UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Akai VHS VCRs - want to hear your opinions on them (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=179222)

Ellectronics 21st Apr 2021 9:07 pm

Akai VHS VCRs - want to hear your opinions on them

I recently came across a akai gx240 vcr & found its ability to auto track very impressive. The tape I was ripping made higher spec machines produce audio white noise & picture loose track in places. The video was a live music event recorded in 1996. I've discovered the best thing to do with old tapes is to match them to the same kind of machine they were made in, so it's no big surprise this 2 head akai from the 90s has done me so well, despite being mono.
I was further impressed with the quick servo feature, which makes any transport control almost instant in operation.
It doesn't seem there's much written online in terms of reviews etc of these akai machines & I think they must be a hidden gem amongst a long list of manufacturers.
So what do you guys think about the akai VCRs? I would be interested to hear of your opinions, positive or negative. (I am considering getting a higher spec 4 head akai so your feedback may be very important in my decision making)

Maarten 21st Apr 2021 9:52 pm

Re: Akai VHS VCRs - want to hear your opinions on them

Impressive is a good description for genuine Akai VCRs. I agree with your hidden gem evaluation. I always liked to sell them repaired/refurbished.

Some had design faults, but Akai always corrected them and made kits available. The general design and construction quality was above average, though I wouldn't say top of the line mostly. Some of the design quirks and features (they were the first to introduce on screen display) were very well thought through.

The switching or combined linear and switching power supplies gave many a technician a headache and required low ESR electrolytics in some cases (this wasn't a well known capacitor property at the time, it caused problems in Panasonic, Sony and Grundig machines as well). However, once repaired properly they were quite indestructible, like the rest of the machine.

I've never really liked one thing about the newer machines, though, and that is... The quick servo feature. Akai was one of the first manufacturers to leave the tape threaded around the video head all the time. On the other hand, it never gave me any problems either (maybe because Akai used their glass-ferrite expertise to make the video heads almost impossible to wear out?). I just don't like the idea.

ben 21st Apr 2021 11:22 pm

I have one of the first ever VCRs with OSD and LP speed, the Akai VS-6 I think. Built like a tank.

I also have a later (circa 1990) VS-22 (23?) a 2 head mono unit, half load design as mentioned above. Rebadged 'Track' - no idea where that was sold, some store brand? I think the PSU gave me trouble on that one, caps and rectifier or regulator maybe? but otherwise very reliable and very sharp picture. No experience of the more upmarket models.

dj_fivos_sak 22nd Apr 2021 4:05 am

I have an old top loader VS-5. It has an odd fault where the capstan won't lock into the right speed with a ton of wow & flutter, and another fault where there's no picture in record. The RIFA capacitor in the mains supply recently gave me trouble. It went bang with lots of white smoke. That's common with these capacitors however. A unique "feature" with this model is that it displays "BREAKDOWN" on the VFD along with several beeps coming from a buzzer whenever there's a tape loading fault.

jayceebee 22nd Apr 2021 10:07 am

I came across two models in large numbers, the VS-F30 and VS-F600 rebadged as the Baird VC-142L and VC-143H. They used the same deck and suffered from mistiming of the front load rack and gear. Akai released a mod which consisted of a metal bush to stop the rack from flexing solving the issue.

Both machines had better than average picture quality in my opinion and the HiFi audio on the VC-143 would playback the worst of tapes that other makes just gave up on.

Sadly both machines suffered from poor electrolytics in the PSU, on the VC-142 particularly it would overun the heaters of the VFD leading to it's early demise. I seem to recall a mod but it only put off the inevitable replacement.

They also fell foul of the Y2K bug and were withdrawn from rental, staff could buy them for a fiver. Still wish I had my VC-143H and it's "Beam me up Scottie" remote.

John.

AmplifyAudio 22nd Apr 2021 2:29 pm

Somebody gave me a faulty Akai VCR many years ago. No idea what model it was, but IIRC it was a fairly high spec 4 head HiFi deck with jog shuttle and a fair few bells and assorted whistles. I ended up repairing it (can't remember the fault either) and using it for a good few years and I remember it being a decent machine despite having a strong BPC look...

