UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Airmec RadiVet 211 Thoughts and Opinions? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169448)

OldTechFan96 27th Jul 2020 9:47 pm

Airmec RadiVet 211 Thoughts and Opinions?

I came across this interesting piece of equipment while browsing copies of 'Service Engineer' from the early 1960s.

It is a combination instrument which can function as a AM/FM signal generator, wobbulator, 1MHz oscilloscope and an audio frequency generator. All for the princely sum of £69/6s!

It caught my eye as it could be used for sweep alignment of AM and FM receivers. It looks ideal for some of the things I'd like to do and learn about.

Does anybody have any experience of the RadiVet? Would it be worthwhile tracking one down? Are they any good?

Thanks

Cobaltblue 27th Jul 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Airmec RadiVet 211 Thoughts and Opinions?

You could ask Jon (Duke_Nukem)

He has one that can be seen here

http://www.thevalvepage.com/testeq/a...et/radivet.htm

More often seen is the TV version

Cheers

Mike T

AC/HL 28th Jul 2020 1:43 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I have one, although I've never done anything with it. A one stop valve based workshop!

OldTechFan96 28th Jul 2020 8:34 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive service manual. It does sound like an excellent piece of kit.

It's a shame that there is not much discussion about it online. Does anybody know of any contemporary reviews?

P.S. Does anybody know where I could find more issues of the British magazine 'Service Engineer'? Or recommend a British magazine aimed at service engineers? I'm trying to find out about what test equipment was available to the trade in the 1950s - 1960s and looking through copies of Practical Wireless is not cutting it.

Ed_Dinning 28th Jul 2020 8:38 pm

Hi, I have one here that I have used in the past and I believe could also be used to check/ set the bias on tape recorders (according to my manual). I also have the Televet which is a similar comprehensive test unit for TV's.

Ed

kevinaston1 28th Jul 2020 8:59 pm

Copies of "Service Engineer" are available on the American website Worldradiohistory.com

OldTechFan96 28th Jul 2020 10:25 pm

I've been through them all. Did it only run from 1960-1961? Shame there is not more. 'Electronic Engineering' looks to be a step up from 'Service Engineer' but the adverts don't feature the gear I'm looking for.

Duke_Nukem 29th Jul 2020 7:39 am

Wireless World's of the 50's/60's usually have plenty of test equipment adds. Also Trader magazine.

I wonder what happened to my RadiVet ?

Regards,
Jon

HamishBoxer 29th Jul 2020 8:48 am

I have both the Radiovet and the Televet.

OldTechFan96 29th Jul 2020 10:20 am

It's good to know that there is a few of these still knocking about.

Has anybody used them for servicing work? Do/did they live your expectations?

Unfortunately I can't find an archive of The Wireless & Electrical Trader anywhere.

ajs37 29th Jul 2020 10:23 am

I have one - but I haven't really used it! I would also like to hear any experiences of using it
Cheers
Andy

dragonser 29th Jul 2020 2:53 pm

Hi, I have a televet, but need to change some of the caps, ( probably ) as it hasn't been powered up in ages. Wasn't it shown on an early television magazine ?

linescan87 29th Jul 2020 4:09 pm

I too have a TeleVet, also on need of TLC. A well made bit of gear.