UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Thread Titles (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141115)

ukcol 6th Nov 2017 12:30 am

Thread Titles

In the Modern Technology section Lawrence (ms660) started a thread entitled "Broadband Brickbats."

After the first post subsequent post usually repeat the title, in this case I would expect to see "Re: Broadband Brickbats." However at the start of post 2 to 8 inclusive the posts start with "Re: Broadband Saga." Post 9 starts (as expected) "Re: Broadband Brickbats." and later "Re: Broadband Saga." returns.

It doesn't matter too much of course I just thought "How odd, I wonder how that happened?"

BTW one learns a lot from this forum; I had to look up the meaning of "Brickbat." ;)

paulsherwin 6th Nov 2017 12:39 am

Re: Thread Titles

Sometimes a mod will edit a thread title after several posts have been made. The first post title will change to the new thread title but other preexisting posts will retain the old title. Subsequent posts will use the new title. We can go through all the old posts manually changing each title but we don't usually bother.

ms660 6th Nov 2017 9:26 am

"Brickbats" wasn't in the original title when I did the first post....It was changed to "Brickbats" from "Saga" by someone other than me.

Lawrence.

ukcol 6th Nov 2017 10:40 am

Thanks Paul.

Interesting Lawrence, I had assumed the other way round. Puts me in mind of another thread title "Never Assume Anything." :)

ms660 6th Nov 2017 11:14 am

I've no idea why the thread title was changed, brickbats is a new one on me.

Lawrence.

Boater Sam 6th Nov 2017 11:19 am

The phantom thread puller strikes. The world unravels about us.
That may explain why some of my posts seem never to appear, I thought it was censorship.

Nickthedentist 6th Nov 2017 11:25 am

What on earth is a brickbat anyway?

Nice alliteration though ;)

ukcol 6th Nov 2017 11:43 am

Collins Dictionary:

Brickbats are very critical or insulting remarks which are made in public about someone or something.

Nickthedentist 6th Nov 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks, Colin.

Paul Stenning 6th Nov 2017 5:38 pm

The edit log shows that the title was originally "Broadband Saga...." and was changed at 7:56 pm on 1st Nov 2017. The titles of all the posts were updated yesterday late evening, probably in response to this query.

Four posts were split off this morning to create the "Broadband Bouquets" thread.

ukcol 6th Nov 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks Paul.

nebogipfel 6th Nov 2017 9:51 pm

I'm not sure I understand. Why change the author's perfectly good title for something much more obscure?

Station X 6th Nov 2017 10:29 pm

In order to set up a single thread where members can whinge about Broadband Providers.

That's the direction such threads invariably take.

ms660 6th Nov 2017 11:10 pm

Just to be clear, I did a thread or some posts quite a while ago concerning the possible arrival of FTTP here at our home including me reporting the fact that some contractors to do with FTTP had visited our property, I'm fairly sure that someone who replied to one of those posts said in effect...let us know what develops or how things turn out....

So...before I started the "Broadband Saga...." thread I had tried to find those original postings so I could update them without having to open a new thread but didn't have much luck in finding them for whatever reason.

So there you have it.

Lawrence.

Herald1360 10th Nov 2017 9:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickthedentist (Post 988998)
What on earth is a brickbat anyway?

Nice alliteration though ;)

https://www.etymonline.com/word/brickbat