UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ferguson 3v29 Replacing all belts. Help. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160673)

ssnjimb 19th Oct 2019 6:07 pm

Ferguson 3v29 Replacing all belts. Help.

1 Attachment(s)
Hello

I cannot get this belt off to replace it.

Plus the unit turns on. But none of the stop start rewind FF etc buttons do anything.

I have replaced all other belts except the one shown in the pic and capstan belt (new one was deteriorated. :angry: )

James

AndiiT 19th Oct 2019 6:18 pm

Re: Ferguson 3v29 Replacing all belts. Helllp

Hi, From memory (and it's been a while since I replaced belts on a 3V29/30) the best way to approach this is to remove the two screws which secure the assembly to the chassis then release one of the circlips on the gear assembly pin to allow it to be withdrawn then replace the loading belt.

Upon re - fitting the assembly to the chassis you need to ensure that the tape guides are held back towards their rest position, I think you may only have to do this with the right hand guide however as I said it's been some time since I performed the procedure and no longer have a machine to hand to check.

The buttons not working are most likely due to a failed cassette lamp, there's a small white spring loaded plunger at the front left side of the mechanism under the cassette housing - pressing this plunger should light the lamp (in normal use the cassette would perform this action)

Regards

Andrew

ssnjimb 19th Oct 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Ferguson 3v29 Replacing all belts. Help.

Hello Andrew

So if this lamp is not working the machine will do nothing even with a tape in it not.

James

Snarf81 19th Oct 2019 8:23 pm

You need to take off the circlip on the left, then slide out the metal rod enough to lift the pulley slightly, then with a bit of wiggling you can get the old belt off and the new belt in, but be careful not to loose the small black plastic shim that fits between the pulley and metal bracket.

If there's no light bulb illuminating when you power on the player then the cassette bulb has blown which will mean no tape transport.

Good luck

Richard.

Nickthedentist 19th Oct 2019 8:58 pm

All answers here...
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...2&d=1401009755

ssnjimb 19th Oct 2019 9:13 pm

Thankyou Thankyou :-):clap:

toshiba tony 19th Oct 2019 10:25 pm

At least the 3v29 only has one loading belt. Some Hitachi's had two performing similar functions. As the poster said don't forget to hold the left hand guide back (it's sprung) or the loading arms will be out of sync. on the loading ring.

dj_fivos_sak 21st Oct 2019 2:19 pm

Andrew is correct. You need to remove the loading motor and gear assembly, then remove the retaining ring and and then slide the worm gear to remove the old belt. Then you install the new belt and put everything back together.

Fivos

mickash 22nd Oct 2019 1:44 am

It's also worth checking whether the black grease on the worm gear still is grease-like. The grease in some VCRs deteriorated into an almost rubber-like substance causing the gears to stick and putting strain on the motors and belts.

If the grease has gone like this it should be cleaned off with a solvent like IPA or meths using cottons buds or an old toothbrush. The gears should then be re-greased using Molycote or similar.

Welsh Anorak 22nd Oct 2019 12:34 pm

I always used to put an old belt - a long one - over both the loading arms and the reels to prevent them moving when you took the loading block out.
Oh - watch those shims (if they're still there, of course...)

ssnjimb 22nd Oct 2019 5:50 pm

Hello everyone

Thankyou for your useful tips.

What type of grease should I use ?

Thanks

James

davyrocket2 22nd Oct 2019 10:06 pm

A melting point copperslip

davyrocket2 23rd Oct 2019 10:41 am

should have said high melting point graphic or coppaslip which a light smear should not melt and contaminate the belts

Vauxfan2k 28th Oct 2019 11:07 pm

You can substitute the cassette lamp bulb with a 1.2w capless dashboard bulb from any motor factors just solder the contacts to the wires and seat the bulb in the holder.