UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Two lovely Cossors. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180612)

stevehertz 27th May 2021 2:25 pm

Two lovely Cossors.

1 Attachment(s)
My avatar tells a story, that my Cossor 375 is my favourite VR in the looks department. In fact, quite a few Cossors of the mid thirties had that particular, bold, 'Odeon' art deco style that I like so much. I also have a 364 'thermometer' set that looks nice, but I recently had the opportunity to buy a 385 set that is very similar to the 375 in looks. For now I've not delved into an electronic restoration, but I've worked on the case using my refurbishing skills and tricks to make it look nice again. Anyway, I wanted to see what it looked like compared to my very similar 375. Here's a composite photo. Which one do you prefer and why?

The 385 is on the left, 375 on the right.

fetteler 27th May 2021 3:15 pm

Re: Two lovely Cossors.

Two absolutely beautiful sets I must say. Like you I am very fond of the '30s 'Odeon' style as you so nicely describe it - not only in radio cabinets but in general.

As to choosing between them, well it's just impossible, they are both superb, if anything the 385 just nips in for me, only because I think the litte bit of detailing (the vertical pattern) under the tuning knob of the 375 looks a tad overstated for me. If it were not for that then I think my preference would be the other way round but again, only just.

Top job on the cabinets.

Steve.

Cobaltblue 27th May 2021 3:28 pm

I prefer the 375.

I really like the look of the Cossor sets with the metal speaker surround such as the 379.

Cheers

Mike T

vinrads 27th May 2021 5:33 pm

Its the one on the right for me ,very Art Deco. lovely , Mick.

Buzby123 28th May 2021 12:20 am

I too think the pattern under the 375 tuning knob is just a bit too much, but I still prefer this set.

The wooden trim on the 385 looks wrong to my eyes. It does not match the style of the knobs or the dial.

However, I'd be happy to save either from going on the bonfire, which where I saw lots of these old radios go when I was a kid.

Beardyman 28th May 2021 7:29 am

If I absolutely had to choose then it would be the one on the right but its a marginal choice! Both beautiful radios & epitomise the era. You lucky chap!

IanG3XYV 28th May 2021 9:17 am

I’m biased-I have a 375!

Gabe001 28th May 2021 3:19 pm

The 385 for me, I like the different veneer styles. But both of them look great.

Herald1360 29th May 2021 10:33 am

375 here. I prefer the metal trim to the rather fussy veneer.

Of my own sets it's a toss up between the Marconi 264 and Beethoven 77 for '30s Brits.

usradcoll1 31st May 2021 12:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe001 (Post 1378610)
The 385 for me, I like the different veneer styles. But both of them look great.

They're both highly desirable!
In the US, we refer to that cabinet as a tombstone. The rounded top ones, we refer to as Cathedrals. I don't like them as well!
I also don't like push buttons!
Dave, USradcoll1 Opinionated as usual. :beer:

peter_scott 31st May 2021 9:05 am

375 for me.

Peter

mister valve 31st Jul 2021 8:22 pm

I love them both, but the model 375 just wins by a whisker !