Unfortunately I lent it to a mate who I didn't see for a couple of years. The next time I saw him, he told me it stopped working so he threw it out. :(

toshiba tony 22nd Apr 2021 3:55 pm

I always liked Akai, right back as far as the VS2. The first front loaders had flimsy mechs but they were repairable. Good lookers, the clock displays let them down, a modkit came out that had mixed results but as most Akai's had on screen programming this didn't matter. I'd no bother selling them, made good money on them too.

Welsh Anorak 22nd Apr 2021 4:06 pm

The old VS-1 was a real battleship among battleships! Looked like nothing else.
Then the one with OSD that looked a bit like a Space Invaders screen, especially on the odd occasion it failed. Advanced for its time. Did they rebadge a 3V23, or am I mistaken on that? They certainly badged the older JVC mechanicals.
The ones I met most were the VS-22 with the capacitor failure that Maarten mentions. It used a very complicated and curious power supply that combined a switching regulator with a mains transformer. Akai supplied a small circuit board and a bunch of capacitors which would work, but was tedious to fit. Then the next machines over-ran their displays, so you fitted another mod kit with unusual (for the time) 120uF, high temperature, low-ESR capacitors. This brought the voltage down, but of course the customer had used it until the display went out so now it was virtually invisible. One modification kit, one new VFD display and one disgruntled customer!
Pity about these problems as I can't recall many mechanical faults.

Maarten 22nd Apr 2021 7:08 pm

Some other VS-xx double digit model numbers also used various curious power supplies.

electronicskip 22nd Apr 2021 7:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak (Post 1366973)
Then the one with OSD that looked a bit like a Space Invaders screen, especially on the odd occasion it failed. Advanced for its time. Did they rebadge a 3V23, or am I mistaken on that? They certainly badged the older JVC mechanicals.
The ones I met most were the VS-22 with the capacitor failure that Maarten mentions. It used a very complicated and curious power supply that combined a switching regulator with a mains transformer. Akai supplied a small circuit board and a bunch of capacitors which would work, but was tedious to fit. Then the next machines over-ran their displays, so you fitted another mod kit with unusual (for the time) 120uF, high temperature, low-ESR capacitors. This brought the voltage down, but of course the customer had used it until the display went out so now it was virtually invisible. One modification kit, one new VFD display and one disgruntled customer!

I think the 3V23 was rebadged as the Akai VS10 , along with a rebadged version for ITT as well.

stuie319 22nd Apr 2021 10:54 pm

Hi,

We sold and rented the VS-Fxx range in vast numbers.
From memory, VS-F10 basic spec, 15 was long play, 33 was the text programmable version and 967 was the nicam machine.

Again from memory, there were three modifications that did a decent job of ending the reliability issue. The pressure roller was changed from a thrust type to a bearing based one, there was the little plastic insert that went under the carriage slider to stop the mech jumping timing, and a rejig of the DC-DC convertor that drove the FL display. The latter was an easy mod in the simple machines, but more of a faff in, for example the hifi one, since all the stacked pcbs would need to come out. Sloppy engineers would cut the plastics out from below the cabinet as a short cut (I hated it when I saw that)

Back to the main point, picture quality. Absolutely excellent. I often remarked upon it at the time, but it really was unbeatable. I'd argue that it was better than the Panasonic range of the same period, of which we also shifted loads. NV-J30,35, F-65 etc

They were really very good indeed

Stu

nickdoofah 22nd Apr 2021 11:21 pm

I remember the Baird HiFi machine, mine would play HiFi tapes that were borderline & that my JVC HE-D910EK refused to track properly! The VFD on mine was failing even in the early 90's - I ended up keeping it just to copy to the other machine worn out HiFi recordings with the inevitable loss of picture quality but restored stereo sound! Me & my girlfriend at the time bought a new single speed mono machine with a peculiar 'Sideways' remote which was a pain to get used to holding, that was in 1989 Despite the odd remote, picture quality was very good as was the auto tracking feature!........Funny the things we remember in the audio/video world we lived in![

dj_fivos_sak 23rd Apr 2021 6:33 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicskip (Post 1367034)
Quote:

I think the 3V23 was rebadged as the Akai VS10 , along with a rebadged version for ITT as well.

I have a VS-10 too! It's indeed a rebadged 3V23, or more precisely, a rebadged JVC HR-7700. God that thing weighs an absolute ton and it's full of boards!

