UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ingelen Geographic - proud owner (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128064)

radio_romania 14th Jul 2016 9:09 pm

Ingelen Geographic - proud owner

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,
My name is Ciprian, I am from Romania and I have a passion for old radios. I just found an Ingelen Geographic radio for sale here in my country (which is rare here), I called right away and after a few days, it was sitting in my livingroom. It's a U-Super 438 WG (1937/1938 maybe), pretty complete and in overall good shape. I think all parts are original. I disassembled it and now I'm in a search of the right repairman in my country. Will keep you posted.

Here are some more pictures:
http://oldbaiamare.blogspot.ro/2016/07/ingelen.html

Hope it's OK for me to post on this forum, but maybe you can answer some of my questions I'll have about it.

PS. English is not my first language, but I will do my best :)

Herald1360 15th Jul 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Ingelen Geographic - proud owner

That's a very good looking set- somewhat art deco with an unusual but effective tuning dial.

Definitely something to be proud of- I would be!

Best of luck getting it sorted, it shouldn't be too difficult- it looks quite conventional inside.

Looks like one of these:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ingelen..._us_538wg.html

Reelman 15th Jul 2016 3:44 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Don't worry your English is better than some of us native speakers.
Very attractive radio, I do like the dial. Would like to see a picture of it when you know the radio is safe to use and switched on.
Peter

camtechman 15th Jul 2016 4:12 pm

Quote:

English is not my first language, but I will do my best
I agree with Reelman:

Quote:

Don't worry your English is better than some of us native speakers
Welcome to this site and thank you for the photos of your fabulous radio.

newlite4 15th Jul 2016 4:36 pm

Fantastic early use of fibre optics on that dial. The placement of those glass "light pipes" must have been a very demanding task - an art form in itself. Thanks for sharing this with us Ciprian, we are very unlikely to see anything like this in the UK.
Neil

Guest 15th Jul 2016 5:02 pm

A rather splendid set, I look forward to seeing it fully restored. Pity I can't play with it then.

radio_romania 21st Jul 2016 7:51 pm

Thank you all for your nice words, the radio will be completely restored, I will ship the cabinet these days for refinishing. I will keep you posted.

Herald1360 22nd Jul 2016 1:04 pm

:thumbsup:

;D

HamishBoxer 22nd Jul 2016 1:29 pm

Very nice rare and interesting set.

Tractionist 22nd Jul 2016 2:11 pm

Wow!

SteveCG 22nd Jul 2016 3:11 pm

Ciprinian,

An impressive tuning dial!

A question for you about mains voltages in Romania (where I assume the radio was used back in 1937/1928). I suppose the voltage is 220 now - but what was it back then?

radio_romania 22nd Jul 2016 4:49 pm

Yes, the voltage since 1950s is 220, but before that it was 110V. This Ingelen supports 110-130-150-200-220-240V.

SteveCG 23rd Jul 2016 11:25 am

Thanks Ciprian for that. I note the radio could run on 150 volts. This is not the only radio (or tape-recorder) to have such a voltage tapping option. I'm still trying to find out where in Europe such a voltage was in use ! (a long term goal for me)

radio_romania 7th Aug 2016 3:35 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Finally, I have some news and updates. Work at the wooden case has been started, the old finish has been taken off with chemicals, the few spots with missing veneer were repaired, and the whole case was sanded and prepared for new varnish. After a long search, I found a chrome plating shop and I shipped all the metallic ornaments to be rechromed, can't wait to get them back ;D

radio_romania 9th Aug 2016 9:48 am

2 Attachment(s)
After 2 coats of lacquer:

Oldelectronics 9th Aug 2016 12:10 pm

Beautiful cabinet and finish.

Kev

radio_romania 12th Aug 2016 8:52 am

2 Attachment(s)
The cabinet after 5 coats of lacquer:

mark_in_manc 12th Aug 2016 9:28 pm

Eee, that's lovely.

I spent today repairing a Victorian 4 panel door that my friend's errant 5 year old son had kicked in. It came out well, but I wish I'd been working on something as exciting as this! ;D

I'd really like to see that dial lit. If it were mine I'd be scared stiff of dropping the tub full of glass tubes!!

PaulR 12th Aug 2016 9:55 pm

Definitely a thread to watch!

radio_romania 13th Aug 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks for watching, the complete restoration will be presented here, including the big moment: the working dial, with pictures and, why not, a movie :)