UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Philips 'Reverbeo' B7X14A query (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31866)

'LIVEWIRE?' 2nd Sep 2008 7:31 pm

Philips 'Reverbeo' B7X14A query

My question relates to the Reverberation Unit. I have refitted the spring line reverb. unit to the rear of the chassis with the spring line facing inwards, and am wondering if this is correct ( I removed it some while ago to facilitate repairs and have lost my note as to which way round it was originally fitted)

howard 2nd Sep 2008 7:43 pm

Re: Philips 'Reverbio' B7X14A query

1 Attachment(s)
Well my Reverbeo looks like this from the back .... I'm sure you have refitted yours correctly.

I must straighten that piece of felt on the back of the reverb unit sometime ...

Howard :)

'LIVEWIRE?' 3rd Sep 2008 7:27 am

Thanks, Howard. As it's someone else's radio I wanted to be particularlysure that I'd reassembled it correctly.

geofy 3rd Sep 2008 10:41 am

Daft question time, I have not seen or heard one of these, what exactly does the reveb spring do, or do I need to open another thread for this ???

thanks
Geof

batterymaker1 3rd Sep 2008 1:15 pm

Re: Philips 'Reverbeo' B7X14A query

It adds a little echo-like quality to the music.

geofy 3rd Sep 2008 2:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by batterymaker1 (Post 198942)
It adds a little echo-like quality to the music.

Thanks batterymaker1, I had a suspicion this was the reason as I couldn't see any electrical purpose for it, seems a bit of a bizarre way to do it. I would keep thinking something had come loose ???

Geof

Paul Stenning 3rd Sep 2008 3:43 pm

In a repair I wrote up ages ago here I said:

Quote:

As for the reverb thing - well it's OK on instrumental music, and does give a sort of surround-sound effect. But on speech, or songs with vocals, it's awful! I think it's more of a novelty really - I really can't imagine that people actually used it for serious listening.

With regard to the reverb system the publicity information says:

Quote:

Electro acoustical reverberation unit gives considerable depth and spaciousness to sound stemming from radio broadcasts or gramophone records and appears to expand the dimension of a conventional room to those of a concert hall.
Slight exaggeration I think...

Mike Phelan 3rd Sep 2008 4:49 pm

Nearly electronic organs had (have?) the same sort of reverb spring delay line.

My Saba radiogram does, and I actually use it (sad, I know) but I tend to turn the knob down or off on speech.