UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Avatar resize. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134903)

Oldcodger 17th Mar 2017 3:22 pm

Apologies to mods, but I was slow in seeing this one( so , if you like ,could it be added to the closed thread.
Something that a lot of users fail to spot is a very not well known program that comes with ( AFAIK) every version of Windows ( and I assume, possibly wrongly) that most folks are using Windows .
PAINT.
As far as I remember it's still there on W10 ,unless it's version dependant.
Again- why go program hunting. Have a look on the CD/DVD that came with the digital camera/PVR/etc . One of the most useful programs I have on my PC is one I got from my son's first Digital Camera . Adobe Photoshop Elements.

paulsherwin 17th Mar 2017 3:30 pm

Re: Avatar resize.

It is not necessary to resize images either for attachment to posts or for use as avatars. The forum software will resize them for you automatically.

Oldcodger 17th Mar 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks, Paul, but other fora don't offer that and I notice that PAINT is sadly overlooked as old fashioned, as is a lot of the software offered on CD/DVD with a lot of stuff. Hence my post and suggestion that my post may be added to the closed one to point folks in that direction. No offence taken

paulsherwin 17th Mar 2017 4:56 pm

Almost all graphics programs will resize images, including MS Paint as you say. The main problem people seem to have is they don't know how to use any graphics software, or worse, don't understand the basic concepts involved.

I agree that Windows users might as well learn to do it with Paint rather than download and install something else, unless they're already familiar with another program.

Refugee 17th Mar 2017 7:00 pm

There may be some value in resizing photos before posting to the 800X600 the forum is set to so that you can see if they are sharp/clear enough when they are seen on line.

paulsherwin 17th Mar 2017 9:11 pm

Indeed.

Occasionally forum members want to upload detailed photos or scans where the automatic resizing makes them unreadable. You can stop the forum resizing images by exporting them as PDF documents, in which case no resizing will be done, though you will need to observe the forum limits on file sizes.

Paul Stenning 17th Mar 2017 11:50 pm

You can alternatively put them in a Zip file, again observing the size limits.

1100 man 18th Mar 2017 12:14 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsherwin (Post 928904)
Almost all graphics programs will resize images, including MS Paint as you say. The main problem people seem to have is they don't know how to use any graphics software, or worse, don't understand the basic concepts involved.

You could not have described my computing abilities better ;D I would not have the first idea where to start! As it was, I felt pretty chuffed the first time I managed to get pictures from the camera and attached to a post!! There have been several aspects about using this forum that have had me baffled until people have explained how to do it :dunce: Even then I don't understand half the replies!
Cheers Nick

paulsherwin 18th Mar 2017 1:32 am

You are not alone Nick.