UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Restoring brass knob brights. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15443)

Hermit6345 14th Mar 2007 10:48 pm

Restoring brass knob brights.

This Ultra U960 is turning into a labour of love! Every resistor miles high, split Hunts caps etc.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to restore the "gold" on the centre of the knobs and at the centre of the large tuning dial knob? I guess they were anodised or something? Anyway mine have gone a nasty black colour. The knobs also have a gold line round the circumference of each knob which could do with refurbishment.

Regards,

Ian

Nickthedentist 15th Mar 2007 10:32 am

Re: Ultra U960

Most of these "gold" inserts respond well to polishing with Brasso then lacquering. Not absolutely sure about your U960 though.;)

Aerodyne 15th Mar 2007 11:54 am

If they are genuine brass and lacquered, the remaining lacquer may prove hard to shift. I use paint stripper! You will need to relacquer them. Spray lacquer as used for cabinets is OK as a refinisher, but you can buy specific metal lacquer if you prefer. If the metal is plated with brass, the possibility is that the plating has failed. The easiest answer in that case is to paint-spray the inserts.
-Tony

Nickthedentist 15th Mar 2007 12:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerodyne (Post 107092)
If they are genuine brass and lacquered, the remaining lacquer may prove hard to shift. I use paint stripper!

And I think Howard advocates soaking in vinegar to soften it.

It would help if you removed them. Never try to prise them off though or you'll bend them. Try a sharp tap, Sellotape, or if there's access from the rear, pushing them off from behind.

Nick.

Hermit6345 15th Mar 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks gents,

I already tried Brasso, but that didn't seem to do much except polish the bit of "Gold" left. I will try the other methods suggested. I have not tried removing them yet and will take great care not to damage them. The next challenge will be to re-polish the cabinet!

Thanks again to those that replied.

Regards,

Ian.

Nickthedentist 15th Mar 2007 1:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit6345 (Post 107101)
I already tried Brasso, but that didn't seem to do much except polish the bit of "Gold" left.

You might find that the "bit of gold left" is just where the original lacquer has come off, and that there's more "gold" to be found under the rest of the lacquer. Well hopefully;)

Hermit6345 15th Mar 2007 6:11 pm

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, I did as you suggested and I finally got all the old lacquer off and the brights now shine like new. I am going to fill the outer gold ring with some metallic gold paint that I have. So thanks everybody for the tips and hints..onto the cabinet next.

Regards,

Ian

Nickthedentist 15th Mar 2007 6:24 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit6345 (Post 107138)
Yes, I did as you suggested and I finally got all the old lacquer off and the brights now shine like new.

That's good news, Ian;D

Hermit6345 16th Mar 2007 6:26 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Nicholas.

I got some gold paint today and using a tiny brush and magnifier headset painted the circumference ring. I don't think it looks too bad for a beginner!
I am delighted with how it's going so far.

Regards,

Ian.

Nickthedentist 16th Mar 2007 6:29 pm

Excellent work Ian!

You can sometimes paint things like this crudely, then use Brasso or similar to remove the excess, leaving a neatish finish.

But being careful to start with is better still:thumbsup:

Nick.