UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Blaupunkt Arkansas (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=143575)

P'TangYangKippe 1st Feb 2018 10:52 pm

Blaupunkt Arkansas

5 Attachment(s)
Hello learned folk of the forum. I am hoping someone can help me identify the exact model and year of manufacture of this Arkansas I have bought. I have heard it and by golly it sounds wonderful. I think the deck is a Garrard 2025. I thank you in advance for any attention given. :wave:

kevinb 2nd Feb 2018 11:43 am

Re: Blaupunkt Arkansas

Checking on google it seems to be 1960's vintage but could be earlier no one seems to know

Edward Huggins 2nd Feb 2018 11:53 am

If the deck in there is the original (a Garrard model 2025) this comes from 1966/67 and is an early transisitor model.

ms660 2nd Feb 2018 11:58 am

Not exactly the same but the chassis might be similar to this transistorised one:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=121484

Lawrence.

paulsherwin 2nd Feb 2018 12:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Huggins (Post 1013415)
If the deck in there is the original (a Garrard model 2025) this comes from 1966/67 and is an early transisitor model.

The controls and tuning scale do have a late 60s Grundig look to them.

MotorBikeLes 2nd Feb 2018 6:55 pm

No stereo as far as I can see, nor a decoder input socket on the back, so for a high end German radio/gram, it must surely be 1962 at the latest.
But then there is no "valve diagram" on the back, so maybe it is a later fully transistorised machine. So, if not valved, then late '60's,but I still don't see any stereo?
Les.

julie_m 2nd Feb 2018 7:13 pm

There are right and left speaker sockets, suggesting it has at least a stereo amplifier even if no FM multiplex.

Nuvistor 2nd Feb 2018 7:17 pm

There is a mono/AFC button and a lit Stereo indicator on the front panel.

GRID LEAK 2nd Feb 2018 7:19 pm

There does appear to be a stereo indicatot light above the tuning knob. I reckon late '60s.

ms660 2nd Feb 2018 7:20 pm

Not to mention the stereo badge on the cabinet....

Lawrence.

regentone001 2nd Feb 2018 10:37 pm

there is also a balance control, second from left.

P'TangYangKippe 2nd Feb 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks ever so much for taking the trouble to answer guys. Much appreciated. So assuming it is not valve powered, is that really too much of a negative? It certainly souds lovely.

P'TangYangKippe 3rd Feb 2018 6:05 pm

I have to pick it up from Manchester and transport it to Cornwall. Any advice guys? With the deck, do the transit screws have to be right down? Must it travel upright? Thanks

music-centre 3rd Feb 2018 7:03 pm

I transported the valve version of this a couple of years ago, just laid it on its back on a couple of old sofa cushions in the back of my Focus and screwed the transit screws right down with a couple of pieces of cardboard between the deck and the wood in case it marked it, didn't get any damage.
If you have any cushions/foam you can put them between the unit and side of the car in case it slides but it should be fine.
It may be worth checking that those sliding doors cant come out of the tracks and fall inside.

The high gloss finish on these looks nice if in good condition I think, but can be damaged quite easily.
Steve.

P'TangYangKippe 3rd Feb 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks some good advice there. Will do likewise with the cardboard. Was going to transport it upright in my van. About the finish on them. If there are chips and scratches etc can they be repaired or polished out?

plaka78 4th Feb 2018 10:44 am

1 Attachment(s)
Chances are the volume control is extremely noisy and intermittent. It is a non standard dual control.
I had 100% by taking it apart and giving it a good clean and retention the wipers.

P'TangYangKippe 6th Feb 2018 4:32 pm

Yes the volume control is noisy but I don't have the skills to refurb like you have done. Will a squirt of the switch cleaner help? ???

P'TangYangKippe 6th Feb 2018 4:38 pm

Hi all, ok I now have the thing in my possession. I wonder if any of you can advise me on a couple of things?
Firstly, the Garrard works but only manually. None of the automatic functions work. I can put it on Manual and cue/uncue the record myself. Is it likely a novice like myself could fix this? If so, how?
Secondly, how do I upgrade the sets ability to receive a radio signal? The amp and radio are working fine I think but are being let down by the signal received. It has funny connections on the back. The local shop does antenna with Coaxial connector. Excuse my ignorance please. Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks

PsychMan 6th Feb 2018 4:39 pm

Quite possibly, it wont hurt to try some switch cleaner, that's usually the first port of call. Beyond that its either a tear down as Plaka78 has said, or replacement.

PsychMan 6th Feb 2018 4:44 pm

The deck will be dried up grease. Its not too complicated to stripdown and regrease the cam and clean the trip pawl, often that's enough. Sometimes other parts need a clean and regrease also. If you want to learn, be patient and have a go, I did this for the first time 5 or 6 years ago and found it ok.

Does it have an internal frame antenna? If not you need to give it some kind of antenna, sometimes a length of wire is enough. Its likely the connections wont be coax plug, but probably wander plugs or maybe screw terminals. Wander plugs can be improvised with anything you can bung in that holds the wire in, or cotter pins of the right size. The outer sheaf of coax goes to the ground connector, the inner bit to the "antenna" connection. Depends what you want to receive on it, for FM there should be something in a shop you can coax into operation (see what I did there ;))