UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Museums section? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134015)

Guest 14th Feb 2017 6:27 pm

Museums section?

How about a museums section, I like visiting them and a lot of the smaller ones are well worth visiting if they were known about.

HamishBoxer 14th Feb 2017 9:30 pm

Re: Museums section?

Unless it is already covered by the Website section?

AC/HL 15th Feb 2017 1:25 am

It Depends on the context of the thread, but unless featuring a specific item they are usually in Clubs Groups and Societies.

kellys_eye 15th Feb 2017 9:15 am

On a similar line - how about a section devoted to individual makes/models where the posts can only be related to 'things to look for when restoring....' or 'replacing the....' or 'common fault symptoms...' etc.

No replies allowed - only informative details, pics etc.

Many DIY-style forums I frequent have similar 'pinned post' sections.

Dave Moll 15th Feb 2017 11:14 am

My personal feeling is that there are already sufficient sections to cover the range of interests relevant to the forum and that further ones would only complicate matters.

vidjoman 15th Feb 2017 11:42 am

Agree with Dave Moll. On a genealogy forum I look at there are 100's of sections and post end up anywhere because you can't find the right place. Less is more.

Paul Stenning 15th Feb 2017 12:54 pm

I think for things like museums a sticky thread somewhere is probably a better approach. Unless we are going to have lots of discussions and photos etc from each museum (there has been nothing like that previously so it seems unlikely) then a whole section would be excessive.

Radio Wrangler 15th Feb 2017 5:45 pm

How about a map with markers for museums, likked to more info or their own websites... and markers for other sites of interest (Birkett's Anchor Surplus etc) Locations of old buildings used by manufacturers. So anyone going to some area can see at a glance the places of interest that could be visited.

David

Paul Stenning 15th Feb 2017 7:25 pm

That is not something that can be done within the forum software, and I don't have the time to find or create something to do it at the moment. A list with addresses and websites etc would be a good start.

MurphyNut 16th Feb 2017 4:47 am

Sounds like a great idea, a list would be very welcome.

Voxophone 16th Feb 2017 5:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellys_eye (Post 919285)
On a similar line - how about a section devoted to individual makes/models where the posts can only be related to 'things to look for when restoring....' or 'replacing the....' or 'common fault symptoms...' etc.

No replies allowed - only informative details, pics etc.

Many DIY-style forums I frequent have similar 'pinned post' sections.

A while ago I thought about suggesting something similar but as an excel spreadsheet. There would be a tab for each model with pictures, details of faults, details of components not obvious from Trader sheets etc. Basically whatever is relevant.

Whenever someone makes a post and manages to solve a problem with a particular model, they would be encouraged to add their experience to the spreadhseet for future reference. Likewise anyone starting to restore a particular model could download a brief summary of known faults.

I'm not sure how much appetite or need there would be for this. Not much to do with museums anyway so maybe needs a new thread if people are interested?

Liam

Guest 16th Feb 2017 6:56 pm

Made a start...
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...735#post919735