UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   BV-613 receiver (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=150486)

CesarLG 14th Oct 2018 10:06 pm

BV-613 receiver

5 Attachment(s)
Hello!
I would like to have some information on this green radio. A circuit diagram would be great. I would love also an actual picture in order to understand if what I have have is original or some parts have been taken out.
Here you have some pictures

M0FYA Andy 15th Oct 2018 9:22 am

Re: BV-613 receiver

I recollect that this radio is covered in the Wireless For The Warrior series of books.

Andy

Station X 15th Oct 2018 9:40 am

It's covered in volume 3 of WFTW. No circuit diagram though.

Built by Philco in 1944. Your set looks complete when compared with the drawings.

It's derived from Reception Set BV-611 and BV-612 (1942) for which there is a circuit in WFTW.

CesarLG 15th Oct 2018 10:24 am

Well it is good that ig is from 500 to 1500kHz... So i can receive commercial radio at least. I saw information that stated it to be 200-500kHz

What I need to know is more or less is condenser values...
I hope the vibrator is working

Station X 15th Oct 2018 11:58 am

I lack a flat bed scanner, so can't scan the 612 circuit for you.

If you can wait a day or two I'll photograph it for you. I photograph things outside where the light's good, but it's raining at present.

CesarLG 15th Oct 2018 12:00 pm

Thank you very much! I guess it is similar than the 612

Station X 21st Oct 2018 1:55 pm

I've taken the pictures. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Station X 22nd Oct 2018 1:42 pm

Pictures sent. The files are large as I did not want to reduce them and lose detail.

CesarLG 25th Oct 2018 7:24 am

5 Attachment(s)
I just received the radio. It is complete but the vibrator is not working. I have checked connections on the 2 sides of the relays, and they are fine. I have cleaned them with contact cleaner and used a very thin file to eliminate any rust. Still nothing. I have also applied 6V directly to the vibrator on the table, still nothing.

I am thinking about using a solid state one. Has anybody tried this?

Station X 25th Oct 2018 8:36 am

1 Attachment(s)
That doesn't look too bad when compared to some old vibrators I've seen. If the coil has continuity, the contacts are clean and the armature is free to move there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Can you measure the coil's resistance between pins 1 and 2? Ditto pins 1 and 4?

I've used a solid state vibrator SSV and it works fine.

CesarLG 30th Oct 2018 8:45 am

Now, the vibrator works after another cleaning... It sometimes doesn't start up, but I guess contacts will get better the more I use it.

I would like to know if you guys connect ve- to the wire that is connected to chasis... This is what I did. I have read that many car radios had the ve+ connected to ground... That is why I ask.

Ok, Now that I have vibrator on, and all tubes are warm and lit, I have no sound... :-[

Station X 30th Oct 2018 9:44 am

The set should work with the battery connected either way round. It was not intended for use in a vehicle, but were it used in this way, deriving its power from the vehicle's battery, it would be prudent for the polarity of the radio's chassis, which is connected to the earth terminal, to match that of the vehicle's chassis.

First step in investigating the lack of sound should be to check for HT voltage. If there is none check for AC on the primary and secondary windings of the step up transformer.

Radio Wrangler 30th Oct 2018 9:58 am

That vibrator has switches to work as a synchronous rectifier, so the polarity of HT you get can depend on the polarity of power you apply to the set. The vibrator may buzz happily but with the contacts grounding the wrong end of the HT winding each half-cycle....

David

Station X 30th Oct 2018 10:00 am

1 Attachment(s)
It's not used in that way though. The set has a valve rectifier.

CesarLG 30th Oct 2018 10:12 am

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry. I am a noob regarding tubes and old radios.

Should I check HT in the otput of every tube? I guess this point is the tip of the tube

At this point should I mention I have a signal injector? Is this handy for this checking purposes?

I guess there is a procedure with it starting from the speaker or the antenna on wards...

Station X 30th Oct 2018 10:19 am

You'll need a Digital Multimeter (DMM) to check the HT voltage.

Negative lead of meter to chassis and positive lead of meter to the smoothing capacitor. The cap is at bottom left of the extract from the circuit.

CesarLG 30th Oct 2018 10:33 am

1 Attachment(s)
OK C2A and C4A, those are that brown mica caps.
I will Check it as this afternoon when I get home

Thank you!

Herald1360 30th Oct 2018 10:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1087348)
That vibrator has switches to work as a synchronous rectifier, so the polarity of HT you get can depend on the polarity of power you apply to the set. The vibrator may buzz happily but with the contacts grounding the wrong end of the HT winding each half-cycle....

David

The picture showed a 4-pin vibrator. Surely that has to be a non-synchronous type? Not enough legs for anything else.

CesarLG 30th Oct 2018 10:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald1360 (Post 1087368)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1087348)

David

The picture showed a 4-pin vibrator. Surely that has to be a non-synchronous type? Not enough legs for anything else.

yes, as far as I know it is non-sync

Station X 30th Oct 2018 11:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CesarLG (Post 1087360)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1087357)
You'll need a Digital Multimeter (DMM) to check the HT voltage.

Negative lead of meter to chassis and positive lead of meter to the smoothing capacitor. The cap is at bottom left of the extract from the circuit.

ok C2A and C4A, those are that brown mica caps.
I will Check it as this afternoon when I get home

Thank you!

No. Those are mica caps. The smoothing cap is in the aluminium can.