector can be found.

mickydel 14th Jun 2021 3:33 pm

Hi Station X, I have attached a further 3 photos. Hope this helps?
Michael.

FIXITNOW 14th Jun 2021 7:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickydel (Post 1382616)
Hi Station X, I have attached a further 3 photos. Hope this helps?
Michael.

sadly the pictures are missing

mickydel 15th Jun 2021 8:26 am

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Station X, My apologies, I must have forgotten to press the 'upload button'...Have had another go and it looks better now.
Best regards.
Michael.

crackle 15th Jun 2021 10:53 am

You may find the very common standard figure of 8 mains lead will fit. https://www.amazon.co.uk/DabbersIT-P...3750652&sr=8-4
You probably have one somewhere in the house to try, and I would try one before you buy as there may be a switch associated with when the mains plug is pushed in to disconnect the batteries.
Mike

HamishBoxer 15th Jun 2021 10:55 am

I was going to say that too, it certainly looks a though a figure 8 might well fit. I am sure though I have seen the one shown before somewhere.

Nickthedentist 15th Jun 2021 11:26 am

If you can't easily get a cable to fit, it might be easier and safer to run the radio from the mains via a plug-in power supply, a bit like a the things that you get with a broadband router, cordless landline phone and countless other things around the house.

The voltage, maximum current and polarity (i.e. which way round + and - go) are vital though, so don't experiment until you've checked with us.

If there isn't a DC input socket, you'd have to open up the radio and solder the wires from the power unit to the tags on the battery holder contacts. Not difficult if you have some experience, but not recommended for an absolute beginner.

What's the model of the radio, please?

mickydel 15th Jun 2021 12:38 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Thank you all so much for your time and help. I am going to have a search around the house to see if I have a figure of 8 cable. If I can't find, I might try a shop and see if I can find one that fits. The model of the radio is RC-656W and is a JVC Dolby System Radio / Cassette Recorder. It used to be referred to as a 'boombox'. My older brother bought it for me as a present when he was working in Saudi Arabia when I was a teenager so it has sentimental value (I am now 62). I have attached a picture. I will update when I have found a cable and thank you all again for your help.
Best regards.
Michael.

usradcoll1 17th Jun 2021 5:21 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamishBoxer (Post 1382770)
I was going to say that too, it certainly looks a though a figure 8 might well fit. I am sure though I have seen the one shown before somewhere.

I have a 29 year old portable Panasonic CD, radio, that has a mains lead similar to yours, but with a US plug. The female connector is the same and made by the same company, Kawasaki.
Unfortunately the figure 8 connector doesn't fit! I can't see the difference with the naked eye, whether it's the pin spacing or diameter of the pins.
The proper one might turn up eventually.:shrug:
Dave, USradcoll1

Guest 17th Jun 2021 6:23 pm

A touch of super glue (fantastic for PVC used in the cable) and a bit of heatshrink tube it will be as good as a bought one.

Nickthedentist 17th Jun 2021 8:57 pm

This JVC apparently has a 12V DC input, so running it from an external power unit rated at a couple of amps should be easy.

Bazz4CQJ 17th Jun 2021 9:13 pm

I think these plugs are still being made but are quite unusual. I bought a grit-blasting cabinet last year and I think that has one for the 12V interior light.

Many years ago, some Japanese companies fitted them as mains connectors on some radios, but they are definitely sold as low voltage connectors now.

Some time ago, I ran a thread asking if anyone had such a lead for a Sanyo radio I have and one member very kindly came up with one. If I can find the thread, there may be some info there. Figure of 8 connects won't work.

B

crackle 18th Jun 2021 7:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1383323)
A touch of super glue (fantastic for PVC used in the cable) and a bit of heatshrink tube it will be as good as a bought one.

??? :o :o :o

mickydel 18th Jun 2021 8:01 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Finally managed to locate a 'figure of 8' plug but it did not fit. I am not sure if there are any variations for the 'figure of 8' that I should try...is there a smaller 'figure of 8'? I have attached a photo of the socket and the new plug...There is a slight difference in size.
Best regards.
Michael.

eddie_ce 18th Jun 2021 9:12 am

I seem to remember that the plug for the Braun electric razor was smaller than the normal figure of eight. Possibly an option?

boxdoctor 18th Jun 2021 11:03 am

In the '70s, when I was working for Comet, we had quite a few different radios/cassette players etc. to service with this type of mains plug. They were of oriental origin, but I don't recall any being specifically Japanese.

The dimensions are just that bit different to the common "Figure of eight" type , and they almost all were used with a mechanism which did automatic battery/mains switching, which relied on the shape of the plug body to work properly.

I would think they can still be sourced somewhere on the net. Tony.