UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Test Card F (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166935)

Davewantsone 19th May 2020 9:17 am

Test Card F

I hope these questions have not been asked before. I hope someone can answer them.
!, Why was the green body of the clown boosted to fluorescent green?
2, What is the bump half way up the girls arm?
3, On the blackboard the "X" is in the centre of the photo yet the girl seems to have just drawn an "X" in the centre of the game. Was this removed? The position of the hand indicates it has been drawn!

M0FYA Andy 19th May 2020 9:20 am

Re: Test Card F

It would be useful if you included a picture of the Test Card to remind us what you are talking about!

Andy

Brigham 19th May 2020 9:57 am

I suspect that the picture was staged.
I don't think Carole drew anything at all. I think it was set up in advance.

Nuvistor 19th May 2020 9:59 am

Lots of information on test card F.
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/test-card-f/

ms660 19th May 2020 10:44 am

That card saved dragging out a colour or cross hatch generator, the X etc in the middle was just the job for static convergence/blue lateral adjustments.

Vivid colours were chosen as an aid to adjusting for correct saturation.

Like many, must have spent countless hours staring at that test card8-o

Lawrence.

Ted Kendall 19th May 2020 11:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davewantsone (Post 1249180)
On the blackboard the "X" is in the centre of the photo yet the girl seems to have just drawn an "X" in the centre of the game. Was this removed? The position of the hand indicates it has been drawn!

Given that X marks the centre of the screen, you don't want a hand obscuring it.

Dave Moll 19th May 2020 12:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Kendall (Post 1249232)
Given that X marks the centre of the screen...

... or at least a point near the centre.

In a revised version, named "Test Card J" (and its widescreen equivalent, "Test Card W"), the picture of Carole Hersee was rescanned with the cross centred. See the bottom of this page.

Welsh Anorak 19th May 2020 12:41 pm

I always preferred test card F to the electronic, though more technically accurate, cards. I also found that you could get easily misled with a crosshatch generator, and TCF used to make you concentrate on the centre of the screen which is where most people focus. It would take seconds to set up the static convergence and focus, even if the X wasn't quite at the centre (well, most TVs of the time wouldn't get it absolutely central anyway), and you could easily get the flesh tones accurate to the eye, if not to a vectorscope. Plus you got jaunty music!
The odd green of the clown is open to debate. I thought it was to assist in setting up CDA decoders and just stayed with us. Not sure why 'proper' green wasn't used.
But as to Carole's 'bump', I have no idea.

kalee20 19th May 2020 12:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davewantsone (Post 1249180)
3, On the blackboard the "X" is in the centre of the photo yet the girl seems to have just drawn an "X" in the centre of the game. Was this removed? The position of the hand indicates it has been drawn!

It is good strategy to grab the centre square in the noughts and crosses grid, if that's what you mean, and neither Carole nor Bubbles have done that. But - they're only young, let's forgive them!

The photo, as has been pointed out, is positioned so that the 'X' is in the centre of the screen.

ms660 19th May 2020 1:05 pm

The X is not at dead centre, it's to the right and below.

Lawrence.

Andrew2 19th May 2020 1:14 pm

Blimey, is it National Pedantry Day? The cross is roughly central and is near enough to be used for static convergence, surely????
As for the bump in Carole's arm, what bump?

ms660 19th May 2020 1:22 pm

If the X was at the centre of the screen the picture would be off centre.

The only "bump" I can see is something protruding from the top of the girls forearm.

Lawrence.

Andrew2 19th May 2020 2:27 pm

But we don't use the X to centre the picture, we use the edge arrows. I think we all know that the cross was not quite central, but it was fine for its intended use, which was static convergence.
Re the 'bump' - isn't it something behind her arm? It looks like a finger or thumb.

ms660 19th May 2020 2:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew2 (Post 1249303)
I think we all know that the cross was not quite central

And if not they do now;)

Centering the picture was easy enough, did almost everything with that card.

I've got a picture of an early one in one of my books.

Lawrence.

Brigham 20th May 2020 10:50 am

If X was at the centre of the screen, you would probably be an American!

Ted Kendall 20th May 2020 11:11 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 1249314)
did almost everything with that card.

And that, surely, is precisely what Hersee intended. Job done!

Davewantsone 20th May 2020 11:30 am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy (Post 1249183)
It would be useful if you included a picture of the Test Card to remind us what you are talking about!

Andy

This one has the "bump" removed and an extra "X" and an extra clown button!

ms660 20th May 2020 11:34 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brigham (Post 1249621)
If X was at the centre of the screen, you would probably be an American!

Or not;D

Lawrence.

ms660 20th May 2020 12:36 pm

The one I have a copy of is an early one that indicates the frequency of the frequency gratings and has the four line colour bars.

Lawrence.