UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Avo Wave Winder. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141844)

QQVO6/40 2nd Dec 2017 11:45 am

Avo Wave Winder.

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings all.

I have just made a purchase online from an Australian auction house. An Avo Wave Winder in fair condition with a wire tensioner with a small number of gears.
It was just so low in price I just couldnt resist.
I will be keeping it for my own use as I have a big collection of radios to restore and it will come into it's own.
I have not been able to identify exactly which one it is. I have looked on the "Net" for info but all I have found is a Youtube video that shows the same one I have.
I have read most of the very thorough posts by "Retired" from Huddersfield.
Looking at his pictures it shows that my purchase is indeed a Wave Winder but it is different to the one "Retired" has.
I do not have access to my machine yet as it is in Melbourne which is 1200klms from here. I plan on going for a little drive on Monday to retrieve it and a couple of other items.
I have a few small photos of it from the auction house and I will attempt to post these.
I have been a member here for quite a few years but I have never posted pictures before. I just have to "get with it".

Maybe somebody can identify the beastie I have just bought. And maybe point me towards a download book so I can read the gear details for the ones that are missing.
Moderators please if this doesn't work don't shoot me!

Haha. Just joking.

Cheers.
Robert.

Station X 2nd Dec 2017 12:04 pm

Re: Avo Wave Winder.

I can't identify your coil winder, but replacement gears are certainly available:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=19001

Freya 2nd Dec 2017 12:05 pm

5 Attachment(s)
extracted pictures from docx

QQVO6/40 2nd Dec 2017 12:24 pm

Thank you Graham.
Very much appreciated.
I will follow up on the links you provided.
The tall item in the pictures would be the wire tensioner.
This will go on the "to do list" as I have quite a few jobs in front of it. Current project on the bench is an R390-A ex US Navy comms reciever.
And thank you Stephen for extracting the pics for me as I guess there are some members who do not have access to "Office".

A solid thank you to both of you for helping me.

Cheers.
Robert.

Station X 2nd Dec 2017 12:28 pm

I don't know whether you have the manual, but I've managed to find a hard copy.

It may be a while before I can scan it though.

QQVO6/40 2nd Dec 2017 12:55 pm

Graham, you are magical.
I don't really know much about it at all. Mostly what is in the Photos.
I do not have a book for it and I haven't as yet been able to identify exactly which model it is.

A scan of the book would be wonderful.

No hurry at all as these need to be treated with love and care as other people have said.
I have a WWII AWA branded transmitter here that I will eventually restore that has an open circuit coil that is begging for a Wave Winder. How about that? And this one pops up on an auction site and it was so small a cost I couldnt say no.

Yes I am a tragic! I don't hoard I just accumulate.

Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers, Robert.

M0FYA Andy 2nd Dec 2017 3:33 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Robert,
Is this what you are looking for?
Andy

Station X 3rd Dec 2017 1:16 pm

Yes. That's the manual I have, so no need for me to scan it. Yippee!

The Philpott 3rd Dec 2017 9:47 pm

Very nice indeed. Probably quite a rare piece of machinery. I bet Honda wouldn't be able to teach ASIMO how to 'drive' it.. Now that you've got the manual you have a chance to have a go though!

majoconz 4th Dec 2017 10:04 am

Looks very similar to the one that was in the Wellington Workshops of the CAA back in the 70's. We had a full-time man who knew how to drive that machine and could repair the most complicated of RF coils and 99% of them worked perfectly. This was when every control tower had an Eddystone 680x, notionally used to check the NDB's but most often to check the cricket score or the winner of the 4.30. - quite often the Eddys had RF transformers popped due to lightning strikes.

Under supervision us senior techs were allowed to make transformers for our latest projects - supply your own stack of E's and I's and make your own mandrel for the centre. There was also a vacuum impregnator and a high voltage insulation tester to make sure all was good.

All gone now when Airways took over - I managed to score a Singer NM 37/57 field strength meter recently for a pittance in non-working order - popped fuse replaced and all good!

QQVO6/40 7th Dec 2017 4:01 am

Hello everyone.

I have just returned from a little drive to pick up my new (old) Wave Winder.
Feeling quite worn out as I have driven just on 2,400km in 2 days. I have hurt my neck as well. Must have been while I was doing the swivel head thing coping with the drivers in Melbourne. Sounds like a parochial statement as I am from New South Wales but the truth is I live in a country area and not now used to driving in the city. A bit odd as I used to drive large trucks on interstate jobs so many years ago.
All of this is to say I have not abandoned this thread. Just feeling a little frazzled.
Anyway, the wave winder looks to be in better condition than the orriginal photos portrayed. It does not rotate easily but I think it is just that the lubricant used on it so long ago has gone gummy and stuck it all together. When I can get over the aches and pains I will give it a good go over with a spray oil and see if it will disolve the crud gluing it up. Overall I think a really good clean will be all it needs.
In total there is around 20 gears with it so I am half way there to the total. Really for the price I paid for it I am doing really well.
The wire tensioner seems to be all there as well. I just have to work out how it operates. It is different to the ones I have seen with other coil winders. I will put some photos on here when I get a chance to take some.

All good!

Thank you to all of the people who have responded to my thread. It really is very much appreciated.

Cheers. Robert.