UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Telephony and Telecomms (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Plugging in extension causes main to ring (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=177035)

Ken Taylor 25th Feb 2021 12:43 pm

Plugging in extension causes main to ring

Not particularly a vintage phone question but maybe some of you experts could help me. BT Openreach have just been and installed a new master socket (NTE5?). I asked them to reconnect the cable to the extension upstairs but when I plugged in my 706 and lifted the handset, it caused the downstairs phone to ring continuously - not just tinkle. I replaced the 706 with a modern Scepter 100 (OK, relatively modern) and it did the same. Placing an ADSL filter in front of the phone made no difference. Any idea what's happening here before I get BT back?

Thanks Ken

winston_1 25th Feb 2021 1:11 pm

Re: Plugging in extension causes main to ring

I seem to recall this happens when the A and B wires (terminals 2 and 5) are reversed in the extension socket.

Station X 25th Feb 2021 1:40 pm

I know that extension wiring faults can cause this, but I've only ever known it happen with phones that have electronic tone ringers rather than electro-magnetic bells. The latter require 25Hz AC to operate them and as far as I know this will only be present when an incoming call is awaiting answer.

Ken Taylor 25th Feb 2021 1:53 pm

I haven't tried a different phone on the main socket yet - the one that rings is an electronic ringer.

Ken

Station X 25th Feb 2021 2:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Taylor (Post 1346151)
I haven't tried a different phone on the main socket yet - the one that rings is an electronic ringer.

Ken

I was confused because you said it was a continuous ring and not just a tinkle. Tinkle to me means a magneto bell.

russell_w_b 25th Feb 2021 2:35 pm

Pretty sure it happens when there's a reversal of wire 2 and 5 at the telephone with the electronic ringer.

When you lift the handset of the 706 (or 746), the 12V d.c. passes from wire 5 through T18 and 19, one set of switch-hook contacts, the ASTIC, the regulator, the other set of switch contacts and out through Terminals 4,5,6 to Terminal 3 in the master LJU thence to wire 3 of the extension telephone cable.

But if the bottom of the electronic ringer is connected to wire 2 instead of wire 5. there'll be a direct current through it and it will hoot.

Ken Taylor 25th Feb 2021 3:25 pm

Yes, I should not of written tinkle for an electronic ringer, sorry about that.

Russell, sound like a very good description of the problem, I'll check the wiring.

Thanks both for the advice.
Ken

dagskarlsen 25th Feb 2021 4:07 pm

If it helps on the feeling, I have had some tinkle like sounds on the oldest electronic ringer I have, in that hence that when an other rotary phone is used it comes a weak beep for each pulse. :-)

Guest 25th Feb 2021 6:34 pm

That's minor, our cordless 'phones ring for another cycle even after the other party has answered it.

russell_w_b 25th Feb 2021 6:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1346289)
That's minor, our cordless 'phones ring for another cycle even after the other party has answered it.

Yes, our Panasonic cordless does that: one of the newer generation of 'two-wire' telephones.

Mrs B. likes that one and it's handy for DTMF but it sits next to my current living room telephone (a 1960 type 710), and it's annoying when I answer the 710 and the cordless is still bonging away.

Ken Taylor 26th Feb 2021 12:12 pm

3 Attachment(s)
I'm still rather confused regarding my original question so I've attached a photo of the new master socket wiring and the hall extension, which has not been changed. Does it look right? (sorry about the poor photography)

By the way, our BT Sonus cordless also keeps chirping for a while after the call has been answered on the 706!

Ken

Scimitar 26th Feb 2021 12:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Taylor (Post 1346552)
I'm still rather confused regarding my original question so I've attached a photo of the new master socket wiring and the hall extension, which has not been changed. Does it look right? (sorry about the poor photography)

By the way, our BT Sonus cordless also keeps chirping for a while after the call has been answered on the 706!

Ken

Wiring is wrong.

Blue/white to 2, White/blue to 5, Orange/white to 3.

Pellseinydd 26th Feb 2021 1:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimitar (Post 1346566)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Taylor (Post 1346552)

Ken

Wiring is wrong.

Blue/White to 2, White/blue to 5, Green/white to 5.

Blue/White on 2 and White/Blue to 5 as above.

Orange/White should be on 3 on extension sockets.

White/Orange & Green/White & White/Green are not used on residential setups.

See [URL="https://britishtelephones.com/wiring/socketwiring.htm"][URL="https://britishtelephones.com/wiring/socketwiring.htm"][/URL for more info.

cheerfulcharlie 26th Feb 2021 3:05 pm

Looks like white/blue spot in the first picture is not connected by the time it gets to the extension ..you have blue/white spot connected instead

Ken Taylor 26th Feb 2021 3:59 pm

Well it seems whoever originally wired the extensions up when the house was built used a different colour code but at least it worked. With the new master socket the BT engineer did it properly. I have now rewired both extensions, but I cannot test it yet as the line has gone dead - due, I hope, to the old number being transferred to the new line.

Thanks for all the advice, I also found this URL helpful: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic...e%20Wiring.htm

198 kHz 26th Feb 2021 5:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Taylor (Post 1346114)
BT Openreach have just been and installed a new master socket (NTE5?).

Just for info - it's an NTE5C, which has superseded the 5A in recent years.

Ken Taylor 26th Feb 2021 5:17 pm

OK thanks. Has MK 4 on the cover too.

pip5678 26th Feb 2021 5:41 pm

It's a good job you didn't get BT back, might have been expensive!

Ken Taylor 26th Feb 2021 6:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip5678 (Post 1346679)
It's a good job you didn't get BT back, might have been expensive!

Right! Well the number transfer has completed and we have the line working again. The extensions now work properly, and interestingly, pulse dialing still works. As it is now a Plusnet FTTC line that surprised me.

Dave Moll 26th Feb 2021 7:56 pm

I'm glad it's all sorted now - and wired to BT conventions, which should cause less confusion in the future.