UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   And another record changer to identify (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=182197)

hayerjoe 24th Jul 2021 9:43 am

And another record changer to identify

1 Attachment(s)
See photo,. Pretty sure it's of British origin, and uses a familiar mechanism

Cobaltblue 24th Jul 2021 9:45 am

Re: And another record changer to identify

Record players are not really my thing but it looks like a Decca Deccalian (Mk4 ?) and ISTR they were fitted with Garrard AT6 autochangers.

Cheers

Mike T

hayerjoe 24th Jul 2021 9:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobaltblue (Post 1392468)
Record players are not really my thing but it looks like a Decca Deccalian (Mk4 ?) and ISTR they were fitted with Garrard AT6 autochangers.

Cheers

Mike T

You must have a very good zoom Mike!

Cobaltblue 24th Jul 2021 10:10 am

I owned a Deccalian for many years with it's stereo adapter.

It was a pretty decent player for a portable (luggable).

I retained the very similarly styled loading feature (also a Cliff Richards fan) when I parted with the player some 20 years ago during the second big clear out.

Cheers

Mike T

Ekcoman 24th Jul 2021 10:25 am

I noticed that in the Bob Dylan film "Dont look back" 1964 he had one in his hotel room.

Nickthedentist 24th Jul 2021 10:41 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobaltblue (Post 1392468)

Cheers

Mike T

Yes, definitely an Autoslim derivative: you can see the boomerang -like size sensor.

hayerjoe 24th Jul 2021 12:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobaltblue (Post 1392478)
I owned a Deccalian for many years with it's stereo adapter.

It was a pretty decent player for a portable (luggable).

I retained the very similarly styled loading feature (also a Cliff Richards fan) when I parted with the player some 20 years ago during the second big clear out.

Cheers

Mike T

Yery sensible to keep it I think. Despite what people say they are well built and reliable. Sure the mechanism can get a bit stiff over the years, but nothing a bit of love and attention can't fix, and then they'll almost certainly outlive us

Edward Huggins 24th Jul 2021 1:21 pm

......well, they'll certainly last a bit longer than Crosley......

Robint 47 24th Jul 2021 2:21 pm

Yes its a Deccalian 4D/E front grille and control knobs with handle on side suspect blue, should have a serial no plaque on the back.Deccalian 4 were in a wooden cabinet also using garrard AT6, both using a deram cartridge.
Robin

hayerjoe 25th Jul 2021 9:33 am

Actually all along I was talking about the girl in the photo, thought it would make people smile! But many thanks for identifying what was going on record-player-wise in the photo. You are an admirably PC lot on this forum, well done and/or commiserations. Now back to researching those slender legs and leatherette features!