UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Original Upcycled Lamp - CRT unit (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169356)

PJL 25th Jul 2020 4:31 pm

The Original Upcycled Lamp - CRT unit

2 Attachment(s)
I guess this is a piece of lab equipment. It appears to be a display unit with only X1/X2 and Y1/Y2 inputs.

Fun, but not £45 worth of entertainment to me.

TonyDuell 25th Jul 2020 5:11 pm

Re: The Original Upcycled Lamp - CRT unit

My guess is those terminals go straight to the X and Y plates in the CRT (it doesn't look large enough to contain amplifiers).

If this is being sold to the general public I would be a little concerned about the risk of that CRT imploding.

Electronpusher0 25th Jul 2020 5:41 pm

There was an identical one being sold at Ford Car boot sale before lockdown, I decided not to buy.

Peter

PJL 25th Jul 2020 6:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 (Post 1273174)
There was an identical one being sold at Ford Car boot sale before lockdown, I decided not to buy.

Peter

Probably the same one as this is in Brighton.

Electronpusher0 25th Jul 2020 6:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyDuell (Post 1273151)
My guess is those terminals go straight to the X and Y plates in the CRT (it doesn't look large enough to contain amplifiers).

if this is the same one that I saw at Ford car boot I can confirm that Tony is right. The base is missing so you can see the wiring, just a power supply for the crt. The terminals on the back go straight to the crt base.

Peter

G6Tanuki 25th Jul 2020 6:55 pm

I can't make out the maker's name on the label but it looks to me like something a school/college would have to demonstrate the workings of a CRT.

Cobaltblue 25th Jul 2020 6:56 pm

I can't quite read the model number.

It has a bit of a Griffin and Tatlock/George/Sons look about it

Cheers

Mike T

ms660 25th Jul 2020 7:22 pm

Mullard B100.

Lawrence.

Cobaltblue 25th Jul 2020 7:30 pm

Nice one Laurence

Cheers

Mike T

turretslug 25th Jul 2020 7:43 pm

Curious- I would have expected a schools etc. demonstrator to have a better protected tube with at least a bit of shrouding/hooding. If nothing else, a bit more secure soft clamping (in the mechanical sense....) for that vulnerable tube. Could it have been a quick-change acceptance jig used by the manufacturer or someone like the MoD for checking gun centering, focus, deflection linearity and so on?

ms660 25th Jul 2020 7:56 pm

The Mullard B100 was used as a base unit in this oscilloscope construction article....P.W. December 1947, mag. page 497:

https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Pra...PW-1947-12.pdf

Lawrence.

Brigham 27th Jul 2020 10:38 am

That's a challenge for KarenO if ever I saw one!

Radio Wrangler 27th Jul 2020 2:00 pm

I think it was all exposed and not shielded so that they could experiment with magnetic deflection by waving coils and magnets around.

Nowadays it's at risk of being repurposed into a clock.

David

Brigham 29th Jul 2020 2:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1273802)
I think it was all exposed and not shielded so that they could experiment with magnetic deflection by waving coils and magnets around.

Nowadays it's at risk of being repurposed into a clock.

David

Where is it?

It needs securing. We can discuss what to do with it later.