UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bush SRP 41 Case Clean (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141169)

daveyboy1a 7th Nov 2017 8:01 pm

Bush SRP 41 Case Clean

Hi,

Just restoring a Bush SRP41 Record Player and my final task is to clean the case, which is a leather look material, I have tried Stardrops but wondering if anyone has used any other cleaning materials for similar jobs.

Many thanks

Dave.

Hartley118 7th Nov 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Bush SRP 41 Case Clean

I successfully used Swarfega on mine, though care is needed on the older Rexine materials because it can soften the colour pigment.

Martin

Colourstar 7th Nov 2017 10:25 pm

To do the job properly, take off all the hinges and catches first and keep them safe. I usually strip out the entire cabinet for cleaning, or as much as is practical.

I've had great results with a soap bar such as Astonish Stain Remover, or even one of the old style green bars of Fairy soap. If you use that with a bowl of warm water and either a sponge scourer pad (or nail brush if the dirt is badly ingrained) it should do the trick. Wipe off the soapy residue with a clean damp cloth and then leave it to dry. It leaves the rexine clean and with a nice feel to it. To finish, a very small amount of spray furniture polish (spray on the cleaning cloth rather than on the cabinet) will buff up a nice sheen when the case is thoroughly dry.

Everyone has their favourite method but that works for me.

Good luck!
Steve :thumbsup:

daveyboy1a 7th Nov 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks both, I have taken the hinges and catches off and will have a go tomorrow. Managed to get everything else sparkling, the deck has been off and has had a re-spray. Can't wait to get it back together and get some old records playing.

daveyboy1a 8th Nov 2017 12:13 am

many thanks both, will have a go at cleaning tomorrow. So far everything else has come up sparkling, deck has been off and had a re-spray. Internal cleansed and regreased. looking forward to getting it back together to listen to some old records.

paulsherwin 8th Nov 2017 12:24 am

Foaming cleanser spray seems pretty good for most conventional grime. The aerosols are marketed for umpteen different uses - bathrooms, carpets, car upholstery etc. - but it all seems to be much of a muchness. You just spray on a good layer, wait 5 minutes for the foam to break down, then wipe it off with a rag.

If some of the surface colour leaches out during cleaning you can probably bring it back with some meths or IPA after it's dried out.