UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ScrewFix PP9 batteries (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157576)

DonaldStott 26th Jun 2019 1:37 pm

ScrewFix PP9 batteries

Seems like a bargain to me - if you can find a branch that stocks them: -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-pp9...questid=293781

G6Tanuki 26th Jun 2019 1:49 pm

Re: ScrewFix PP9 batteries

They're listed as "Clearance" - which means I'd carefully check the use-by dates!

Still, at that price even if they only have a few Joules of electricity left inside, the cases can be opened-up and either restuffed with AA NiMH calls or a mains PSU fitted inside (I've got several old PP7s here which now each house a little 9V SMPS).

DonaldStott 26th Jun 2019 2:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6Tanuki (Post 1155507)
They're listed as "Clearance" - which means I'd carefully check the use-by dates!

Noted - this Thread should probably be Deleted as I may have been too keen.

Can't find any branch of ScrewFix that has any of this Clearance stock! :(

electronicskip 26th Jun 2019 2:59 pm

Same here, I tried Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury ones, all nil stock unfortunately.

FIXITNOW 26th Jun 2019 3:32 pm

these have been on special for a while I picked up 5 some time ago(16/08/2018) at £1.94 each not in stock but could have for next day collection

there was a post on here at the time

ajgriff 26th Jun 2019 5:20 pm

This is the link to last year's thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148617

At the time you could order them for delivery to any branch via click & collect. Don't think that's the case now. I suspect that the remaining few being sold for 49p will be some months past their date. They are zinc-carbon batteries.

Alan

chriswood1900 11th Jul 2019 3:36 pm

I have just been looking to get some PP9s for stock and use in my Hackers, Screwfix has them listed at 50p but I can’t find anywhere with stock. The best price I found locally was B&Q at £3.65, however this was a clearance price as they are no longer stocking them. They are part of Kingfisher the same group as Screwfix. Next best price was at the electrical wholesaler TLC at £3.96 in tens.

Hopefully stocks will remain at others such as Wilko, the electrical wholesalers will keep them for a while as they are listed as spares for backup lighting, although I have no idea what they fit!

emeritus 20th Jul 2019 10:17 pm

I don't use them myself, but noticed that my local Wilco had several on the shelves @ £4 a couple of days ago, as well as lantern batteries.

Electronpusher0 22nd Jul 2019 12:04 pm

My local B&Q is selling PP9s at £3.65 clearance. sell by date 09 2020

Peter

high_vacuum_house 22nd Jul 2019 12:17 pm

Our Wilco shop in Rugby has a few PP9 batteries left, Ever Ready Silver 02/2020 expiry date. £4.00 each.

Christopher Capener

ajgriff 22nd Jul 2019 12:19 pm

The B&Q ones (Diall) mentioned by Peter will probably end up being sold by Screwfix at an even lower price as the best before date approaches since B&Q and Screwfix are both part of the Kingfisher group of companies. It seems likely that this is how last year's Srewfix £1.94 offer came to pass.

I think one of the difficulties for the remaining retailers selling PP9s is that zinc carbon batteries have a short shelf life relative to alkaline equivalents and I don't think anyone makes alkaline PP9s now. Couple this with low demand and it probably won't be long before PP9s join the obsolete battery ranks.

Alan

FIXITNOW 22nd Jul 2019 12:59 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriff (Post 1162406)

I think one of the difficulties for the remaining retailers selling PP9s is that zinc carbon batteries have a short shelf life relative to alkaline equivalents and I don't think anyone makes alkaline PP9s now. Couple this with low demand and it probably won't be long before PP9s join the obsolete battery ranks.

Alan

I think you are right I have been keeping the old plastic cases and cleaning them out to fit a 6 AA holder inside as I can see it coming when we can no longer get them

chriswood1900 22nd Jul 2019 1:22 pm

Just a follow up to my post #7 mine were also dated 09-2020.
Looking at small selection of the PP9 bodies I have saved the moulding marks and printing all seem the same, perhaps they are all from the same Chinese factory because the branding now just seems to be a sticker.
I have been saving the plastic bodied PP9s to make holders for 6 AA batteries, it is pity someone has not come up with a design to make a proper PP9 sized and terminated unit with space for 6 AA, perhaps a project for those with a 3D printer!
Chris

G6Tanuki 22nd Jul 2019 6:12 pm

I think I'll pop into the local B&Q tomorrow to see if they've got any of these left. Could do with a couple to make up NiMH rechargeable-packs for my Roberts R24.

Mike. Watterson 23rd Jul 2019 9:07 pm

A 3D printed one might cost as much as one from B&Q.
I've made them from card and used cheap PP9 clips from ebay. Easier than B101 packs.
I also have some from B&Q and other sources with the base cut open. Sometimes I use a 4 way + 2 way AA holders back to back (double side foam tape) and sometimes 2 x 3 way. Stiff foam packing to stop parts rattling. The €6 in B&Q isn't too bad. I didn't buy ones from Halfords a few years ago as ALL their batteries were years past their use by date!
I maybe have more than 10 sets using PP9s. The least likely being a clock radio, no prizes guessing the brand. Some sets take two. Was that only Hacker and Roberts?

music-centre 23rd Jul 2019 9:48 pm

Philips did some 1960s sets with 2 PP9s - I have got a couple of L3G03T like that, they work well.
Steve.

DonaldStott 24th Jul 2019 12:06 pm

Don't want to hijack or deviate this Thread but can someone look at my Post #41 here: -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=157828&page=3

Many thanks.