UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Andover "Wildhern" rally Sunday 28th April 2019. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156041)

G6Tanuki 26th Apr 2019 9:07 pm

Andover "Wildhern" rally Sunday 28th April 2019.

A reminder that ARAC are holding the spring "Wildhern" rally/radio-jumble this coming Sunday 28th April.

See http://www.arac.org.uk/ for details.

[Posted purely for information and enlightenment: I am not a member of ARAC and have no financial interests in this event]

G4YVM David 27th Apr 2019 6:12 am

Re: Andover "Wildhern" rally Sunday 28th April 2019.

Thanks for posting this reminder. Fingers crossed for good wx

MrBungle 27th Apr 2019 9:33 am

I shall be at this one. Fingers crossed indeed. It’s horrid today.

Never been to the Andover one before - any good generally?

G4YVM David 27th Apr 2019 10:06 am

Generally, yes, very good. The bacon butties and cakes are excellent.

Indoors there's usually an interesting collection of stuff including vintage test gear - I say usually, but it can vary.

Out doors there can be between quite a few tables and a lot of tables! The stuff they sell varies from sale to sale, sometimes there is, to be frank, table after table of crap. BUT...at many sales there are tables heaving with VERY interesting gear indeed. Surprisingly few amateur radios usually (that word again) and some years some real vintage treasure. Quite a lot of green kit (ex mil), some bargains, some 'rare collectors items so prepare to laugh at prices' stuff. I think at most every sale I have seen over the years there has been at least one table of real vintage stuff and one year we had a 1920s crystal radio receiver. it was in excellent nick. it's not unusual.

I think most visitors regard wildhern boot sale as one worth visiting again and again.

See you there I hope.

MrBungle 27th Apr 2019 1:27 pm

Sounds excellent. And good to hear there’s bacon available. There has been a shortage of that in the last few I went to.

I’m mostly after test gear, vintage parts and things for forward engineering so sounds perfect.

Sinewave 27th Apr 2019 10:03 pm

Is this an indoor event? It's rather windy. I may make an attendance.

MrBungle 27th Apr 2019 10:18 pm

Think it’s both as they’re advertising tables inside and outside.

Flyer: http://www.arac.org.uk/docs/ARAC_Boot_Sale_2019.pdf

whiskas 27th Apr 2019 10:44 pm

My brother reports that it is a worthwhile rally (he lives in Bristol), a bit far for me though since I moved to Cheshire..

MrBungle 28th Apr 2019 12:04 pm

Well I went and that was actually quite good. Walked away with a nice tek scope and an HP switch box I wanted for the feet only. Haven't powered the scope up yet. Getting a sandwich first. The last two I bought exploded so I'm expecting the same. :-/

Sinewave 28th Apr 2019 2:02 pm

I came away with four Avo's and a nice mid 30's Taylor signal generator.

I did think actually, I've probably walked past someone from the forum but wouldn't know who they are. Maybe at the next rally we should arrange to meet those from here attending over a cup of tea/coffee.

MrBungle 28th Apr 2019 2:42 pm

That's a pretty good haul that is.

Sounds like an excellent idea. Dunstable is the next one for me.

Sinewave 28th Apr 2019 4:46 pm

Yep, I'll be at Dunstable too!

m0cemdave 28th Apr 2019 11:10 pm

Badges with forum names would be a good idea. I normally wear a green VMARS badge with name and callsign.
I have been attending Dunstable for decades and have had a table for the last 3 years, must keep on de-cluttering !

Sinewave 29th Apr 2019 7:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0cemdave (Post 1140758)
Badges with forum names would be a good idea. I normally wear a green VMARS badge with name and callsign.
I have been attending Dunstable for decades and have had a table for the last 3 years, must keep on de-cluttering !

I'm trying to work on something on the pc with the forum name and my forum name on it. I can't get the scaling correct though for it to fit on a lanyard credit card size thingy bob.

MrBungle 29th Apr 2019 8:26 pm

Another effective option is the one I used many years ago after meeting up with a bunch of people from an IRC channel. This ended up with a congregation of about 15 people standing outside the now closed Oriental City in Edgware with traffic cones on their heads. Worked but attracted the attention of the police after a few minutes which took some explaining ;D