John123 23rd Apr 2021 10:45 pm

4 Attachment(s)
Yes one of my favourite Akai machines was the VS-A77EK, which had an on-board Dolby Surround decoder (with amplifier)! This must've been a good couple of years before Dolby Pro Logic decoders became pretty much commonplace in larger screen tellies. Had a learning remote too!

Interestingly, there was a Salora OEM (SV9800) that naturally had a few cosmetic differences, and an addition of a 'VCR control' socket to allow basic tape functions to be controlled via the TV's remote. Though it kinda defeats the purpose of having a leaning remote! I'm not sure if Salora's earlier Mitsubishi OEM machines also carried the feature, but I digress..

Back to Akai; Later on down the line there was the unusual VS-G815 with its display doubling-up as the tape slot. Can't say I've ever seen that done before!

(pics courtesy of the interwebs)

Ellectronics 23rd Apr 2021 11:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maarten (Post 1366784)
Impressive is a good description for genuine Akai VCRs. I agree with your hidden gem evaluation. I always liked to sell them repaired/refurbished.

Some had design faults, but Akai always corrected them and made kits available. The general design and construction quality was above average, though I wouldn't say top of the line mostly. Some of the design quirks and features (they were the first to introduce on screen display) were very well thought through.

The switching or combined linear and switching power supplies gave many a technician a headache and required low ESR electrolytics in some cases (this wasn't a well known capacitor property at the time, it caused problems in Panasonic, Sony and Grundig machines as well). However, once repaired properly they were quite indestructible, like the rest of the machine.

I've never really liked one thing about the newer machines, though, and that is... The quick servo feature. Akai was one of the first manufacturers to leave the tape threaded around the video head all the time. On the other hand, it never gave me any problems either (maybe because Akai used their glass-ferrite expertise to make the video heads almost impossible to wear out?). I just don't like the idea.

Thank you very much for your feedback and insight. I’ve just been working on Panasonic Toshiba and Funai combis today and noticed they all leave the tape around the head.. must have become a time-saving/money-saving exercise..
Still I must say I’ve never use the deck that response as quickly as they sack I and handles tracking auto correction as well.
Interestingly as I’ve played this type several times in the last fortnight, some of the machines have been testing especially the Panasonic seem to be quite good at handling this tape (EZ48 vcr/dvd) I have grabbed myself a nice Akai now and awaiting delivery. Looks like a beauty of a machine with the LCD display in the flap! If the quality is right it’s going to be a keeper.. can’t believe I’m so late to The top quality VHS vcr train! The last time I paid for a video recorder it was 1999 and the model was Matsui VP9606 (from memory :D) back then I was working at Dixons in Guildford, so naturally I had to put my money to good use!
Thanks again
Daniel

Ellectronics 23rd Apr 2021 11:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben (Post 1366803)
I have one of the first ever VCRs with OSD and LP speed, the Akai VS-6 I think. Built like a tank.

I also have a later (circa 1990) VS-22 (23?) a 2 head mono unit, half load design as mentioned above. Rebadged 'Track' - no idea where that was sold, some store brand? I think the PSU gave me trouble on that one, caps and rectifier or regulator maybe? but otherwise very reliable and very sharp picture. No experience of the more upmarket models.

Thank you for sharing. Neither have I ever heard of track ???
Glad to hear more positive feedback though & totally amazed at the absolute lack of reviews write-ups et cetera of akai vcrs online. Was there ever a trade magazine for VCRs?

Ellectronics 23rd Apr 2021 11:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak (Post 1366817)
I have an old top loader VS-5. It has an odd fault where the capstan won't lock into the right speed with a ton of wow & flutter, and another fault where there's no picture in record. The RIFA capacitor in the mains supply recently gave me trouble. It went bang with lots of white smoke. That's common with these capacitors however. A unique "feature" with this model is that it displays "BREAKDOWN" on the VFD along with several beeps coming from a buzzer whenever there's a tape loading fault.

Thanks for your feedback. My question is really more about the later models where perhaps some of these issues had been ironed out. What did you move onto using after these?

Ellectronics 23rd Apr 2021 11:54 pm

Quote:

Great to hear your positives and negative‘s thank you. Really starting to sound like they had a succession of issues with power supplies.. I suppose this wasn’t a part of the machine that was made by Akai.. especially UK models which relied on UK friendly power supplies? Funnily enough I just googled your favourite model and all I’m getting on buses and other large vehicles!
Thanks for sharing

Ellectronics 23rd Apr 2021 11:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmplifyAudio (Post 1366943)
Somebody gave me a faulty Akai VCR many years ago. No idea what model it was, but IIRC it was a fairly high spec 4 head HiFi deck with jog shuttle and a fair few bells and assorted whistles. I ended up repairing it (can't remember the fault either) and using it for a good few years and I remember it being a decent machine despite having a strong BPC look...

