UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Auto return too soon on turntable? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157914)

Christinemacca 9th Jul 2019 7:15 pm

Auto return too soon on turntable?

Hi folks. Could some please help me??

I've a Sanyo g2711 model, and all seems fine apart from when I'm playing a record, it stops about 15-20 seconds before the song is finished. I'm kinda clueless about things like this. I adjusted the anti skate incase this was the problem, but it didn't help.

Does anyone has any suggestions how to fix things without opening anything up?
Many thanks
Christine

'LIVEWIRE?' 9th Jul 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Auto return too soon on turntable?

At the very least the turntable will have to be removed. If, as many japanese decks, do, this has a Cam Gear and Trip Pawl, the likely cause will be dried grease.

Christinemacca 9th Jul 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I can manage as much as taking the turntable off, as I changed the belt. Much more than that I'm rubbish at this kind of thing. I suppose I can live with this if it's a difficult job. Thanks again.

'LIVEWIRE?' 9th Jul 2019 9:24 pm

It's not a difficult job. I'm not familiar with the Sanyo Turntable in particular, but the cam gear is usually clearly visible once the turntable is removed-it's usually a white plastic gear around 2" in diameter. The trip Pawl is two metal pieces which must be free to move. Maybe another member can explain in detail what is needed, but essentially the old grease should be cleaned off and new lubricant sparingly applied.

Station X 10th Jul 2019 9:31 am

This thread describes how the trip pawl works:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8936

Techman 10th Jul 2019 12:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christinemacca (Post 1159124)
I suppose I can live with this if it's a difficult job. Thanks again.

No, you can't just live with it.

When the chunk of metal on the platter spindle comes into hard contact with the trip as the stylus traverses the run out groove on the record, a considerable jolt is transferred to the stylus for a fraction of a second. This doesn't matter in the run out groove, but will matter if it keeps happening in the same place on the delicate playing grooves of an LP record. If you turn the volume right down and listen very carefully to the record deck, you'll probably be able to hear the clonk, clonk, clonk on every revolution of the record just before it auto-trips and lifts the arm off. If you look very closely, you may even be able to see the pickup head move or jump very slightly with each 'clonk'!

You risk spoiling your records (as well as spoiling your enjoyment of them), so it needs fixing. As said, it's an easy enough job.

Christinemacca 10th Jul 2019 8:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' (Post 1159150)
It's not a difficult job. I'm not familiar with the Sanyo Turntable in particular, but the cam gear is usually clearly visible once the turntable is removed-it's usually a white plastic gear around 2" in diameter. The trip Pawl is two metal pieces which must be free to move. Maybe another member can explain in detail what is needed, but essentially the old grease should be cleaned off and new lubricant sparingly applied.

Thanks very much

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1159235)
This thread describes how the trip pawl works:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8936

Thanks I appreciate this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techman (Post 1159281)
No, you can't just live with it.

When the chunk of metal on the platter spindle comes into hard contact with the trip as the stylus traverses the run out groove on the record, a considerable jolt is transferred to the stylus for a fraction of a second. This doesn't matter in the run out groove, but will matter if it keeps happening in the same place on the delicate playing grooves of an LP record. If you turn the volume right down and listen very carefully to the record deck, you'll probably be able to hear the clonk, clonk, clonk on every revolution of the record just before it auto-trips and lifts the arm off. If you look very closely, you may even be able to see the pickup head move or jump very slightly with each 'clonk'!

You risk spoiling your records (as well as spoiling your enjoyment of them), so it needs fixing. As said, it's an easy enough job.

Thank you. I appreciate your advice