UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Radio's and TV's at Chalkwell Auctions this week (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175382)

bc312 17th Jan 2021 1:22 pm

Radio's and TV's at Chalkwell Auctions this week

https://auctions.chalkwellauctions.c...ated-equipment

Radio Wrangler 17th Jan 2021 2:34 pm

Re: Radio's and TV's at Chalkwell Auctions this week

Wow! An immense range of stuff and parts.

an Atalanta and an Emor Globe!

David

bc312 19th Jan 2021 1:34 pm

Just an observation, but boxes of what looked like various non descript valves sold for eye watering prices - maybe there was some buried treasure among them. 8-o
Seems someone unloaded their wallet.

Valvepower 19th Jan 2021 3:21 pm

Hello,

Yeah, the prices for the mixed boxes were high – I thought if they get a tenner a box they’ll be doing well. However, saying that I did bag the PYE Super Black Box (A wooden cased PYE Collaro RC.457 record Player) for £50, which I’ll be £63.20 after VAT and buyers premium though!

I had to sit on my hands – so to speak – with the up and coming BVWS Mike 'The Hammer' Barker auction ;)

Oh, well jut got to get it past SWMBO…. Not the weather to be camping out on the front lawn with a PYE Black box :-D

Regards
Terry

GrimJosef 19th Jan 2021 4:32 pm

The fact that 'traditional' auctions now very often go online means that the old days of getting a bargain for next to nothing are pretty much over. The world can see the lots and can bid on them too. I am surprised that bidders often seem to rely on the auctioneers to arrange shipping, given that the latter are not always expert when it comes to packaging and transporting vintage electronics. Even more surprising is that full market prices can be paid for items which are minimally described and are rarely expertly checked over. But that does now seem to be the way of the world. Sellers must be very pleased, and the auctioneers, who are acting in the sellers' interest of course, must be too.

Cheers,

GJ

Heatercathodeshort 19th Jan 2021 4:59 pm

Rather a sad sight. Someone's collection no doubt. One of ours? The portable radio receivers were a bargain and what were in those valve boxes! John.

Pamphonica 20th Jan 2021 12:16 pm

The Emor globe, sad looking, went for £400, and the Beam Echo amp went for £950, so there were a lot of eager watchers. I agree that this auction, of a single estate, is a bit sad. Someone clearly spent a long time not only collecting but very clearly restoring/mending all those radios.
On some of the recent commercial/ex-MOD auctions, prices for "as seen" testgear including Avo CT160 valve testers have exceeded normal market prices for working gear.
Let's face it, with no nice events to go to since last March, we have quite a bit of spending money saved up so it needs to go somewhere! Roll on the BVWS online auction...
-Jeremy

Gabe001 21st Jan 2021 8:03 am

And these radios are already appearing on eBay with a mark-up and absolutely nothing done to them....

Does anyone know whether the bvws hammer prices attract an additional premium?

Gabriel

Pamphonica 21st Jan 2021 11:50 am

BVWS auction prices at live auctions are hammer price. No VAT or "buyer's premium". The seller pays a percentage fee on each sale.
-Jeremy

slidertogrid 21st Jan 2021 12:10 pm

And these radios are already appearing on eBay with a mark-up and absolutely nothing done to them....

That is almost inevitable. I often see vintage equipment sold at local auctions subsequently marked up and listed on ebay sometimes at a massive mark-up. This seems to be how some people make a living.
This even happens with lots sold at BVWS auctions despite there being a ban on this practice. I disposed of some unwanted sets at one of the swap-meets some years ago only for them to appear on ebay a week or so later but what can you do ? Once someone has bought something it is theirs to do with what they want... I knew I could have got more on ebay but I couldn't be doing with the hassle of packing them.
Rich

Gabe001 21st Jan 2021 12:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamphonica (Post 1332982)
BVWS auction prices at live auctions are hammer price. No VAT or "buyer's premium". The seller pays a percentage fee on each sale.
-Jeremy

Thanks jeremy

Valvepower 21st Jan 2021 2:51 pm

Hello,

As regards the gentleman who's collection it was, I was told, when I picked up the Toaster and the Japanese AA5 et. al., it all belonged to a Mr Buckhurst in the local [Southend] area.

The Super Black Box won't be on eBay, for as much the Wife would love to do so :-D

I'm heading over to the the factory next Monday morning and whist on the Ind. estate I'll pop over to the auction rooms then and pick up the SBB.

At a tangent, I had a look at the BVWS on-line auction and it's superb, hats off to Mike and the guys for doing a sterling job :thumbsup: However when I registered I couldn't find the "on-line" café with drinks, cake and choc-ice nearing the end of the auction :-D

Terry

audiomagpie 21st Jan 2021 3:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valvepower (Post 1333067)

At a tangent, I had a look at the BVWS on-line auction and it's superb, hats off to Mike and the guys for doing a sterling job :thumbsup: However when I registered I couldn't find the "on-line" café with drinks, cake and choc-ice nearing the end of the auction :-D

Terry

Bit nippy for choc-ices Terry, we'll have to see if we can do a virtual hot broth!

And yes hats off to Mike, without all his hard work this wouldn't be happening....

Valvepower 21st Jan 2021 4:11 pm

To use the “Arthur Daley” …. Mike “The Gavel” Barker had done a fine job clearing the BVWS lock-up :):)

Terry

murphymad 21st Jan 2021 11:44 pm

Terry, All,

This is just scratching the Surface of what is here in the store.

And we have a good number of other collections still to get and process (not much chance of that at the moment though).
Apart from now being untidy from all of my moving about, it does not look any more empty than when I started...

Mike 'The Gavel' Barker...

GrimJosef 22nd Jan 2021 9:45 am

I'm not sure what's worse Mike. You've taken stuff out, but the store doesn't look any emptier. I tidied up the items currently at the back of our living room (yes, SWMBO is a saint) so the collection looks smaller, but the only real difference is that now when I want something every single one of the other things will be stacked on top of it !

Cheers,

GJ

Cobaltblue 22nd Jan 2021 10:27 am

As this auction is now completed its time to do the same to this thread.

Cheers

Mike T