Unfortunately I lent it to a mate who I didn't see for a couple of years. The next time I saw him, he told me it stopped working so he threw it out. :(

It’s always a shame when these high-end decks die.. shame you never got the chance to fix. I’ve just spent £70 on a nice one although the seller is a house clearance guy.. looks lush though can’t wait to use it! Something about those extra controls and knowing that it’s going to be top-notch if it’s working okay. I guess I need to look on this forum for a guide to servicing VHS machines. I do know some basics but would be useful to know some more specifics. Thanks for sharing

Ellectronics 23rd Apr 2021 11:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshiba tony (Post 1366965)
I always liked Akai, right back as far as the VS2. The first front loaders had flimsy mechs but they were repairable. Good lookers, the clock displays let them down, a modkit came out that had mixed results but as most Akai's had on screen programming this didn't matter. I'd no bother selling them, made good money on them too.

Thank you for your useful and positive feedback. The VS2 was that an early model? I’m struggling to find information on these old machines online. No one love them enough to make a website dedicated to them! I wonder what happened to Akai.. did they go and sell their brand? Not many left making VCRs now but I’ve just picked up and sold at Toshiba DVR 20. Didn’t cope with my own type that well to be honest but otherwise a simple and reliable machine.
Thanks for your feedback

Ellectronics 24th Apr 2021 12:03 am

Quote:

Yet more power supply issues! To be fair I can remember I Can remember plenty of other VCRs with display issues when I was a teen. Would you agree this was a common problem across-the-board? (Early LCD display technology) other than that sounds like they were well-made and built to last. What’s your model of choice now?
Thanks for your feedback
Daniel

Ellectronics 24th Apr 2021 12:07 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuie319 (Post 1367085)
Hi,

We sold and rented the VS-Fxx range in vast numbers.
From memory, VS-F10 basic spec, 15 was long play, 33 was the text programmable version and 967 was the nicam machine.

Again from memory, there were three modifications that did a decent job of ending the reliability issue. The pressure roller was changed from a thrust type to a bearing based one, there was the little plastic insert that went under the carriage slider to stop the mech jumping timing, and a rejig of the DC-DC convertor that drove the FL display. The latter was an easy mod in the simple machines, but more of a faff in, for example the hifi one, since all the stacked pcbs would need to come out. Sloppy engineers would cut the plastics out from below the cabinet as a short cut (I hated it when I saw that)

Back to the main point, picture quality. Absolutely excellent. I often remarked upon it at the time, but it really was unbeatable. I'd argue that it was better than the Panasonic range of the same period, of which we also shifted loads. NV-J30,35, F-65 etc

They were really very good indeed

Stu

Thanks Stu interesting to hear about these exact issues were.. you guys have got incredible memories! Going right back to the rental days to! To be honest I wasn’t really expecting any replies to this and I do appreciate it thank you.
I wonder how accurate were connected to other big Japanese manufacturers.. Why are they making their own heads et cetera or using other brands?
Overall good to know you highly approve of the quality. Sounds like they’ve been majorly overlooked in the consumer space.
Thanks again for sharing

Ellectronics 24th Apr 2021 12:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdoofah (Post 1367089)
I remember the Baird HiFi machine, mine would play HiFi tapes that were borderline & that my JVC HE-D910EK refused to track properly! The VFD on mine was failing even in the early 90's - I ended up keeping it just to copy to the other machine worn out HiFi recordings with the inevitable loss of picture quality but restored stereo sound! Me & my girlfriend at the time bought a new single speed mono machine with a peculiar 'Sideways' remote which was a pain to get used to holding, that was in 1989 Despite the odd remote, picture quality was very good as was the auto tracking feature!........Funny the things we remember in the audio/video world we lived in![

That’s interesting to hear Nick and agreed it’s cool that you guys remember these details. I was shocked by this Akai vs g240 as it’s a well used machine and much lower and spec compare to the others I’ve used & Get it handled that old tape so well. Sometimes it’s not just what’s written on paper it’s the actual real world results that count. One of the big drawbacks of buying online is that we just can’t appreciate the small differences between products anymore. I’m just glad that I’ve been able to still get good machines now before they disappear completely

What’s your machine of choice these days? Or have you gone completely digital?

