UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Zinc plate and passivate? Restoration. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155358)

Steve G4WCS 1st Apr 2019 11:47 am

Zinc plate and passivate? Restoration.

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up a "linear" amplifier.

Front panel looks OK and it needs a good de-dusting. but the back panel could do with a light restoration.

Is it zinc plated and passivated and is there a receommended method of restoration? I'm thinking alng the lines of some sort of coloured lacquer ( I'm sure you could get something similar for restoring the finish on carburettors ) rather than completely dismantling the unit and getting the panel re-plated.

Bazz4CQJ 1st Apr 2019 5:07 pm

Re: Zinc plate and passivate? Restoration.

I'm not sure that I've heard of a passivation process being applied to a zinc coating. Perhaps more likely, the platers had some tricks up their sleeve to get a zinc plating with a specific look.

Most carburettors are made of aluminium alloys; I don't think I've seen one with zinc plating.

There are kits on the market to carry out plating by means of a cotton swab on the end of a graphite rod, that is dipped in a plating solution and then used to do electroplating. I've seen quite good results from them, especially when the area is small as in your case. They may well be worth a try.

B

Steve G4WCS 1st Apr 2019 7:58 pm

This was the stuff I was thinking of. Supposed to replicate zinc chromate

https://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-bro...SABEgJfvPD_BwE

Bazz4CQJ 1st Apr 2019 8:57 pm

So, the Eastwood stuff is an acrylic paint which looks like zinc chromate. I wonder how closely it will match?

If you are going to remove the existing zinc with carbide paper or whatever, I guess that will get you down to to plain steel. As you don't have endure the under-bonnet conditions of temperature and petrol, I wonder if you could find something cheaper than £16, perhaps something from the model paint people like Humbrol (who have a metallic bronze).

I'm not too sure that any paint will give a really close match to real zinc plate, but guess it depends on how demanding you are :shrug:.

B

alanworland 1st Apr 2019 11:40 pm

Unless things have changed I thought a zinc plated finish could either have a clear or coloured passivated finish applied?
Might be worth asking a platers

Alan

Bazz4CQJ 2nd Apr 2019 3:26 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanworland (Post 1133563)
Unless things have changed I thought a zinc plated finish could either have a clear or coloured passivated finish applied?
Might be worth asking a platers. Alan

A couple of moments on Google reveals that zinc platers do indeed use the term "passivation" to describe the addition of a chromate layer on top of the zinc layer.

The terminology is a bit loose; a more formal description of passivation is as per Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passivation_(chemistry) but we start to get in to splitting hairs over passivation and inhibition.

For an object which lives in a environment which is not very corrosive, I think you'd expect standard zinc coating to be satisfactory.

B

Steve G4WCS 4th Apr 2019 8:47 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Linear arrived tonight. Opted for citric acit derust (lemon juice), Brasso, and hard paste wax.
Will do a restoration post in success stories if 80’s kit is deemed vintage / interesting enough

Bazz4CQJ 4th Apr 2019 11:05 pm

That looks really good. A re-visit with the wax every blue-moon might well keep it that way!

B

Uncle Bulgaria 6th Apr 2019 8:21 pm

That's made a real difference - it's easy to see where the tissues were (I assume soaked in lemon juice?)

Steve G4WCS 6th Apr 2019 8:42 pm

Yes, an hour in lemon juice, brought the rust pits back to grey steel

Bazz4CQJ 7th Apr 2019 12:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve G4WCS (Post 1135019)
Yes, an hour in lemon juice, brought the rust pits back to grey steel

And by "lemon juice" we really mean...citric acid, as I mention... occasionally ;D

B

Uncle Bulgaria 24th Apr 2019 7:01 pm

My mother had great difficulty getting citric acid a few years ago for some preserves. The shopkeeper said that apparently there was some control of it because of its propensity to get cut with cocaine!

Bazz4CQJ 24th Apr 2019 8:00 pm

Never had any problems, either on the High Street or ebay.

Used some citric yesterday to clean up a small mild steel bracket which was rusty in some places and covered with zinc plate in others. Cooked it up to about 50°C, and after about an hour, both the rust and the zinc were gone leaving a very a really nice surface to paint with primer.

B

superdirto 24th Apr 2019 8:40 pm

That's a good Linear I have one of those, very clean output and the preamps a boon:)