UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Websites (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Excellent TV prog with tangential Radio content (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=183631)

mark_in_manc 9th Sep 2021 9:15 am

Excellent TV prog with tangential Radio content

Hi folks

Last night I caught an excellent recent film on BBC 4 called 'Garage People' about what Russians do in their sheds in a mining town in the arctic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000zgdc

One of the (less-featured) men is a radio amateur, and another bemoans that someone has nicked (for scrap) the boards from which he salvages electronic components - so I have an excuse to post here.

If is that rarest of things - an apparent documentary with no narration (not bit of Dan Cruikshank or Jay :censored: Blades!!), no background music (not a squeak of brass band, the sound of 'heritage'), and no emotional manipulation. Well, the stories are powerful, but for a change they are allowed to tell themselves.

There is a danger that films this good might alert the public as to how :censored: is much of the rest of their TV diet. No, that's far too optimistic.

AdrianH 9th Sep 2021 9:23 am

Re: Excellent TV prog with tangential Radio content

Set up on line recording and will have a watch.

Adrian

IanG3XYV 9th Sep 2021 11:59 am

I caught the second half of the programme and was mesmerized. The story telling and cinematography was stunning. It reminded me of a visit to Svalbard Islands in the high Arctic, now administered by Norway. For historical reasons there is a Russian settlement there still mining coal. I was able to visit and it was so reminiscent of the Iron Curtain days. I am sure it still exists for strategic reasons rather than economic.

I only saw a glimpse of the Russian radio operator but will have to watch the first part of the programme now.

Trevor 9th Sep 2021 1:49 pm

Just watched this ! I can only say fascinating
I was completely drawn in from the off. Life looks real hard out there.
Trev

HamishBoxer 9th Sep 2021 8:05 pm

I am glad I recorded this, though it did warn of strong language. Not seen it yet.

AdrianH 9th Sep 2021 8:14 pm

Well I watched it and apart from the opening words about transistors, the odd call sign being heard, I can not say the rest inspired me. :shrug:

Adrian

dave walsh 10th Sep 2021 1:09 am

Ok, well I will report back myself. Haven't watched it either yet but I did suspect that there might be an electronic angle. Men and sheds eh8-\. Top of tonight's viewing Tom Stoppard BBC1.

Dave W

Paul_RK 10th Sep 2021 8:07 am

A pity I didn't get to watch it on the old B & O, the household TV which gets about six hours' exercise a year, but warm thanks for the recommendation. Louise and I sat down to it last evening and were held from start to finish by the portrayed diversity of lives and dreams, only some of them vodka-drenched, lived in dilapidated Soviet-era garages which were the participants' chief refuge from their hardly less dilapidated Soviet-era housing. Almost all of it barely relevant to the forum, so I'm grateful to the moderators for permitting the thread.

Paul

Trevor 11th Sep 2021 12:43 pm

Watched it again and was completely riveted by the program !
What a hard life some of it imposed but some self inflicted
You have to admire the grit of these people makes some of us in the Uk look like complete wimps !Having said that the electrical install etc are frightening to say the least the scene where the guy with parkinson shows a plug with wires twisted through it for connections
No doubt I will watch it again
Trev

trickie_dickie 12th Sep 2021 1:28 am

Sad ending.

dave walsh 12th Sep 2021 10:17 am

A very interesting program and appropriate on quite a few levels perhaps?
After all the Forum is a refuge for those who have always sought to "make do and mend" and recycle and repair, isn't it? That was the basis of home construction in the 20's and 30's. It's certainly a tough life in the garage. There are Forum members who also lack easy access to components etc but at least are in a warmer environment.

Dave W

mark_in_manc 14th Sep 2021 4:33 pm

In case anyone who enjoyed the film is interested - using the Russian script on the mine shaft gates which transliterates to 'Fosagro' I think I tracked the town down to Kirovsk

https://www.phosagro.com/about/holding_kirovsk/