Thanks for sharing

Ellectronics 24th Apr 2021 12:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by John123 (Post 1367336)
Yes one of my favourite Akai machines was the VS-A77EK, which had an on-board Dolby Surround decoder (with amplifier)! This must've been a good couple of years before Dolby Pro Logic decoders became pretty much commonplace in larger screen tellies. Had a learning remote too!

Interestingly, there was a Salora OEM (SV9800) that naturally had a few cosmetic differences, and an addition of a 'VCR control' socket to allow basic tape functions to be controlled via the TV's remote. Though it kinda defeats the purpose of having a leaning remote! I'm not sure if Salora's earlier Mitsubishi OEM machines also carried the feature, but I digress..

Back to Akai; Later on down the line there was the unusual VS-G815 with its display doubling-up as the tape slot. Can't say I've ever seen that done before!

(pics courtesy of the interwebs)

Wow that A77 looks like a serious piece of kit - remind me of those really nice front loading Sony Betamax machines that had the hi-fi stereo (was it the C-9?)

The G815 looks like a very good later model and I’m a bit excited to say I’ve just bought one and waiting for it to arrive! Hoping to find a good guide to servicing/basic maintenance on this site. Thanks for sharing your experience
Dan

Niechcial,Steve 24th Apr 2021 6:29 pm

I have a VS-G715. It still gives excellent results on SP and LP. Like all modernish VCRs though, you can't play 405 line tapes on it because of the drop out compensation system

TIMTAPE 24th Apr 2021 8:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellectronics (Post 1366765)
... I've discovered the best thing to do with old tapes is to match them to the same kind of machine they were made in, so it's no big surprise this 2 head akai from the 90s has done me so well, despite being mono...

I'm not sure this is generally true. VHS was a world standard and the aim was that a VHS tape could generally be played on any brand or model. In the early days of VTR's and VCR's this was much harder to achieve as production tolerances werent as tight as they would become. In the early days picture tracking was manually adjusted but auto tracking came along later.

Obviously you couldnt play a Long Play tape on a SP only deck, or a stereo tape on a mono deck and expect to hear stereo.

The usual reason a tape wont play well on a well maintained deck is because either it was recorded on a deck that had gone out of spec, or the playback deck is out of spec. Akai would have aligned their decks in the factory to the same specs as the other manufacturers, which were the VHS standards set down by JVC.

When a tape wont play well even on a perfectly aligned deck, we temporarily "misalign" the deck to the alignment of that tape. Sometimes the result is excellent, other times it's only partially successful. It depends on how far the recording deviated from the standard. But just blindly playing a misaligned tape on multiple decks hoping for the best result is expensive and time wasting. It's a little like listening to 10 different radios hoping that one of the radios will be tuned to our favourite station. So much quicker to just tune the one radio to the wanted station.

John123 24th Apr 2021 9:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellectronics (Post 1367356)
Wow that A77 looks like a serious piece of kit - remind me of those really nice front loading Sony Betamax machines that had the hi-fi stereo (was it the C-9?)

The G815 looks like a very good later model and I’m a bit excited to say I’ve just bought one and waiting for it to arrive! Hoping to find a good guide to servicing/basic maintenance on this site. Thanks for sharing your experience
Dan

Yes the VS-A77 had quite an impressive feature-count for its day. I got one second-hand in around 1999/ 2000 though unfortunately I didn't keep it long as the Hi-Fi heads were quite worn causing drop-outs. Whoever had it before must've got their money's worth!

Enjoy your G815. I hope it brings you years of trouble-free operation..but if not, we'll try our best to help!

Maarten 24th Apr 2021 11:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellectronics (Post 1367350)
Quote:

Great to hear your positives and negative‘s thank you. Really starting to sound like they had a succession of issues with power supplies.. I suppose this wasn’t a part of the machine that was made by Akai.. especially UK models which relied on UK friendly power supplies?

The power supplies were definitely designed by Akai themselves. Bought in types would have been standard circuits, but they used creative and cutting edge designs, sometimes unlike any other brand, sometimes more on the conventional side but still slightly different.