UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Television in the Home (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176995)

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 11:17 am

Television in the Home

2 Attachment(s)
A picture of a set in domestic surroundings elsewhere has spurred me to start this thread, where people can show off pictures of their own vintage sets in room settings, whether working or not, along with perhaps the occasional advertising photo on the theme of 'television in the home'.

I'll start the ball rolling with a pre-war Marconi 702, no longer in my possession, and the cover from a book.

Steve

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 1:58 pm

Re: Television in the Home

3 Attachment(s)
I can't offer much other than a couple featuring the domestic surroundings of others. The second photo I took when visiting FDR's house.

Peter

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 2:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Peter. Nice pic of Jeffrey.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt? You keep good company!

Continuing the pre-war theme, here's a nice piece I had custody of not so long ago.

Steve

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 2:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1345714)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt? You keep good company!
Steve

Despite being a fan I hadn't received a personal invitation. :(

Peter

Heatercathodeshort 24th Feb 2021 2:34 pm

2 Attachment(s)
A couple from my home. The 15" Ekco T196 has been in constant use for around 5 years without any faults. Like all Ekco models the preset controls including the line and frame hold controls have not needed attention. I think I have used it more than the original owner as it appeared to have had very little use since new.

The Ferranti 17T4 designed by [Hubert Wood] again has been used mainly during the summer months and has given no problems what so ever.

Regards, John.

PS Peter, Please dump them plarstick flarze...:D

stacman 24th Feb 2021 3:06 pm

John, What is the small portable in the second picture, on the floor in front of the long curtains?
Regards, Alan.

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 3:13 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Nice pics John. It must be difficult to pick when you have possibly hundreds of sets to choose from.

Here's a well-known showbiz family from 1938 or 9. Name the set.

Steve

stacman 24th Feb 2021 3:16 pm

Arthur Askey....?
Or from the ‘Fast Show’, Chester Drawers.....

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 3:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 1345730)
PS Peter, Please dump them plarstick flarze...:D

Spoilsport! >((

Peter ;)

p.s. John'll never be able to name that set Steve.

Heatercathodeshort 24th Feb 2021 4:00 pm

1 Attachment(s)
7" Ekco 1938.TS901? Benny Hill with his 1951 Ekco T161. J.

Heatercathodeshort 24th Feb 2021 4:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacman (Post 1345745)
John, What is the small portable in the second picture, on the floor in front of the long curtains?
Regards, Alan.

Hello Alan,
It's a Philips 11TG190AT the original Tvette from 1966. I have three of them and got them all working during the imprisonment. They give a startling picture. J.

Ian - G4JQT 24th Feb 2021 5:08 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Completely rebuilt and written up in the BVWS bulletin Autumn/Winter 2007.

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 5:11 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another, not-so-tranquil, home scene from around 1953. The gent with a pipe is about to throw a brick at the screen, which lies ready by the side of his armchair - so he must have already been expecting the trouble with interference. He also must have a lot of dough... CRTs were not cheap!

Steve

Radio Wrangler 24th Feb 2021 5:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_scott (Post 1345753)
p.s. John'll never be able to name that set Steve.

That's a kind quip. I was expecting someone to jump in and suggest he'd serviced it!

David

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 5:30 pm

Maybe there should be another thread devoted to the sets John has not serviced. But are there any?

Steve

Boulevardier 24th Feb 2021 5:30 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1345828)
Here's another, not-so-tranquil, home scene from around 1953. The gent with a pipe is about to throw a brick at the screen, which lies ready by the side of his armchair - so he must have already been expecting the trouble with interference. He also must have a lot of dough... CRTs were not cheap!

Steve

Judging by the just-visible pair of legs at the right of the picture, his wife's already been on the receiving end of that brick. So the future prospects of the CRT don't look too bright...

Mike

Heatercathodeshort 24th Feb 2021 5:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1345841)
Maybe there should be another thread devoted to the sets John has not serviced. But are there any?

Steve

Very many Steve but I seem to remember dropping the aerial lead down the chimney of Arthur Askey's all electric flat when I installed it in 1938...J.

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 5:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1345828)
He also must have a lot of dough... CRTs were not cheap!

Steve

Ah, but his action results in the destruction of the offending motor car outside his house that has no interference suppression.

Peter :)

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 5:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 1345848)
I seem to remember dropping the aerial lead down the chimney of Arthur Askey's all electric flat when I installed it in 1938...J.

An aerial rigger reincarnated as a service engineer.

Peter ;)

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 5:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_scott (Post 1345849)
Ah, but his action results in the destruction of the offending motor car outside his house that has no interference suppression.
Peter :)

So with the wife having evidently copped it too - this is a case of killing not two, but three birds with the same stone. ;D

Steve