UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pre-war Decca Series 38/1 Television receiver (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156218)

Atlantic 52 2nd May 2019 11:48 am

Pre-war Decca Series 38/1 Television receiver

1 Attachment(s)
Hello to all,
I have been lucky enough to obtain an unmolested Decca PC/ML console radio to restore. It was purchased new in 1939. Very fortunately it came with its sales receipt and nicely detailed general Decca range brochure of that time which makes for some very interesting reading. This Decca TV got me thinking as I have never heard of a surviving Pre-War Decca television.
That 60gns in 1939 would be about £4,100 in today's money!
Do any of our forum members know if any have survived? Thanks.

Duke_Nukem 2nd May 2019 12:08 pm

Re: Pre-war Decca Series 38/1 Television receiver

No Decca prewar TV's are known to have survived (same for an associated name, Brunswick). There is a useful list of recorded pre-war tvs on the Early Television Foundation website.

Any chance of a higher resolution scan for my website ? This is also a TV model I was not aware of, what indicates it is 1939 ? Just curious, as sometimes you see adverts/leaflets saying things like for example "the 1939 range" in magazines from 1938.

TTFN,
Jon

Atlantic 52 2nd May 2019 12:14 pm

Hello Jon,
The brochure was with the radio and it mentions 1939 in the description of the PT/AW radio. It could be that the brochure was printed in 1938 for the new '39 range I guess. The TV number of 38/1 would suggest a 1938 TV wouldn't it. I can send you the High res scan in 1200dpi, just PM me for the email.
Regards,
George

Duke_Nukem 2nd May 2019 8:01 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Many thanks George, have received your scans, excellent!

I've hastily stitched some images together and attached a reduced size/quality version (to fit forum) as it shows some of the radios as well as the television. A quick surf around the net so far shows the featured radios were all released in 1937 and 1938 (for example refer the Radiomuseum). Also I need to check but I'm sure I read somewhere (the Radio! Radio! book??) that press button tuning was the big feature of 1938.

If I were a gambling man, I'd go for around September 1938 since the brochure mentions 1939 models, often the case around Radiolympia time.

TTFN,
Jon

Atlantic 52 2nd May 2019 11:13 pm

Many thanks Jon,
You did a great job in joining up the scans! I found the date of the PC/ML just now, December 1938. Getting the Autotuning unit off the chassis is a pain..The set is amazingly original, I don't think its had any replacement parts except for an odd valve.