UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Dishwasher Hose Replacement (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=140024)

Bazz4CQJ 22nd Sep 2017 3:39 pm

Dishwasher Hose Replacement

The drainage hose on my elderly (but otherwise, fully functional) Indesit dishwasher has become brittle and is leaking. The connectiion to the pump is not yet visble - will need to up-end the machine to get at it. It seems like the specific hose is no longer available but there are some Universal ones around. Does anyone have any experience of replacing such a hose? It needs to be a sound repair as the whole kitchen floods nicely when the machine empties :(.

B

Station X 22nd Sep 2017 4:07 pm

Re: Dishwasher Hose Replacement

Remove the old hose and take it to one of the "appliance spares" stores or market stalls to be found in every large town. They're bound to have something which will do the job.

DIY repair of white goods ia alive and well!

Silicon 22nd Sep 2017 4:16 pm

The reason it is brittle and leaking is that it was made from poor materials in the first place.

A hose from an AEG machine would be my choice.

G6Tanuki 22nd Sep 2017 6:15 pm

Don't bother replacing it with a rubber hose: it'll fail the same way as your original.

Silicone hose [rated to silly pressures/temperatures] is available - used for coolant/oil-pipes on race cars. It's not cheap to buy but *is* really cheap compared with the time- and hassle-cost of sorting-out a flood. And it'll still be leakproof when you're in your grave.

See the likes of http://www.burtonpower.com/samco-sil...lue-shl22.html - longer lengths are available.

Boater Sam 22nd Sep 2017 7:04 pm

Dishwashers now use a corrugated plastic hose with 18mm ID rubber cuffs on both end for hose clips fit on.
Washing machines usually have a larger cuff on one end.
Any spares outlet, shop, market or on line will have them. Ebay will supply your needs by post quickly.

Reelman 22nd Sep 2017 7:26 pm

Beware if you tilt a used dishwasher on its back. It may contain "stale" water which will absolutely stink and run out into the boot of the hire car you have got just to transport it.

How do I know this.....?

Peter

David G4EBT 22nd Sep 2017 7:54 pm

Presumably you mean the internal drain hose Barrie - not the standard external one?

I've always found e-spares excellent for washing machine and vacuum cleaner spares.

They might well have what you need. Indesit spares can be found at this link:

http://www.espares.co.uk/browse/at10...%20spare|pmt|b

Hope that might help a bit.

Good luck with the repair.

Nickthedentist 22nd Sep 2017 8:06 pm

Another good company to deal with, with very good info by e-mail too: https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

Bazz4CQJ 22nd Sep 2017 9:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 977487)
DIY repair of white goods is alive and well!

Absolutely; I was horrified when my 30+ years old Hotpoint washer stuttered to a halt a while ago, but it turned out to be nothing more than the need for new brushes on the motor.

Thanks for the various encouraging comments; all it needs is something like this http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es4...facturerId=805. Looks like there are two standard sizes. I will need to place it on its side to get at it, but from the quick-look I've already taken, I could not see what holds the pipe on the pump on this model; I guess that it is nothing very complex, but I've done all the floor mopping I can take for one day, so I'll start again tomorrow :).

B

Station X 22nd Sep 2017 9:52 pm

One other point. Turning a dishwasher or washing machine on its side may cause the tube connecting the sump or tub to the level sensor to fill with water (it should contain air). Then it won't operate correctly until the tube is disconnected to drain out the water.

You can guess how I know this!

AC/HL 23rd Sep 2017 1:49 am

1 Attachment(s)
All the machines I've done battle with used a spring clip to hold the various hoses in place. Slip joint pliers are just the job, quick and easy to use. Leaning the machine at an angle against the kitchen unit should be enough

David G4EBT 23rd Sep 2017 5:24 am

There's a step by step video of how to do it on espares site at the link below.

The machine they use for the demo is a Zanussi but they're all very similar:

http://www.espares.co.uk/advice/care...achine-zanussi

As you'll see, they lie the machine on its side.

Bazz4CQJ 23rd Sep 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks Guys; forewarned is forearmed!

B

Boater Sam 23rd Sep 2017 4:19 pm

Better to turn it completely upside down, it will empty the sump and the air chambers, another mop job. Do take your china tea service and the racks out first!
Whilst you have it over, take the thin air tube off the pressure switch and blow down it to clear the gunge and any water out of the air chamber.

Bazz4CQJ 23rd Sep 2017 5:51 pm

I've done it; used a small axle stand ;D to prop it up and the hose was held in place by a spring clip and so I got that off. Then I put it back down without the hose on... and a pint or two of water appeared on the floor!

Anyway, given that I'm at least 7 miles from the nearest professional repair shop, I'd guess that I'm saving myself at least ~£60 (North Oxfordshire prices) ?
I'll have a look at the pressure switch when I put the new hose on!

B

julie_m 23rd Sep 2017 10:43 pm

I had my washing machine (OK, not exactly a dishwasher, but the same people work on them both) repaired about 10 years ago -- it needed a new program timer knob -- and that set me back £45; it would have been fifty, but the juke box in my front room charmed the repairer into knocking a fiver off! (I had already attempted a replacement myself, but was unable to strip the machine down beyond a certain point so put it all back together again rather than risk making matters worse. As it turned out, I was actually nearly right; but I had seriously underestimated the strength of the spring clips holding the control panel in place. Still, I would know next time.) And that's in Derby, and a decade ago. So, yes, not a bad saving you have made yourself there!

It's scary how much mess a small amount of water can look like. A litre will fit into a cube 10cm. on a side; but when spread out in a puddle just 1mm. thick, it will have an area of 1m². If it formed into a circle, it would have a diameter of 1.128m! And the sponge that absorbs it all will become a kilo heavier.

TonyDuell 24th Sep 2017 6:48 pm

My late father was bedridden for the last year of his life and had these absorbant pads that were placed under him in the bed to soak up any body fluids. After he passed away I had at least half a pack unused.

I have found them very useful when dismantling bits of plumbing, washing machines, etc. Obviously drain out all the water you can, but putting one of these pads under the parts when disconnecting pipes will catch the drips. In fact I used up all I had and bought another pack. You can get them from most pharmacies, companies that sell aids for the eldery, etc.

dseymo1 24th Sep 2017 8:21 pm

I appreciate that it's not always possible, for various reasons, but I've always tried to arrange a gulley beneath dishwasher and washing machine, so that any flooding isn't a disaster.

mark_in_manc 25th Sep 2017 6:24 pm

This is a heartening thread. I hope I've just finished the latest battle with my 17 yr old washing machine - multiple simultaneous problems (it needed motor brushes, a door micro-switch and the small coins blocking the pump diagnosing and removing) really did my head in. I couldn't get down to the micro-switch on the door, but undoing it and doing it up again seems to have disturbed it enough that it thinks the door is securely shut, for the time being!

Last time the pump made a terrible noise I bought a new one from one of the suppliers listed up-thread, only to find a lolly stick rattling on the impeller in the old (undamaged) one. Not the first time I've bought spares 'to be prepared', as it turns out needlessly, before pulling something apart.

Kitchen floor ended up a lot cleaner, anyway, with all that soapy water floating about.