UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Telequipment D61 Scope. Any interest / value in these? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152983)

GSBX1220 8th Jan 2019 11:08 pm

Telequipment D61 Scope. Any interest / value in these?

Hi

I have one of the above here. It's surplus to my requirement and seems to have a couple of issues that I have not investigated.

First issue is that the horizontal timebase as shrunk and the other one is that there appears to be some distrotion on CH1.

Is this worth fixing? Is there any interest in them? I don't want to chuck it out. But I have no room for it.

Electronpusher0 9th Jan 2019 7:58 am

Re: Telequipment D61 Scope. Any interest / value in these?

It certainly has value, a quick check on e-bay shows several for sale but none in the UK.
Prices range from £30 to £147 but the latter is wishful thinking.
Looking at SOLD listings they seem to make between £15 and £30.

Peter

turretslug 9th Jan 2019 3:02 pm

Unfortunately, over the last decade or so, a lot of "educational/basic servicing"-type 'scopes like this have ended up on the market, and the fact that it's not quite fully working won't help with the sale.

There does seem to be an attitude of "don't waste time fixing it, 'cos you can get another for peanuts"- that's all well and good and pretty much true at the moment but it may result be a future dearth of down-to-earth, easy to drive and understand CRT 'scopes. I think it's worth sorting out things like this with non-terminal (terminal being EHT transformer/mains transformer/CRT/bespoke clever IC) faults but I may be in a minority!

Good luck with whatever you do with it, shame it's at the other end of the country,

Colin

GSBX1220 10th Jan 2019 12:28 am

Yes, I do feel it could live on in some way either as a parts donor or as repaired. I was not sure if these old basic scopes had any sort of following. I know there is a huge following for Old Tektronix scopes.

Herald1360 10th Jan 2019 11:55 am

Offer it to us monkeys here for peanuts or bung it on Ebay with a £5 start!

Otherwise, find a WEEE skip after harvesting any useful valves and transformers which would sell.

GSBX1220 10th Jan 2019 10:59 pm

Anyone here is welcome to it. I might put something in the offered section. I don't want anything for it. I had my fun out it years ago and served well doing stuff on audio circuits. I have a decent Tek scope so even if I did have the interest to fix it, I would not use it.

It will need a recap as a minimum, and whatever else it needs will take it over its value.

Funnily enough, I have done similar to old cars in the past and thought nothing of it!

Maybe that's why I'm skint!

Argus25 11th Jan 2019 12:16 am

I think all vintage Telequipment scopes are worth the time repairing and keeping running.

I remember the very first time I saw one as a boy on the dashboard of one of the Thunderbirds with its characteristic black & red knobs, though I think the D61 has grey & red.

I have a big scope collection with scopes like 2465B's that outspec all the old Telequipment scopes, but I wouldn't part with my Telequipment D52 scope for love or money, there is something about it that makes it magical. The one I have has a dual phosphor blue-yellow CRT too with an orange filter. I also have a spare nos crt for it and a green version of the crt too.

So don't part out the D61, hand it to someone who will restore it to its former glory.

Radio Wrangler 11th Jan 2019 5:31 am

That D61 is a good scope for someone to learn scope fixing on. It may not have much financial value, but it has a lot of educational potential.

With a two-channel beamswitch and a helical PDA, it's representative of things found in much posher models, but without the scary dual timebase.

David

Diabolical Artificer 11th Jan 2019 8:03 am

Quote:

That D61 is a good scope for someone to learn scope fixing on. It may not have much financial value, but it has a lot of educational potential.
I was just going to say the same thing, David beat me to it. I've worked on a few of these Telequipment scopes, they are simple-ish and good to cut your teeth on if your learning. Careful though, there are some lethal voltages inside.

Andy.

dr_nick 11th Jan 2019 11:34 am

Richard,

Looking at the manual it looks like an ideal scope for a lot of people on this forum; and unless I have got it wrong it is all discrete components with modern equivalent parts, good documentation etc..

If you do want to part with it I’d love to give it a go - and of course pay the going rate / make a donation to your favourite charity.

Nick.